Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people say that medication won’t work for dpdr ? They say that if you get your anxiety and depression under control then dpdr will go away. Well I get my anxiety and depression under control by using medication. I’m praying medication will help me because I’m lossing hope :(

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Usually its the anti medication brigade preaching it because they believe meds are BAD...I have a friend in work who constantly tells me that psychiatric meds are really bad while he puffs away on 20 cigarettes a day (Go figure LOL)

The main reason most people give up on medications is because after a couple of days on a new drug they often start to feel worse...Unfortunately they dont seem to understand that this is an adjustment period and long term the med is usually gonna do more good than harm...

People also often experience bad (genuine) side effects so will drop the med because of this...

Others are so OCD and panicky that they cant even put a pill in their mouth in the first place because they read somebodys negative story on the internet...Guess what?.....Half the stories on the internet are bullshit scaremongering crap.....

The truth is that medications can and do help a lot of people (Myself included)......The bad news is that because we all have different makeups it can be trial and error as to what works...

Of course the anti med brigade are gonna jump on this thread and tell you meds are bad and to try exercise and natural remedies etc...Thats all good if it works for you...But what they fail to understand is that other people are different and natural remedies dont do squat for alot of people...

The moral of the story when it comes to DP treatment is if you find something that helps (natural or medical) stick with it...........

The only psychiatric meds that in my opinion can cause problems are Benzos....Simply because of the addictive nature of the drugs due to tolerance levels building....With other drugs like atypicals and SSRIs you find a dose that works (usually low) and it works indefinitely...

Thats been my experience anyway...

Of course who am I to preach about the benefits of meds (Ive only been treating my DP with meds for nearly 30 years with no issues except for the fact they gave me my life back)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, I think a big part of it is that there are no meds specifically formulated for DP. Everyone's symptoms vary to some degree, and it's one thing to cancel out the anxiety/panic attacks (fairly easily done by way of SSRIs/benzos) but another thing entirely to tackle all the other symptoms that come along with DPDR.

That's why a lot of us here are forced to look for workarounds - natural treatments and supplements, and medications like (atypical) antipsychotics when technically we're not even psychotic. It's a case of trial and error, and finding a combination that allows you to stabilize your brain chemistry and regain as much of your former life as possible.

Some people are lucky in that they can treat their anxiety/depression through medication, and then find that the DP lifts, but that's far from a given in most cases. Yet some people preach that as the holy grail of recovery - just because it happened to work for them.

The other problem I find around here too is that a lot of people approach DP as if it's something logical - "I did this and it worked, so if you do this, you'll be cured as well." The other day I also read something along the lines of "well I had 3 drags of a joint and had DP for 6 months, so if you had a whole joint you'll probably have it for longer." But that's not how this works. DP doesn't scale logically, and it's different for everyone in terms of what works to alleviate it, and the length of time we're stuck with it.

Still, I'd always encourage anyone suffering to give meds a shot. What have you got to lose? Once you hit bottom you can only really go up. The trick is to persevere and get through the initial adjustment phase that Eddy described. If you can do that, you stand a good chance of at least some relief.

·
Registered
19 Posts
People try one med and say it doesn't work and they are screwed. Many dp sufferers (not all) have dp due to anxiety, which wom on with an anxious mind believes they will never recover. Took me many meds to find ou which one worked for me.. also I was scared to try meds for MONTHS because of stuff I'd read on this site.
I told my psychiatrist this not long ago and she said 'think of all those months you could have been happy'

·
Registered
15 Posts
My doctor put me on 4 mg of antipsychotics which was stupid because at the time I didn't know that I had DP and then when I went on this site and I figured out that I did. I did some research and found out that antipsychotics make symptoms worse so here I am taking an antipsychotic for no reason. When I go see him again I want to tell him I want to be off this garbage and I already know reading other people's comments on the internet that coming off antipsychotics is a giant pain in the ass. So thanks a lot to my doctor for completely f****** me over and for me being stupid enough to take them. 4 mg is apparently what schizophrenic people take and I'm not schizophrenic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also I forgot to add that I've been taking it for 7 months and I have tried stopping since I found out that it was DP but the withdrawal symptoms are brutal. I'm going to have to taper down when I see my doctor on November 14th.

·
Registered
382 Posts
idk man, just do what u think its best, dont let others tell u whats best man

i did take medication and it did bring me back to reality, like i was so far into dp and i would obsess over it and it fucked me up truly, but medicine brought me back down to dealing with it normally, im back on meds, trying to find the good med for me, some people get the perfect meds and feel completely normal on them, and if i have to take 2-3 pills a day to feel normal, man why the fuck not, but some people wing off and feel normal after that

who knows man, do what u feel is best

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.