Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Just wanted to ask, if anyone else has/had suicidal thoughts/idealization after drinking Alcohol?
Last time I drank a shot and a glass of wine and had terrible suicidal thoughts - NEVER HAD THEM! But I wasn't sure if it really was bc of the alcohol... I ended uping my dose of lexapro from 10 to 20mg which helped Last night I drank a bit more... a few shots, whiskey...and was really drunk...now I'm so scared that these thoughts will come back and be even stronger and longer lasting... I wanted to ask if sb else has experienced this? What could help? And how long did it last usually? Thank you

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I don't think any of the above advice is specific to Lexapro (escitalopram), which is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

Lexapro is a drug in a class of more than a half dozen similar acting SSRIs such as Paxil, Prozac,Zoloft, luvoz, etc. The drugs

are very similar in molecular makeup.

They are prescribed in a similar fashion for anxiety and depression.

I feel safe in saying all SSRIs have a warning that suicidal ideation may be a side effect. The worst time to begin an

SSRI is when you are significantly depressed (IMHO), because an SSRI tends to make most people feel worse

for the first week or two of therapy. So, if you are on the edge when you begin the SSRI, it may push you over.

I drank moderately with Lexapro, and never noticed any significant interaction or effect on my symptoms or behavior.

It might be wise to abstain from alcohol for the period of adjustment to the SSRI, and then use moderation from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.