Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling like nobody else's life is real, like your life is a fix, like nobody else exists, like your life is a VR game?

Even though other people go about daily life since I had my breakdown it seems like there life isn't real

Anybody else had this? It's not real just a feeling and makes me feel low I get it from time to time

·
Registered
90 Posts
I experienced this (solipsism) in DR. It's very lonely, but a deadly boring and unimaginative outlook! (Everything there is to say about the philosophy of solipsism could fit inside the margin of a one page book, with plenty of room to spare.)

In DP, I once wondered the opposite: whether everyone else was real and it was only I who no longer existed.

Feeling like nobody else's life is real, like your life is a fix, like nobody else exists, like your life is a VR game?

Even though other people go about daily life since I had my breakdown it seems like there life isn't real

Anybody else had this? It's not real just a feeling and makes me feel low I get it from time to time

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I experienced this (solipsism) in DR. It's very lonely, but a deadly boring and unimaginative outlook! (Everything there is to say about the philosophy of solipsism could fit inside the margin of a one page book, with plenty of room to spare.)

In DP, I once wondered the opposite: whether everyone else was real and it was only I who no longer existed.
Yes it's horrible outlook. Do a lot of people suffer it with DP?

Sometimes I suffer it when my anxiety appears low but have a lot on my mind.

How did you get over it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
People with DP (especially the introverts and the philosophically-minded) are very susceptible to existential anxieties like that.

You don't have to do anything to get over it. Your faith in the reality of other people will reassert itself.

DP/DR strips things of meaning and gives your mind a lot of freedom to interpret familiar things in a new way. The anxiety that is usually present with DP/DR (or obsessive thinking) conjures up your worst fears and projects them automatically. The experience is overwhelming because it seems real: you're not holding these ideas at the comfortable distance of your intellect like an academic philosopher.

The doubt that leads to these kinds of thoughts invalidates itself by presupposing certainties (as Wittgenstein observed)! They lose all their power when you're busy living.

Yes it's horrible outlook. Do a lot of people suffer it with DP?

Sometimes I suffer it when my anxiety appears low but have a lot on my mind.

How did you get over it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've felt a sense of unreality like for a few days but I've just moved house

But past week or two I've just experienced solipsism for first time. Before this I also had a feeling where I became obessed with what I would do next or what my mind would think and also my life being a fix or fate ect.

The DP was so bad when I first moved house 5 weeks ago I was unable to go to a concert.

But at the moment I feel a lot of this solipsism like nobody else exists or nobody else is living a life

It's a horrible feeling but all goes back to feeling detcached. Watching the news sometimes helps bring some realism back. I mean
It wouldn't make much sense for a big world to be all solipsism it's a bit of a shallow thought.

But I guess big life events like moving home can trigger this? I already have bad ocd and anxiety and sometimes panic attacks..

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've felt a sense of unreality like for a few days but I've just moved house

But past week or two I've just experienced solipsism for first time. Before this I also had a feeling where I became obessed with what I would do next or what my mind would think and also my life being a fix or fate ect.

The DP was so bad when I first moved house 5 weeks ago I was unable to go to a concert.

But at the moment I feel a lot of this solipsism like nobody else exists or nobody else is living a life

It's a horrible feeling but all goes back to feeling detcached. Watching the news sometimes helps bring some realism back. I mean
It wouldn't make much sense for a big world to be all solipsism it's a bit of a shallow thought.

But I guess big life events like moving home can trigger this? I already have bad ocd and anxiety and sometimes panic attacks..
Within a couple of weeks, you'll have moved on from solipsism and be obsessed with something else (hopefully nothing).

I watched the news a lot during dp/dr to bring the realism back and it helped (despite the negativity and depressing stories).

Big life events are definitely triggers if you're susceptible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's a pretty classical DP/DR symptom, actually.. it's your mind way to keep bothering you with this kind of shit, making you feel is "different" but it's Always the same thing

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's a pretty classical DP/DR symptom, actually.. it's your mind way to keep bothering you with this kind of shit, making you feel is "different" but it's Always the same thing
Is it normal with DP to question meaning of life like why am I here why is everybody else aswell as feeling nobody else is real?

What's the best way to challenge these thoughts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also anybody feel life is strange or emotionally numb or like life is a cartoon or tapped in life?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it normal with DP to question meaning of life like why am I here why is everybody else aswell as feeling nobody else is real?

What's the best way to challenge these thoughts?
It's normal and those feelings totally pass. Even if you tried to hold onto them you wouldn't be able to!

I have written in many posts on this subject since I faced many of the same questions in DP/DR. (Read the threads without trigger warnings. ;-) )

One way to challenge them is to realize that in many cases you're probably asking nonsensical or confused questions. ("Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.")

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anybody give me any tips?

The solipsism went away for a bit but it's come back past while sometimes it's at the back of my mind nobody being real. It feels real to
Me that nobody else exists just me and they are here because I am how can I improve this symptom?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It really sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through this. When I was feeling that nobody else was real, I remember telling myself "this is depersonalization. this is mental illness. this feeling will pass" because these symptoms have went away before, you have felt like others are real before, and odds are you will again. It's really scary in the moment and it can feel so isolating, maybe you could try grounding techniques. List the names of the people important to you, describe them, things like that can help. Also focusing on sensations around you can help, such as thinking "i can feel grass underneath my hand, it's green and it is moving with the wind" really simple things can help get you out of your head. If this doesn't work right away don't worry, remind yourself this is temporary, and that no matter how much your brain tries to tell you that the world isn't real, it is mental illness.

I have felt all of these things before too, so have a lot of people on this forum. It is a common symptom of dissociation. I hope the advice gives you some reassurance at least, I know how scary and hopeless it can feel, but remind yourself the sensations are temporary, even if they last a little while. That's what gave me the most hope

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How long will it take to pass?

I've become obsessed with life, questioning existane and the thoughts that nobody is real and my life only exists in my mind will it get better rather than feeling this way all the time?

It went away and came back..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was told the Solipsism thing would vanish in weeks but I've had this months like when I look at the country side I believe it's like a movie and only appearing as I pass by. I read people say Solipsism is the worst thing to have with anxiety it's horrible but from what I have seen it's not as common as health anxieties.

It makes me feel disconnected to life and I fear never feeling emotion again?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts