Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know what that book is called but I’m guessing is the book of diagnosis that phychiatrist have. Anyways, on last years book depersonalization/derealization was under anxiety! It was consider a symptoms of anxiety period. On this years book Depersonalization/derealization is it’s own Disorder. Which sucks ass. I feel better just thinking this hell is still just anxiety or whatever. My new psychiatrist told me not to pay attention to this years book. That this still is anxiety. He showed me both books. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't believe it's anxiety. I believe anxiety and panic attacks can trigger episodes, whether chronic or intermittent, but I don't believe anxiety keeps it around. That's just my two cents.

I take anti-anxiety meds and I still have it. I'm so anxiety-free that I don't care about anything at all. I just sit and stare most of the time or rock back and forth in my chair.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe it's anxiety. I believe anxiety and panic attacks can trigger episodes, whether chronic or intermittent, but I don't believe anxiety keeps it around. That's just my two cents.

I take anti-anxiety meds and I still have it. I'm so anxiety-free that I don't care about anything at all. I just sit and stare most of the time or rock back and forth in my chair.
Did yours come after a panic attack? I'm still trying to figure out how and why I got stuck with this crap.

·
Administrator
941 Posts
I don't know what that book is called but I'm guessing is the book of diagnosis that phychiatrist have. Anyways, on last years book depersonalization/derealization was under anxiety! It was consider a symptoms of anxiety period. On this years book Depersonalization/derealization is it's own Disorder. Which sucks ass. I feel better just thinking this hell is still just anxiety or whatever. My new psychiatrist told me not to pay attention to this years book. That this still is anxiety. He showed me both books. What do you guys think?
There will always be debate about this - what it is, what causes it and how it should be classified - but I know there have been people who have campaigned for years to have it recognized as a disorder in its own right, so it's interesting to read a sufferer say they would rather it was just regarded as a symptom of anxiety. It goes to show that while one classification might appease one group of people it can upset another. Perhaps it's all academic at the end of the day. It's not something I worry about personally, but greater awareness of how much it affects people is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Diagnostics and Statistics Manual Version 5. (DSM5). The temporal lobe of the brain processes sensual inputs. (Vision, hearing, touch, taste). It interprets those inputs and accesses memory to assign the appropriate emotional context to a situation.

The temporal lobe is said to be "exquisitely prone to insult". I insulted my temporal lobe with cannabis. I was rewarded with a sequence of temporal lobe seizures. My vision, hearing, touch and taste were all distorted. I lost my emotions. My

perception of self and environment were fundamentally altered. My EEGs are abnormal, showing significant pathology in the temporal lobe of my brain. My DP/DR and anxiety are the result of damage to my temporal lobe as evidenced by EEG.

Your mileage may vary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts