Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im from Scandinavia and new to this forum. I think i suffer from DP. I feel disconnected from my own body and mind, like nothing is real. Its like im trapped inside my own head. I see that people describe it as you are outside your body, but i feel like im way to deep inside my body - is this also common? Its so scary because i feel like i have lost my self. im not me anymore. impossible to describre really.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I score at everything, except that i dont feel outside my body, i feel inside, deep in my mind. Anyone else? could it be depersonalization, even though i dont feel like im watching myself from the outside?
Hi! Yes! Still dp. I feel the way you do. I feel like I'm watching my life inside my eyes or head. That's a weird way to describe but that's how I feel. I've had the outer body dp so I think there's differing types.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I score at everything, except that i dont feel outside my body, i feel inside, deep in my mind. Anyone else? could it be depersonalization, even though i dont feel like im watching myself from the outside?
The whole essence of DP and DR is that very disturbing sense of detachment from your self and your surroundings....

There are a million other synptoms that we could go through but the main one is that dreamlike state we all talk about....

Seperated, detached, cut off, dreamy, spacey, lost, isolated, unrecognisable etc etc etc.....These are all words Ive heard people use over the years to describe Depersonalization and Derealization....

DP is more internal detachment (Like not recognising yourself in the mirror or having a sense of numbness inside, not having any internal feelings etc)

DR is more external...you feel like you dont recognise exterior things like people and places around you (The exterior world looks and feels strange even though you still know where you are and who you are with)

DP and DR usually go hand in hand....They are basically the same condition in slightly different forms...

The following link might help to explain a bit better...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

Also its important to remember that we are all individual and can experience DP/DR at different levels with various different symptoms...There is no one size shoe fits all as regards the millions of different symptoms we all experience as DP sufferers...

The most common thing we ALL experience is the detachment, anxiety, fear and panic....

I just want to also say to you that you are not stuck like this....DP is very treatable but it is a patient game of trial and error as to what works for each of us individually...

For now it is very important that you reduce all levels of stress in your life and take things very very easy...You also need to surround yourself with compassionate caring understanding people who recognise you are not feeling very well...

Finally I just want to say that whilst this condition is upsetting and disturbing and frightening you CANNOT and WILL NOT go insane as a result of DP....It is basically anxiety in its most extreme form...NOTHING MORE!!!!!

·
Banned
76 Posts
I don't know how bad you are feeling and the strength of your DP symptons are but I would try to keep to your normal life routine. An avoidance strategy is not very helpfull as DP is like weeds in the garden, once you start avoiding things it spreeds very quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thank you for your answers. Im pretty sure it is DP. But, does anybody else feel like your body and even your thoughts is someone elses? I feel like my body, speech, actions and even thoughts goes do everyday, while i am stuck somewhere detached from all this - like the real me, or the person i used to be is like dead or something. Impossible to describe. I dont know how i will ever find my way back into this body. I dont know where "i" am. soo hard to explain

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, thank you for your answers. Im pretty sure it is DP. But, does anybody else feel like your body and even your thoughts is someone elses? I feel like my body, speech, actions and even thoughts goes do everyday, while i am stuck somewhere detached from all this - like the real me, or the person i used to be is like dead or something. Impossible to describe. I dont know how i will ever find my way back into this body. I dont know where "i" am. soo hard to explain
That's 100% how I feel. And I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist to have depersonalization so im positive you're suffering from dp as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
"DP is more internal detachment (Like not recognising yourself in the mirror..."
Hi Eddy. This is not exactly my symptom(s), but mine are triggered when looking in the mirror at myself. I get this overwhelming feeling that I, all of a sudden, realize that I'm in this body. It's almost like I just woke up and realized it. It's getting worse and worse. I now have this happen sometimes when I'm not looking in the mirror. It's quite upsetting. I do feel like I'm going crazy. Is this DP? Or is it DR? Or both? Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi, im from Scandinavia and new to this forum. I think i suffer from DP. I feel disconnected from my own body and mind, like nothing is real. Its like im trapped inside my own head. I see that people describe it as you are outside your body, but i feel like im way to deep inside my body - is this also common? Its so scary because i feel like i have lost my self. im not me anymore. impossible to describre really.
What happened that you started to feel like that ?
Was it drug induced ,high stress ,or no real reason ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi, thank you for your answers. Im pretty sure it is DP. But, does anybody else feel like your body and even your thoughts is someone elses?
No, I don't have this aspect of DP/DR. My internal thinking is pretty intact. If I close my eyes and just think, I don't notice anything wrong whatsoever (other than hallucinations such as flashing lights and vivid images). It's when I look at my surroundings or try to process external, or new, information gathered from said surroundings that things go wrong. I feel disconnected from my surroundings but not myself: as long as I'm working with existing information in my head, I have no issues. Sometimes, I feel like my hands don't belong to me, but that's rare. I also don't feel like anything is actually unreal. At least I wouldn't describe this state as "feeling unreal." I'm here-sure, I feel incredibly fuzzy all the time-but I'm here, and this is reality.

My state is more like being tipsy permanently. If I look around, I see things, but some deeper connection is lacking; I don't "feel" my surroundings. I suppose what I have is purely DR and no DP. I've had this since 2005 or so. I'm quite convinced by now that there will be no cure for me.

Reactions: MusicaElectronica
1 - 13 of 13 Posts