Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently considering trying out naltrexone for my dissociation after looking at various studies and anecdotes online.

However, there seems to be two different trains of thought in terms of what dose of naltrexone to take. Some studies and people report success at low doses of naltrexone (1.5mg-6mg) while others report success at high doses (100mg-200mg).

Why the discrepancy? Reading articles, it seems that low dose naltrexone is almost like a different medication than high dose naltrexone. There is not a linear effect with the dosage.

I'm thinking of starting low dose naltrexone and then if that doesn't work, I want to try high dose naltrexone.

Thoughts?

· Registered
512 Posts
I tried low dose naltrexone and it seemed to work but just for a few days and then I didn't notice much difference. I tried again some years later by increasing the dosage slightly to something like 25 mg and it slightly increased my DR while i was taking it, so I don't know.
I read that high dose naltrexone will damage your liver (or kidneys?) on the long run. So I didn't even try, because I'm mostly interested in a long term treatment.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried low dose naltrexone and it seemed to work but just for a few days and then I didn't notice much difference. I tried again some years later by increasing the dosage slightly to something like 25 mg and it slightly increased my DR while i was taking it, so I don't know.
I read that high dose naltrexone will damage your liver (or kidneys?) on the long run. So I didn't even try, because I'm mostly interested in a long term treatment.
What symptoms do you have and how did it treat them?

It seems to me when we talk about dpdr we are talking about different things sometimes..

· Registered
512 Posts
I have mostly DR continuously, so feeling detached from reality, from the place's atmosphere, things are a bit 2D and distant. And I rarely have DP episodes, so not feeling familiar with myself and my thoughts and people I know. At that time I had only DR and the first time I tried naltrexone I felt more in reality very quickly after taking it, I could feel the atmosphere around me a bit more, and I had walks outside to enjoy the feeling. It was like my DR had reduced by one fourth, maximum. The second time, with the higher dosage, I had kind of the opposite effect. I felt my body less, for a few hours, things were more distant. It was ok, but still, it was the wrong direction.
But honestly, people have so different reactions to different meds, if there was one that worked for everybody I think we would know by now. So for me it would be even harder to expect that we could ascribe one specific effect on a symptom to a specific med. We tend to look at things in details, symptom by symptom, but I don't think meds work in this way. In the end it's just a mess. It's as if you were working with a tool with a very low precision, you don't need to look at things under a microscope to use it. You can, but it will not give you any useful information.

· Registered
512 Posts
May I ask what your dose was?

I'm starting 1.5mg tomorrow night and feel a bit nervous.
I had gotten a prescription for 25 mg, but I decided first to split the pills in 4. Which means my initial dose was about 6 mg.
If your experience is the same as mine there is no need to feel nervous. The effect seemed to last just for several hours, and it was not more intense than the effect you could feel when you drink a coffee, although obviously the effect is different in nature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts