Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lately I've been looking at a lot of research about how migraines can cause dissociation. Turns out that dissociative symptoms are common in people with chronic migraine. Now I've had migraines for about 4 years now, like once or twice every month. Does anyone have any other information on this? I don't know if this is something that really affects my dpdr, because I suffer a lot more of anxiety and depression. Just thought someone else might experience this too and if there's anything else to do in terms of recovery?
Although I will say that ever since my dpdr started, I haven't once had a migraine. It's very odd, I have no idea how that could've happened, I figured it would get worse.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I started having visual spells after a neuro=psychiatric trauma at age 17. I would develop blind spots in one eye which would quickly progress to both eyes.

A shimmering sawtooth wave would slowly appear in my field of vision and I couldn't see around it. It would become very large and bright and almost blind me

after about 20 minutes. Then, it would slowly fade to a generalized snow and finally my vision would clear. The whole thing would take 30-35 minutes and it

could happen two or three times in a week, or not happen for 6 weeks. I wouldn't identify the trauma at 17 or this visual phenomena for decades.

Finally, I recognized the visuals as migraine aura. Perhaps 15 years later, I identified the initial trauma as a temporal lobe seizure. From there, I figured it all

out and identified the rare epileptic syndrome I was suffering from. It is little understood even today. Researchers now understand there is a relationship

between migraine and epilepsy. "Migraine - The Borderlands of Epilepsy" is the title of a British research paper. My local health conglomerate just opened an Epilepsy

Clinic. It will also treat Migraine. Dissociative illness has also been strongly correlated with Epilepsy. Major depression is also connected to Epilepsy.

They should have just asked me. It could have told them all about it 50 years ago. I had an EEG performed. It was abnormal, indicating I had a history of epileptic

seizure. I lived 40 years with this shit without understanding any of it. It dominated my existence and robbed me of life's pleasures. The EEG was huge in helping

me sort out my illness. I recommend it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow okay. I wouldn't necessarily say that my migraines are mainly aura. I have some sawtooth waves in the corners of my eyes for like 10 minutes maybe, but then it's basically "just" extreme headache, throwing up and light sensitivity. Your experience seems quite different, the vision doesn't bother me that much when I have migraines.

Idk maybe I'm misunderstanding what epilepsy is, but I truly believe what I have are migraines, my doctor confirmed that (but she might be wrong I guess). I've always thought epilepsy are attacks where the body shuts off and you collapse. I started having migraines after a heart surgery in 2016, so I would say it's more related to that, maybe my body reacted on the stress around that? But I'll for sure look into having an EEG, just to be on the safe side. I would not go as far as calling it epilepsy though, my migraines are probably just migraines. Thanks for the response!:)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

The above youtube video gives an indication of migraine with aura. My auras were typically a bit larger and presented an

arced shimmering sawtooth wave from horizon to horizon, blocking about 70% of my visual field. I did not experience pain with my migraine,

but I did feel run down after experiencing one.

If a migraine aura is a mild electrical storm in the brain. An epileptic seizure is a much bigger electrical storm. Not all seizures result in loss of consciousness.

I could experience a focal temporal lobe seizure next to you, and you might not notice. I could just withdraw from a conversation, and

pick the lint off the sleeve of my shirt for a moment or two, until my full consciousness was restored. I might feel an intense sensation of deja vu for

a moment or two. That's another common focal temporal lobe seizure it would take an EEG to identify..

Certainly you can have headaches which are unrelated to epilepsy..Not all headaches are migraines, though people tend to equate painful headache with migraine.

I had 5 bypasses some 20 years ago. There didn't seem to be

any connection between chronic heart disease (a plumbing issue), and my migraine auras (electronics issue). I will say my 5 episodes of

major depression with severe insomnia contributed to my heart disease. Long periods without adequate sleep are very stressful on the body.

A big relief for me was just understanding what was happening to me. It is fairly concerning when you are subject to spells which can almost blind you

for 30 minutes without warning. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts