Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just found this site and have some questions. I know very little about depersonalization, but am wondering if it describes what has been happening to me.

It seems to happen at odd times and I cant predict its coming on, although it generally happens when I am in an up mood. I feel like I'm going crazy. I feel as though I am watching myself do things and am not part of the world around me. It feels like I am watching myself in a movie. Everything is different. Colors are different, smells are different, sounds are different. The difference is hard for me to describe. It is sometimes hard or impossible for me to talk. Its like I am frozen in another reality. Sometimes if people walk by me and are chatting, I cant understand what they are saying. It basically scares the crap out of me.

This phenomena has been occurring more and more lately. Its not all the time, but I am worried because it is happening more now. It can last for a minute several times in a day or for 15 to 30 minutes. It has been occuring several times a week lately. I am concerned that whatever it is will take me over.

Is this depersonalization?

I should also note that I have bipolar disorder, so I don't know if its part of that.

Any comments would be appreciated

allan34

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yea thats dp although i cant give you a diagnosis over the net, it does sound like it. Go to a doctor, dont deal with this on your on

· Registered
383 Posts
allen, that's how it started for me too, gradual, over several weeks. for me too it seemed to hit me mostly when i was in an up mood, with a drink in my hand. i became so obsessed with what's going on, is it gonna take over type questions, then the anxiety came, and i allowed it to take over completely. DP feeds on fear. don't let it do that to you, ignore it as much as you can. take a break from drinking/bad habbits if you have any, it helps a lot. -rula

· Registered
123 Posts
from what I've been told, a lot of people with Bipolar disorder get DP/DR. It's very common in other disorders, but not common as it's own disorder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the feedback, I think. I was kind of hoping folks would say it was something else, but such is life. I dont have many bad habbits left. I quit drinking in July. Shortly afterwards I started going through wild mood swings. According to my Therapist, when I quit drinking I unmasked the bipolar disorder. The depersonalization really scares the crap out of me. Hopefully I'll get some control over it or at least learn to ignor it or something. This has been a horrible year. I was really disappointed when this depersonalization started.

Maybe I should have just kept drinking.

Again thanks

allan35

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.