Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you can honestly say that you would rather be kept in a coma-like state until a treatment for depersonalization and derealization is found? Or would you rather wait it out and see what happens with both your symptoms and treatment options? Why do I ask? Just wondering how severe you guys rate your symptoms.

· Registered
191 Posts
Hi,
I consider my symptoms more than just a little disruptive to my life---I have reprieves lasting minutes not hours or days. So it has insinuated itself into my life and my being--like a F*kin disease. I despsise this!!!

Regarding being like frozen or asleep until someone finds a "cure"---I dunno if I can say I would want that. Even thogh taking meds is a mild form of just that--at least for me.

I feel like my meds-some of them anyway-are a chemical version of sledgehammers, wrapped in layers of cotton. They dope my head to make it go slower so as to not go into continuous mania and horror anxiety. So they make it possible for me to "survive". And sleep too.

I am with you on wanting to be totally over it, no doubt. But I guess I will keep trying, moving, learning, talking, reading, pushing, praying, and breathing, staying concious and hope I will come out the other side. Wishing you the best,
----Jake

· Registered
636 Posts
[quote name="jake"] I am with you on wanting to be totally over it, no doubt. But I guess I will keep trying, moving, learning, talking, reading, pushing, praying, and breathing, staying concious and hope I will come out the other side. Wishing you the best,
----Jake[/quote/]

Perfectly put and I agree 100 percent. :)

· Registered
413 Posts
In the early days,I definitely would have wanted to be knocked out it was that horrible in its persistancy and intensity.but I feel now that I would prefer to work thru my problems rather than be passive.Been knocked out seems to be a way of passing responsibility away from yourself.Good question thou.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
At times, sure, I would have done everything to go into a coma to avoid the horror's of DR/DP. But where does it end? We when you break a finger nail ? When you've got a hard day at work ahead of you?

The success to beating DR/DP is not to lie down and wait for a miracle, because the nature of the beast dictates a deliberate and conscious battle.

Besides, what a waste of life.

· Registered
105 Posts
sleep is what i look forward to, as i feel the 'fragmentation' and confusion are the hardest part for me, and of course the thoughts that your life beliefs/outlook/ identity have been all lies. The forgetfulness, and feelings of disintegrating away are also too much to bear, and it just seems to be getting worse, much to the point where (sorry for saying this) , that knowing there is a 'way out ' (dont think i have to spell it out) is a comfort to me

· Registered
723 Posts
i don't have much dp and my dr is relatively mild but i used to have severe dr, and i would never have wanted to wait it out in a coma. i look back on that time of my life as being very full and wonderful despite my dr. i took a semester off of college and moved to seattle with a good friend and just made the most of my life. it was great!

G

·
Hola,
Maybe I'm wrong, but seems to me that with or without drugs, we dont have too much choice in the matter. DP IS what it IS.
Cheers!

Tony

· Registered
2,383 Posts
university girl said:
How many of you can honestly say that you would rather be kept in a coma-like state until a treatment for depersonalization and derealization is found? Or would you rather wait it out and see what happens with both your symptoms and treatment options? Why do I ask? Just wondering how severe you guys rate your symptoms.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, what a question.

I can say when I've been at my worst the only way out was death. I'm sorry to say I have frequently over the years contemplated taking my own life, though I've never attempted it. I still have considered it an option when I'm elderly ... quality of life at that point is a terror I don't like to consider these days.

The thought of being in a coma, w/DP, is to me the horror of being stuck alive in a coffin (with DP of course), or having a stroke (w/DP for added horror) wherein I can't move or speak though I am conscious.

That choice sounds like the ultimate DP horror to me.

Then, most important. I have never thrown in the towel. And I'm glad I haven't, so far. I have gotten better over the years, and in many ways, yes, I love my life. I wouldn't change it -- well, save the DP/DR which I see as a symptom. I'm still ME. I realize some here don't feel that way, but I'm still Dreamer, even though I'm DP/DR.

I don't think it's a matter of my being stronger than this, or anyone. It's a day to day choice.

Also, this is scary, but I also have depressive episodes where there seem to be NO choices. I become suicidal in a way that is clearly medical. I had such an episode about a month ago (that time of month!). I could see NOTHING positive in my life. NOTHING. I felt I had given up. When this passed (and I have to have people in my life remind me how this goes in cycles) I couldn't understand for the life of me why I was thinking that way..

The question is quality of life. There have been times, long stretches of time where I truly had no quality of life. I was very close to checking out.

I'm glad I didn't.

I want THIS life. THIS LIFE is the one I want. I want the people I've known, know, knew. The good, the bad, and the ugly of it all. I just don't want to be ill. Such is the nature of the beast.

D

· Registered
223 Posts
I still have considered it an option when I'm elderly ... quality of life at that point is a terror I don't like to consider these days.

That's the way I think too. But I don't have very much quality of life right now and I'm still here...to the initial question, I think I'd choose to be put on hold until I'm cured. And it wouldn't be a waste of life, because what I have simply isn't life (imagine violins and a sad panda on the background).If I were to live 50 years like this and looked back to my time on this planet I know I'd then think what a waste, even if I'd won a Nobel, a Pulizer and a Golden Raspberry. But this is just me of course! If one isn't this pessimistic and unrealistic then one surely has better chance of recovery and a long, happy life. I'll just have mine in the Woody Allen style, short and miserable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.