Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Janine, whats your view on the "pseudo-psychiatry"

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  delicateshadow 
now, I could speak of the recent research on neuroscience and psychotherapy, about the early formation of the brain chemistry, and the function of serontin and how it is formed through the attachment and bond with the mother.....

about emotional regulation, and how, if there is not sufficient containment in infancy of unbearable emotions (eg aloneness, anger) then emotional regulation becomes a problem all the life and results in e.g what are seem by some as 'Borderline' traits.

Lack of serotonin = depression. I have a lack of serotonin in my brain because it wasn't sufficiently nurtured when I was a young baby. I take antidepressants now (since November). It helps rebalance the chemicals in my brain (I take Efexor, so its also the noraphenamine---would need to check a book to say about that :lol: )
so that I am also more able to contain anxiety for example---and, living in London, following recent events, I am almost certain that I would be a quivering wreck were it not for my meds...

BUT, saying all this, MY THERAPY IS ESSENTIAL.
I need the mirroring of my emotions, to be responded to and empathised with and have containment of my most difficult feelings--all of which I missed out on when I was a baby and child.

Perhaps meds are the scaffolding that help keep the building upright whilst the renovation work carries on inside with therapy and personal reflection???

btw, for some time I would never TOUCH meds, but I was taking Valerian and things were just getting a thousand times worse and I felt I was collapsing into smithereens, so, a trip to my GP it was......

Katie

Can I ask you a question? I find it very hard to believe that you recall what occurred when you were in an incubator. Such an early memory is basically unheard of -- in fact there's a term for the phenomenon of most people not recalling anything before age 3 or so, "infantile amnesia."

Here's the question: How did you come to remember what happened to you that early?

Not everyone agrees with this view I know, and I am very sensitive about this, so, if you want to question it or invalidate me, please please do so elsewhere. :( :!: :oops: I have recent painful experience on another site and I am very cautious and self protective now. I was hoping for validation here, anyway.....

If you like, it can be seen as any other dissociated traumatic memory that unfreezes through therapy and comes into awareness.

The rest of the traumas in my life that followed all built on that first one.

Its a feeling-memory.....deeply felt in the fibres of my being.

K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.