Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all... i was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of group help that exists for dp sufferers.. I know there are groups for depression, anxiety etc but i would llike to meet up with other people who actually know how i feel. if there are no groups i would be interested in meeting up with dp folks in london. please let me know if youd be intereted. :roll:

·
Registered
663 Posts
In my opinion, I think what you really need is an anxiety/panic group, if there is such a thing. I cant imagine a bunch of highly anxious people relaxed enough to open up to one another. Anxiety is the main symptom and dp/dr is only a bi-product of it. I believe most people that suffer from anxiety usually have experienced unreality. Unfortunately for some the anxiety is chronic so the dp/dr hangs around with it.

Joe

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Odd thing though. I have sought out support in Anxiety groups. Also attended a NAMI convention and went to both an Anxiety meeting and a PTSD meeting (a lot of war veterans in there.)

For some reason, the people in these groups, did NOT understand what DP was. I was stunned. Also, if you go to anxiety forums, some people, not all have DP.

I think we are a special subgroup. I think anxiety is clearly involved, but we are also able to dissociate and do so badly, so that it becomes chronic.

But that isn't to say you can't find help in a good anxiety group. I was disapointed in one recent one for a variety of reasons, but they did not understand what I was talking about and brushed it off as being "spacey."

I'm going to a NAMI consumer group meeting this month. (A different one from another group I loved in L.A.). People don't necessarily have DP, but they have other symptoms that are bad, and they can relate.

I've found seeking out any DP support very difficult and frustrating. In L.A. I helped get people from this Board together, and it was a good experience. That's a HUGE city. Where I live now, well, I have to go about an hour's drive to get better support.

But don't give up searching.
I'm in a negative mode today. Forgive.
Best,
D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to lead an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder support group and there was another woman there who had experienced dp, so it made me feel less alone. My psychiatrist told me that the majority of patients that come to see him and report dp symptoms are usually those diagnosed with OCD or panic disorders, probably the high levels of anxiety involved.
Funny, I once went to a support group for people of mixed diagnosis, many with schizophrenia, and not one person could relate to what I was talking about when I explained DP. So for all of you worried about schizophrenia (I used to be too!) I guess that is a positive sign!
I think my DP resulted from the terrifying obsessions I experience with my OCD, and I just got stuck escaping from the anxiety by using the dissociative feature of DP. Who knows, this is just my theory!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts