Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Is this derealization?

776 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Phantasm 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to the site. After reading a lot of the posts I can't say that I've had the same depersonalization symptoms that most people have had but I do think I've been experiencing some derealization events over the last year or so. I was hoping someone could verify that for me! It usually occurs at work or in the car when I'm driving by myself and it only lasts a few seconds but it is scary at times. So basically, how I describe it is a feeling of knowing where I am but things just look different to me. Like everything is in the place it usually is but it's like a feeling of disorientation comes over me! I was told by a neuropsychologist that it sounds like derealization. I would love to hear others feelings on this or if anyone has experienced the same thing it would be a bit of a comfort for me.

#2 ·
Hi Jennynic80,

It does sound like you are experiencing moments of dr. Try not to worry. Think of it as an over-spill of adrenaline that might have been building up for a while. Of course, consult with your doctor to rule out any concerns, but maybe take it as a message from your body that you might be overdoing things and that you need to relax and look after yourself more :)

#3 ·
Thank you so much for replying. I have been suffering from anxiety, OCD (usually health related obsessions), and panic attacks for a fairly long time now. I'm also a bit of a hypochondriac as well. I have made it through tough times without medication but I think a bit of
Postpartum may have triggered my anxiety to be much worse recently. I have been obsessing about these strange DR feelings. I went to my doc about it and explained the "strange" feelings I've had and she feels my OCD has gotten the best of me. She prescribed Prozac. I've only been taking it for a week. It has helped a bit with the irrational thoughts but I can't seem to stop worrying about it. I am planning on seeing a psychiatrist to see where this is coming from.

#4 ·
There might be some issues you need to work through, but strange feelings can be quite normal in times of stress. Google symptoms of anxiety and they will all be there. And it sounds like you've had it for a while. It might be good just to have someone to talk to, like a therapist :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.