Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On top of everything else I'm already taking, I've now been told to take quetiapine.

I went to the psychiatrist today. I couldn't get my words out properly, was tired of explaining the same thing again. All I wanted was to be explained to what was happening, and I came out twice as scared and confused as when I came in.

It didn't feel like he understood what I was saying. He kept saying the word psychosis. Then he said I didn't have it. Basically long story short, I thought there may be some explanation to the fact that I kept seeing the same 'coincidental' things constantly (yes I know about frequency illusion). But now I just think I've lost it.

This all just brought up questions of how we aren't truly in control of our brains, how our personalities are all just controlled by a series of chemicals. How do normal people just accept this? What am I missing? I really don't want to take this drug, because it will change things about me without it being me changing it.

I hope this made sense.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really dislike doctors who disregard someone with sheer stupidity and ignorance. They don't know what is going so they decide to either prescribe something completely unrelated or they throw labels at you, hoping you dont know what it means and then use it as an excuse to give you meds you dont need in the first place.

DP is nothing like psychosis. Most of the time DP is a symptom.

Psychosis involves hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, physical immobility and speech problems.

NOw both psyxhosis and DP share some charactersitics. But so does cheesecake and butter -- they both have milk in them.

Goofy analogy but the point is, many diseases, disroders, conditions share sometimes one or two charactersitics.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Don't worry. If you've been prescribed an anti psychotic it doesn't mean it's for psychosis. Some of those medications also deal with high levels of anxiety and depression, although I don't know if it's the most successful treatment for DP...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts