Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to my doctor (who is amazing by the way) about low dose naltrexone. I phrased it as "here's something I'd like to try in the future, but I'd like to give you time to do your own research before prescribing something off-label." My amazing doctor pulls up the PubMed articles on her laptop, skims the abstract, prescribes me 4mg on the spot!! Long story short, I sent the script to the compounding pharmacy and now I wait. While I wait, I'm looking to hear reviews. Also, for those it did work for, how fast did you notice an improvement? For those that it didn't work for, how soon did you throw in the towel? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, where is your doctor located. We are having trouble getting both Neurologist and Psychiatrists to even take on my son simply because he has DP/DR. We want to try Naltrexone badly. Please help. Maybe well have to travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in NW Indiana. It's actually my primary MD that prescribed it. She's the only one that has taken my complaints seriously. She gave me a referral to neurology, but they refused the referral saying DR "wasn't a neurological problem." I saw a psych NP, but she was like a voodoo witch doctor type and I didn't go back to follow up. I did try her "herbal supplements" for a month without improvement. My midwife just labeled me "post-partum", gave me a script for Celexa, and has shown no interest in addressing it further. My primary MD is a godsend. Even if we don't get this fixed, at least I feel like my voice was heard and somebody took me seriously and tried to help!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am in NW Indiana. It's actually my primary MD that prescribed it. She's the only one that has taken my complaints seriously. She gave me a referral to neurology, but they refused the referral saying DR "wasn't a neurological problem." I saw a psych NP, but she was like a voodoo witch doctor type and I didn't go back to follow up. I did try her "herbal supplements" for a month without improvement. My midwife just labeled me "post-partum", gave me a script for Celexa, and has shown no interest in addressing it further. My primary MD is a godsend. Even if we don't get this fixed, at least I feel like my voice was heard and somebody took me seriously and tried to help!!
Welcome to the horrible world of dark ages treatment for mental ill health...

Its so bad its beyond belief...

Unfortunately because DP is not visible to them they dont want to treat it or worse still believe it doesnt exist and that we are "Just a little anxious"

I totally discharged myself from the mental health service here in Dublin years ago because the treatment I was receiving was so bad........

BTW Ive heard positive stuff about Naltrexone......Best of luck and keep us posted........

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Also dont get me started on Therapists either....They are just as bad as the shrinks and doctors........

Their favourite sayings are ................. "We can look at that again another time" OR "I see we are just coming up on the time" OR "That will be 100 dollars/euros please"

They disgust me.............

·
Registered
631 Posts
Also dont get me started on Therapists either....They are just as bad as the shrinks and doctors........

Their favourite sayings are ................. "We can look at that again another time" OR "I see we are just coming up on the time" OR "That will be 100 dollars/euros please"

Is there a difference between "therapists" and "shrinks"? I always thought they were the synonyms, the latter having a modestly derogatory connotation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just coming back to update. I've been on the LDN for about a month now and I haven't really noticed any changes. I'm going to keep taking it and hope it eventually does some good, but for right now I am super bummed. I feel like I've tried a million things and gotten my hopes up every time just to be let down. :(

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just coming back to update. I've been on the LDN for about a month now and I haven't really noticed any changes. I'm going to keep taking it and hope it eventually does some good, but for right now I am super bummed. I feel like I've tried a million things and gotten my hopes up every time just to be let down.
sad.png
Thats a shame...Keep trying...

·
Registered
235 Posts

I was going down the route of wanting to become a therapist myself until i lost all faith in the mental health system. I don't want to be just another person involved in something that causes as many problems as it fixes. The whole system is a total mess and the people who work within it need to be more honest about how much they really don't know about how the mind works and how mental illness should be treated.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I was going down the route of wanting to become a therapist myself until i lost all faith in the mental health system. I don't want to be just another person involved in something that causes as many problems as it fixes. The whole system is a total mess and the people who work within it need to be more honest about how much they really don't know about how the mind works and how mental illness should be treated.
This is the truth unfortunately.......

Personal Profit is at the centre of it which is pretty sad...

Welcome to the capitalist western world......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts