Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was refered to the Depersonalistion Research Unit (DPRU) at the Institute of Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital in London. I was diagnosed with DPD and started on Lamotragine, to be used in conjunction with the Clomipramine, that I was already taking. Within 3 months my DP had cleared by the time I hit the target dose of 250 mg. It did not go instantly, it was a gradual process over the 3 months. The DPRU have found in trials that this drug treatment ( Lamotragine in combo with an SSRI ) is successful in 40% of cases. That is huge amount of people, so if you're out there and suffering, find out about this drug, the link is on the homepage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was refered to the Depersonalistion Research Unit (DPRU) at the Institute of Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital in London. I was diagnosed with DPD and started on Lamotragine, to be used in conjunction with the Clomipramine, that I was already taking. Within 3 months my DP had cleared by the time I hit the target dose of 250 mg. It did not go instantly, it was a gradual process over the 3 months. The DPRU have found in trials that this drug treatment ( Lamotragine in combo with an SSRI ) is successful in 40% of cases. That is huge amount of people, so if you're out there and suffering, find out about this drug, the link is on the homepage.

·
Registered
413 Posts
wow!

i was taking clomipramine but found the side effects too much...

i wish i could just take them and see how it goes but i am so scared of medication...

i think i will take it again if all else fails...

so glad those meds have worked for you!

yayness for you! :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
wow!

i was taking clomipramine but found the side effects too much...

i wish i could just take them and see how it goes but i am so scared of medication...

i think i will take it again if all else fails...

so glad those meds have worked for you!

yayness for you! :)

G

·
Hi,

What was your story? Did you had it for a long time? Severe DR or non? Did you try other things? Do you have side effects? Do you take benzos?

Excuse I need to know :)

Cyn xxx :p

G

·
Hi,

What was your story? Did you had it for a long time? Severe DR or non? Did you try other things? Do you have side effects? Do you take benzos?

Excuse I need to know :)

Cyn xxx :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Cynthia,

I do experience some side effects from Clomipramine, but they are minor in comparison to having DP. I get constipated ! sleep about 10 hrs a night. I don't get any side effects from Lamotragine, it's a relatively new 'clean' drug. I take lorazepam when I need it which is usually when I have a nightmare.

In 2000 I had a head injury, falling of a horse with no hat on. After that I quickly spiralled into severe anxiety and depression with DP. I went through various drug regimes ( dotheipin, seroxat, olanzapine, thioradizine, valium, manerex ) none of which made any difference to my DP. About a year later, I found out about the Maudsley trialing lamotragine for DP, so I went down to see them and started on it in conjunction with Clomipramine. In 3 months my DP had dissapeared completely, it was amazing to be free from it, to feel real and normal and in touch with the world and people again.

Take care

Indigo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Cynthia,

I do experience some side effects from Clomipramine, but they are minor in comparison to having DP. I get constipated ! sleep about 10 hrs a night. I don't get any side effects from Lamotragine, it's a relatively new 'clean' drug. I take lorazepam when I need it which is usually when I have a nightmare.

In 2000 I had a head injury, falling of a horse with no hat on. After that I quickly spiralled into severe anxiety and depression with DP. I went through various drug regimes ( dotheipin, seroxat, olanzapine, thioradizine, valium, manerex ) none of which made any difference to my DP. About a year later, I found out about the Maudsley trialing lamotragine for DP, so I went down to see them and started on it in conjunction with Clomipramine. In 3 months my DP had dissapeared completely, it was amazing to be free from it, to feel real and normal and in touch with the world and people again.

Take care

Indigo

·
Registered
86 Posts
indigo,

I hope I can take these meds soon... I did a little research on them, and it could work. My gp has to approve first though. Thanks for the idea!

-Grant

·
Registered
86 Posts
indigo,

I hope I can take these meds soon... I did a little research on them, and it could work. My gp has to approve first though. Thanks for the idea!

-Grant

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am going to give them a ring and see what they have to say about taking part in research. I have often read that taking part in research does not nesesarily benefit the individual.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am going to give them a ring and see what they have to say about taking part in research. I have often read that taking part in research does not nesesarily benefit the individual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's important to realize that its the interaction of the two drugs that treats the DP.

The Maudsley has used lamotragine in combination with an SSRI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's important to realize that its the interaction of the two drugs that treats the DP.

The Maudsley has used lamotragine in combination with an SSRI.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Indigo,

Out of interest, how much hassle did you get being referred to the dp unit at the maudsley? I've been trying to get referred there for ages but it's not easy because of peny pinching bureaucrats in my health authority (south downs) want me checked out more locally first before they consider funding an out of area referral. It's ridiculous....it's a frickin' research unit it needs people to RESEARCH!!! And I'm 50 miles down the bloody road!

cheers,

Gav

·
Registered
91 Posts
Indigo,

Out of interest, how much hassle did you get being referred to the dp unit at the maudsley? I've been trying to get referred there for ages but it's not easy because of peny pinching bureaucrats in my health authority (south downs) want me checked out more locally first before they consider funding an out of area referral. It's ridiculous....it's a frickin' research unit it needs people to RESEARCH!!! And I'm 50 miles down the bloody road!

cheers,

Gav

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Gavin,

I am pretty sure that I was referred by my psychiatrist, although I do remember that it took a while befor I got an apt.

I don't think there is much piont being seen by someone else more local than you as most Drs are ill informed about DP/DR.

I don't think it 'costs' anything for your health authority as its a research unit and I don't think there are any finances involved. Its in their interest that they see you as they are doing research !

Is it your GP thats referring you or are you under a Psychiatrist ?

I think you can actually refer yourself if you get no where with your Drs. Certainly you can phone the unit and ask for their advice as to what to do. It is a bit difficult to get someone on the phone, keep trying but when they do answer they are very helpful. also you could try writing or e-mailing.

When you do get an apt. you will be seen by Dr Sierra-Siegert who gave me a two hour assesment. Lamotragine is not yet licenced to treat DP but is for epilepsy, but they are happy to give it to you if your Consultant won't. My Consultant was happy tp prescribe it to me under their advice and so was my GP. I went back to the DPRU for a second follow up and they were so reassuring. Now if I have a query about meds my Dr writes to them for advice and doesnt make decisions on his own.

I am sorry you are having difficulty, I hope some of this will help you. Keep being pro active and remember you are entitled to a second opinion.

Please contact me if you need to, I would like to know how you get on.
The DPRU website has been upgraded recently, just incase you haven't looked of late.

Take care

Indigo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Gavin,

I am pretty sure that I was referred by my psychiatrist, although I do remember that it took a while befor I got an apt.

I don't think there is much piont being seen by someone else more local than you as most Drs are ill informed about DP/DR.

I don't think it 'costs' anything for your health authority as its a research unit and I don't think there are any finances involved. Its in their interest that they see you as they are doing research !

Is it your GP thats referring you or are you under a Psychiatrist ?

I think you can actually refer yourself if you get no where with your Drs. Certainly you can phone the unit and ask for their advice as to what to do. It is a bit difficult to get someone on the phone, keep trying but when they do answer they are very helpful. also you could try writing or e-mailing.

When you do get an apt. you will be seen by Dr Sierra-Siegert who gave me a two hour assesment. Lamotragine is not yet licenced to treat DP but is for epilepsy, but they are happy to give it to you if your Consultant won't. My Consultant was happy tp prescribe it to me under their advice and so was my GP. I went back to the DPRU for a second follow up and they were so reassuring. Now if I have a query about meds my Dr writes to them for advice and doesnt make decisions on his own.

I am sorry you are having difficulty, I hope some of this will help you. Keep being pro active and remember you are entitled to a second opinion.

Please contact me if you need to, I would like to know how you get on.
The DPRU website has been upgraded recently, just incase you haven't looked of late.

Take care

Indigo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Indigo, yes, that certainly has been of help thankyou very much.

Well, first of all my GP made a referral back in August of last year but the southdowns health trust comittee that deals with the budget turned it down and said the referral needed to come from a psychiatrist, so my GP referred me to a psychiatrist at the local hospital. This psychiatrist agreed it was a good idea to refer me, but again weeks later it was turned down on the basis that there might be somewhere more local to treat me (even though I keep saying all along i'm not going there to be treated, I'm going there to be of help!) and so i was referred to a local psychotherapist. This guy basically told me straight away that he was no expert in DP and that he'd make sure he wrote back to the psychiatrist at the hospital and say that although he'd like to put me on his waiting list I should also be referred to the DP unit as well. He has written that letter now in the last couple of weeks, so we shall soon see if anything comes of it. When I saw him last wednesday he told me that he'd mention to the top dog of the psychiatry dept at the hospital that funding should not be an issue as it was a research unit. So what you say yourself is spot on.

Well, fingers crossed. To be honest my intention was only to go there to be of help. I'm pretty sure I've got primary DP, but as people's stories on this site show, that is pretty uncommon so I'd make a good guinea pig! But with success stories like yours I'm all the more determined to get up there. The only problem is, I'm planning to be moving out of the country for some time in the new year, so unless things get moving real fast it'll all be too late anyway. But I'll keep fighting nonetheless.

Thanks a lot mate, I will definitely let you know how I get on.

cheers,
Gav

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Indigo, yes, that certainly has been of help thankyou very much.

Well, first of all my GP made a referral back in August of last year but the southdowns health trust comittee that deals with the budget turned it down and said the referral needed to come from a psychiatrist, so my GP referred me to a psychiatrist at the local hospital. This psychiatrist agreed it was a good idea to refer me, but again weeks later it was turned down on the basis that there might be somewhere more local to treat me (even though I keep saying all along i'm not going there to be treated, I'm going there to be of help!) and so i was referred to a local psychotherapist. This guy basically told me straight away that he was no expert in DP and that he'd make sure he wrote back to the psychiatrist at the hospital and say that although he'd like to put me on his waiting list I should also be referred to the DP unit as well. He has written that letter now in the last couple of weeks, so we shall soon see if anything comes of it. When I saw him last wednesday he told me that he'd mention to the top dog of the psychiatry dept at the hospital that funding should not be an issue as it was a research unit. So what you say yourself is spot on.

Well, fingers crossed. To be honest my intention was only to go there to be of help. I'm pretty sure I've got primary DP, but as people's stories on this site show, that is pretty uncommon so I'd make a good guinea pig! But with success stories like yours I'm all the more determined to get up there. The only problem is, I'm planning to be moving out of the country for some time in the new year, so unless things get moving real fast it'll all be too late anyway. But I'll keep fighting nonetheless.

Thanks a lot mate, I will definitely let you know how I get on.

cheers,
Gav

1 - 20 of 43 Posts