Depersonalization Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just noticed this

pretty much most if not all members here seem to be racially caucasian people it seems to me

mostly european . I am kurdish (from turkey) . I am not european but we are also caucasians in a wider sense

I dont see any black , east asian or whatever person with dp . wtf is going on

this might be a weird question but it just caught my attention

are we more vulnerable for this shit than other races or what

I actually have one possible explanation which I might share later

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might be how mental illness is affected by social support? I know here in scandinavia, the culture is sort of cold. Like no one talks on the bus and strangers arent supposed to interact. You get very easily isolated and families are small so the family support can be scarce. It all spells vulnerability to mental illness

I think its like that in most caucassian communities, so it makes sense?

·
Registered
125 Posts
How would you know what everyone on this site is? I’m black, from the islands and I’ve talked to a couple of black peoples with the same thing we’re experiencing.. I can say mental illnesses are not talked about within black households. A lot of parents believe anything wrong is the devils doing, so a lot of people just keep their issues to themselves.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It might be how mental illness is affected by social support? I know here in scandinavia, the culture is sort of cold. Like no one talks on the bus and strangers arent supposed to interact. You get very easily isolated and families are small so the family support can be scarce. It all spells vulnerability to mental illness

I think its like that in most caucassian communities, so it makes sense?
Europeans, including Scandinavians, are predominantly of Caucasian race. Another term for Caucasian is Europid.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would you know what everyone on this site is? I'm black, from the islands and I've talked to a couple of black peoples with the same thing we're experiencing.. I can say mental illnesses are not talked about within black households. A lot of parents believe anything wrong is the devils doing, so a lot of people just keep their issues to themselves.
I cant know lol

but I noticed that many members are caucasian especially european ( I am the only west asian caucasian on the site that I know) . it somehow suddenly popped in my head

·
Registered
445 Posts
This has occured to me before in the past but then i thought well most profiles are pretty ambiguous and people tend not to mention race.

But it might well be the case that caucasians are more sensitive to DPDR, from my time as a health professional i know there are racial differences in illness prevalence. For example higher schizophrenia in black populations

·
Registered
733 Posts
There has publications that worked with the theory that depersonalisation was related to cultures with high levels of individualism -like western cultures. That theory didn't stand when they looked at Pakistan. Depersonalisation is a disorder related to the cognitive regulation of emotions done by the brain -particularly the prefrontal cortex . It is found to be overactive and suppressive of all emotions. You can find disorders where the problem is under regulated emotions like PTSD where people will be on alert, hyperaroused, angry, irritable

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it's an overstatement. I have read an academic research partly linking high individualistic cultures to it. Makes sense, but that's one possible contribution/triggering of DPDR and not much more IMO. I'm not Caucasian although some might put me in that category, yet I inherited this from my mom whom I've lived my life seeing different forms of anxiety manifested in her including episodes of DP.

In any way, you cannot possibly tell if the person is Caucasian or not on here unless they indicate it themselves & access to such websites is limited to English-speaking people.

·
Registered
382 Posts
you know how black people r mostly athletic.. not to be racist but its kinda true.. back in the day breeding slaves and they got better athletic genes, its just facts but i think us white people, you know sitting on our asses back in the day, breeding with each other, i think its kinda in the white person gene to have mental problems.. if you look at school shootings, all white people with mental illnesses, you never really see a mentally ill black person unless its like a crack head or something, but most often you do see mentally ill white people and it can just be genetics, something in the white breed i think has mental problems, i think its from way back in the day

·
Registered
102 Posts
you know how black people r mostly athletic.. not to be racist but its kinda true.. back in the day breeding slaves and they got better athletic genes, its just facts but i think us white people, you know sitting on our asses back in the day, breeding with each other
Based on your theory, Black people would be the ones who are more likely to suffer from it then. The mental torture they went through "back in the day" will forever be indescribable and that has got to have done something to their mental health generation after the other. So if anything they would be affected the most. Also Black people are prone to high blood pressure and heart disease. Healthy body =/= strong-looking physique.

Keep in mind it's a cultural thing within many communities not to speak about your mental health especially if you're already busy trying to put food on the table.

Race has nothing to with it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Watch this short documentary and tell me there is a lack of mental illness amongst African Americans. Liberia is a nation on the coast of West Africa which was founded by freed slaves from America. The returned to Africa and established their own nation.

They set up plantations, just like they had worked on in the US. They enslaved the local population to do the work they once did. Everything was hunky dorey, until it fell apart into internecine fighting with warlords with fierce names such as General Rambo, Butt Naked, Mosquito, etc.

When I hear arguments about reparations to US blacks because they are descended from slavery, I wonder if a one way ticket to Liberia wouldn't be more appropriate? Guess I;m just a racist at heart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.