Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone who has recovered, how long did it take to get over light sensitivity? I hate going out of the house and being in places with bright lights because the light bothers my eyes and I feel more depersonalized and everything looks weird. I feel like I'm not real and everything isn't real. I feel like I can't go about my daily life. I had to quit my job because of this symptom as I couldn't do my job safely. Does this symptom go away after a while? I have bouts of DP at home, but for the most part I feel normal if I'm in a darker room, but once I go out, I can't handle the DP. I'd say I'm on the road to recovery because I used to have really bad DP at home, but now it's not as bad. The light sensitivity is the one thing that really bothers me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyone who has recovered, how long did it take to get over light sensitivity? I hate going out of the house and being in places with bright lights because the light bothers my eyes and I feel more depersonalized and everything looks weird. I feel like I'm not real and everything isn't real. I feel like I can't go about my daily life. I had to quit my job because of this symptom as I couldn't do my job safely. Does this symptom go away after a while? I have bouts of DP at home, but for the most part I feel normal if I'm in a darker room, but once I go out, I can't handle the DP. I'd say I'm on the road to recovery because I used to have really bad DP at home, but now it's not as bad. The light sensitivity is the one thing that really bothers me.
I also have really bad DP at home and I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have this problem. It’s my worse symptom because it makes me feel like I am in a dream. The light at stores is so intense that it triggers attacks. I HATE IT. I’m actually sensitive to ALL lights. Even the yellow dim lights at home. And I can’t even go outside at night because the street lights also trigger it. It’s PURE hell!!!! I think I have asked this question before and no one has answered. What scares me is that when I had Dp/dr as a teen (16 years ago)this same symtom was my biggest problem and it didn’t go away for years. I don’t want that to happen now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have this problem. It's my worse symptom because it makes me feel like I am in a dream. The light at stores is so intense that it triggers attacks. I HATE IT. I'm actually sensitive to ALL lights. Even the yellow dim lights at home. And I can't even go outside at night because the street lights also trigger it. It's PURE hell!!!! I think I have asked this question before and no one has answered. What scares me is that when I had Dp/dr as a teen (16 years ago)this same symtom was my biggest problem and it didn't go away for years. I don't want that to happen now.
Yes yes yes! It makes me feel like a dream always! I worked in a hospital and couldn't safely work with patients because it was so severe! I don't want to be house bound, but I can't even have my blinds open without putting on sunglasses to help with the light coming in the house. How have you managed with that symptom? For some reason it makes me feel even more out of body too. I went to a thing for my dad's work the other night and the lights were like supermarket lights and I would look at my arm and feel like I was behind my body. It scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes yes yes! It makes me feel like a dream always! I worked in a hospital and couldn't safely work with patients because it was so severe! I don't want to be house bound, but I can't even have my blinds open without putting on sunglasses to help with the light coming in the house. How have you managed with that symptom? For some reason it makes me feel even more out of body too. I went to a thing for my dad's work the other night and the lights were like supermarket lights and I would look at my arm and feel like I was behind my body. It scared the crap out of me.
Exactly what happens to me. Makes me feel like I am outside my body watching myself from the back. It's so disturbing and if I don't calm down then an attack comes and I'm back to square one with Dp/dr. And it's everywhere! Stores, doctor office, my kids school, home... everywhere. At home I close my shades but at night when the lights are on I try hard everyday not to freak out. This has been my battle every single day 24/7 for 7 months. The only thing that has helped a little with that is Xanax. I now take it 3 times a day and I notice that when I take it and go to a store I don't freak out. Like Xanax gives me that fuck it attitude.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what happens to me. Makes me feel like I am outside my body watching myself from the back. It's so disturbing and if I don't calm down then an attack comes and I'm back to square one with Dp/dr. And it's everywhere! Stores, doctor office, my kids school, home... everywhere. At home I close my shades but at night when the lights are on I try hard everyday not to freak out. This has been my battle every single day 24/7 for 7 months. The only thing that has helped a little with that is Xanax. I now take it 3 times a day and I notice that when I take it and go to a store I don't freak out. Like Xanax gives me that fuck it attitude.
Yes, Going outside, doing anything is awful. I feel like I'm not even there. It's debilitating. Klonopin seems to help me a little as well, which is a benzodiazepine just like xanax. I try not to take it often though and my doctor tells me not to take it more than twice a day because I'm young and she doesn't want me to get addicted to it. Funny how these meds can cause apathy. I've been in this hell for 6 months and the vision changes were some of my first symptoms. I just want it to go away so I can get on with my life. ???? Like I know people say to ignore it, but it's one of those symptoms that are really hard to ignore. Have you ever completely recovered? I know you said you had it before. Did it completely go away or did it still linger even the years you were recovered?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm recovered from DP/DR although I still have light sensitivity it's just part of me now. You'll get used to it if it doesn't go away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You don't feel out of body or anything with the light sensitivity?
Well my light sensitivity is only with artificial lighting so when I'm in houses with lights on, I do feel quite weird but I don't turn the lights off because if you don't push through it your mind won't learn to tolerate it. After a while I'm not as anxious about it and it still looks weird. I count myself as recovered because I only feel this DR feeling when in artificial lighting. Like for example, right now I am in college and natural lighting is coming through the windows and I feel completely fine whereas if I was at home in my room the light would make me feel odd. Just push through it, it'll get easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts