Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so have been dealing and managing the chronic DPD for about 4 years now and have tried quite a bunch of things along the way, from simple distraction to diet, exercise and some SSRIs. And if I was honest, nothing has really seemed to make a difference so far. I felt it could possibly be linked to my generalized anxiety, so around about a year or so ago I started to really give mindful meditation (simply observing your thoughts) more focus and something really weird keeps happening, every single time I meditate! I feel the anxiety diminish and even DP slightly lift and then boom - a seizure type of feeling in the brain, it almost feels like as I am finally coming back in body there is so much electrical activity in the brain, that it immediately dissociates to protect me. And everytime I get these "mini" seizures, I get these feeling like I am about to die/pass out and almost lose any sense of where I am..I swear this is exactly what it feels like and has been going on every single time I meditate..I have done EEG and MRIs in the past and nothing has showed up..but I am starting to suspect there might be some seizure activity going on. Consulted with a neurologist, he said it couldn't be seizures as my DPD is chronic and not episodic.. really baffled at what to do.. would appreciate any suggestions or feedback from anyone with simillar experience?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Sometimes in meditation, trance or deep relaxation you can reach a point where you really let go and your energy is released. It can be like a jolt and be a bit alarming. Letting go can be scary and feel like we're losing control if you're not used to it, so we can then react against it. I don't know if this is what you're describing, as it can be quite hard to tell what people mean exactly when talking about these things.

It wouldn't hurt to go for more scans or get a second opinion, but I'm not sure a seizure can happen on cue every time you meditate? I'm obviously not a neurologist though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts