Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't taken a Klonopin in five days, which is the longest I've gone without it in two years. I am miserable and DPed as hell. Help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey ,

ive been on klonopin for two years and longest i went without it was 5 days (once) and recently, i went about 8 days... and sadly the only answer is either a-get some more klonopin or b-get some more klonopin then VERY GRADUALLY taper off of it.

i cant remember the website, but someone posted it regarding benzo withdrawals and i didnt realize until then how f-ing powerful benzos were on your body and how ridiculous the withdrawal effects were. a prominent doctor was advising a twelve-week tapering off period WITH the addition of valium to counter the effects of klono-withdrawal...
After the 8 days, (cold turkey, I ran out of money and no insurance...)
I WENT TOTALLY INSANE. And I don't mean in the way dp makes you FEEL insane, though you KNOW you are not. I WENT F-ING CRAZY. Sweating, muscle spasms, stomach pain, my mind felt like it was on fire, the f-ing crazies. It followed all the symptoms of what people have explained what heroin withdrawal was like.

Not good news or advice, I know. I dont know why you stopped taking it, if your doctor advised it then I guess tough it out...but if it was your own decision, kudos...but cold turkey is seriously not the way to get off klonopin.
keep trucking,
blake

G

·
What dose did you jump from gimpy? Klonopin is the hardest benzo to taper from for some reason. Its just so damn potent. I tried jumping from the lowest of klonopin dosages and barely made it a week before reinstating. All's you can do is duke it out and see if you can endure the pain or reinstate and use a better and safer method to get off the drugs. Sounds to me like you fast tapered or cold turkeyed. Thats a very dangerous route to go, ask dakotajoe.

Neal

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gimpy,

If I were you and I was off and still maintained my sanity, Id stick it out. In time, your gaba will readjust and you will feel better.

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
gimpy34 said:
I haven't taken a Klonopin in five days, which is the longest I've gone without it in two years. I am miserable and DPed as hell. Help.
What you need to do, if you wish to withdraw completely, is switch to a benzo with a much, much, much longer half-life. The half-life of the most "popular" benzo's, i.e., ativan, klonopoin, xanax, etc. is usually less than 50 hours. The half-time of VALIUM, also a benzo, is close to ONE WEEK!

Therefore, Valium is eliminated very, very slowly, which makes withdrawal much easier.

The undisputed expert on getting off benzo's in the most painless way possible is Dr. Heather Ashton.

Even though this link below contains A TON of information it is incredibly INVALUABLE to anyone wishing to withdraw from benzo's.

NOTE: Even though she indicates that the FAQ was not written by a Doctor, I remember specifically this same FAQ appearing in a Hard Copy manual I ordered from her web site years ago. And everything in that manual was written by her, A DOCTOR!

This info was not free until recently. I'm so glad it's free now...

BENZODIAZEPINE DEPENDENCY AND WITHDRAWAL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) file

Visit this below as well...

BENZODIAZEPINES: HOW THEY WORK
AND HOW TO WITHDRAW

Be Seeing You,

Jeff

·
Registered
663 Posts
The top link wasnt written by a doctor but contains valuable info. Your bottom link is the Ashton Manual. That was written by a very brilliant doctor and scientist who spent a lifetime researching these drugs.

Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
Heather Ashton
Newcastle upon Tyne
August 2002

ABOUT PROFESSOR C HEATHER ASHTON, DM, FRCP

Chrystal Heather Ashton DM, FRCP is Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psycho-pharmacology at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

Professor Ashton is a graduate of the University of Oxford and obtained a First Class Honours Degree (BA) in Physiology in 1951. She qualified in Medicine (BM, BCh, MA) in 1954 and gained a postgraduate Doctor of Medicine (DM) in 1956. She qualified as MRCP (Member of the Royal College of Physicians, London) in 1958 and was elected FRCP (Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London) in 1975. She also became National Health Service Consultant in Clinical Psychopharmacology in 1975 and National Health Service Consultant in Psychiatry in 1994.

She has worked at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne as researcher (Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor) and clinician since 1965, first in the Department of Pharmacology and latterly in the Department of Psychiatry. Her research has centred, and continues, on the effects of psychotropic drugs (nicotine, cannabis, benzodiazepines, antidepressants and others) on the brain and behaviour in man. Her main clinical work was in running a benzodiazepine withdrawal clinic for 12 years from 1982-1994.

She is at present involved with the North East Council for Addictions (NECA) of which she is former Vice-Chairman of the Executive Committee on which she still serves. She continues to give advice on benzodiazepine problems to counsellors and is patron of the Bristol & District Tranquilliser Project. She was generic expert in the UK benzodiazepine litigation in the 1980s and has been involved with the UK organisation Victims of Tranquillisers (VOT). She has submitted evidence about benzodiazepines to the House of Commons Health Select Committee.

She has published approximately 250 papers in professional journals, books and chapters in books on psychotropic drugs of which over 50 concern benzodiazepines. She has given evidence to various Government committees on tobacco smoking, cannabis and benzodiazepines and has given invited lectures on benzodiazepines in the UK, Australia, Sweden, Switzerland and other countries.

Professor Ashton may be contacted at:
Department of Psychiatry
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 4LP
England UK

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been tapering off of it for a while. I have relapsed a few times in between but am ultimately off of it. I'm not having horrible zap feelings or panic, I am just extremely, extremely out of it. I can't remember what I did five minutes ago.

·
Registered
809 Posts
dakotajo said:
The top link wasnt written by a doctor but contains valuable info. Your bottom link is the Ashton Manual. That was written by a very brilliant doctor and scientist who spent a lifetime researching these drugs.

Joe
Joe,

Do you have an original hard copy of the Ashton Manual? My hard copy includes the the info that allegedly was not written by a doctor. I ordered a hard copy directly from Dr. Ashton several years ago, before she put it up on her web site for free. Since this info is included in the Ashton Manual itself, I take it to be a part of the Ashton Manual.

Best,

Jeff

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've taken up to as much as 4 mg a day over the past two and a half years. I'd say on average I probably took 1.5 -2 mg.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gimpy,

Just hang in there. It will get better. You will probably very soon feel much better than you ever did while on this drug. Even after ct'ing my dose I probably was better in a few months. I know now that my withdrawal ended long ago, but it left me with very serotonin levels. Klonopin worked well for anxiety but all it was really doing was aggravating what was really wrong with me.

Joe

G

·
I see this topic come up from time to time. I have been taking this drug for about 4 years now (only 0.5 mg/day) and I have no noticable side effects and it works pretty darn well - even if I have a panic attack - it disolves quickly under the tonugue and take effect immediately. It may not have the punch of Xanax or Valium, but it does the trick. I have never had to increase my dosage, and even though I am supposed to take 1 mg/day, I keep it down to 0.5 so that I can go longer without it if I need to. My doc is OK with that.

Don't EVER just stop this drug cold turkey.

My doctor has told me that if I am doing OK with 0.5/day and occasioanlly skip a dose or two, and if that's my only complaint, I should be happy. The benefits far outweigh any problems I may have.

One must realize the stuggle involved here. Do you go through life putting unnecessary fear-induced stress on your mind and body or do you tollerate some side effects and be relatively normal, at least functional? I choose the latter...and try to have a positive outlook on it all.

Good luck I hope you find a solution..or at least a compromise. :?

·
Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member
544 Posts
Does Klonopin help DP/Dr at all?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends who you ask. I think it can help DP/DR in the event of a panic attack or extreme anxiety. But on the other hand it kind of slows your mind down, impairs concentration and memory, and can make you feel tired. So, in that respect it makes your DP worse. I think it made mine worse if you ask me.

One more thing. I guess I've been off Klonopin for a week now. I've recently gotten into The X-Files, which comes on TNT at 11 and 12, right before I go to bed. I've never really thought the show was scary at all but last night I was watching it and got scared sh*tless. It was kind of nice, though. I felt like my emotions were returning and becoming more attune to what was going on. Just a thought.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree with Gimpy. Very Short term its ok cause it works well for anxiety. Long term its a different story because its tolerance producing and will probably only aggravate an anxiety disorder.

Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gimpy,

The fear you have is irrational and its a symptom you can throw on the benzo withdrawal pile. It fades with time. I hear it all the time on benzo boards. I went thru it for a couple of months and at times it was almost complete paranoia. I remember going over to my mom-in-laws house to watch the football game and I totally freaked out with intense fear over something so ridiculous Id rather not mention it. I thought I was losing my mind. I look back now and it makes me sick what I went thru.

Joe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What fear are you reffering to, Joe? Being scared by the X-Files or of losing my mind. If you're talking about The X-Files, that was a good thing. I think it was the normal reaction. In my Klonopin induced stupor I was too detached from all emotions to even get scared by something like a TV show.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts