Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,

i joined this forum to gain insight and build community with other people experiencing DP/DR because it can feel lonely. i have been experiencing this since 2017 after leaving a physically abusive relationship. at first i showed symptoms of anxiety and then suddenly i felt that i was in a dream 24/7– distant from memories, feelings, surroundings. i sought support from a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with DR. since then, i’ve invested in talk therapy(CBT, psychoanalytic, EMDR) which has been helpful in coping but i think having support with people who are experiencing the same/similar would feel less isolating. if there are any support groups that anyone knows of/ or if anyone is interested in forming a support group for DPDR i would like to offer and receive support in that way.

· Registered
572 Posts
hey there,

i joined this forum to gain insight and build community with other people experiencing DP/DR because it can feel lonely. i have been experiencing this since 2017 after leaving a physically abusive relationship. at first i showed symptoms of anxiety and then suddenly i felt that i was in a dream 24/7– distant from memories, feelings, surroundings. i sought support from a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with DR. since then, i’ve invested in talk therapy(CBT, psychoanalytic, EMDR) which has been helpful in coping but i think having support with people who are experiencing the same/similar would feel less isolating. if there are any support groups that anyone knows of/ or if anyone is interested in forming a support group for DPDR i would like to offer and receive support in that way.
do you think that you will have this forever,

· Registered
54 Posts
hey there,

Yes, a support group is a great idea! Maybe something like a Discord server could work? Direct communications with other people who have dpdr is something ive often thought would be nice :)

PS. And welcome to you :D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a support group is a great idea! Maybe something like a Discord server could work? Direct communications with other people who have dpdr is something ive often thought would be nice :)

PS. And welcome to you :D
thank you:) and i agree-- once a few people respond maybe we can form one.

· Registered
572 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Considering the relative obscurity of depersonalization syndrome in the general population I'd consider using the Internet and Zoom. If you model your meetings off of group therapy sessions and have clear authoritative leaders it should go alright. An organization called Unreal UK is doing this. Some people from the US and mainland Europe have attended the support group but maybe everyone in the organization is British. There is a New York organization called Initiative for Depersonalization Studies but frankly it doesn't seem to be doing anything. If you want a group to attend right now it doesn't have to be tailor-made for depersonalization, rather you could attend a local mental health support group.

I see some of you are talking about making a Discord server. There is an unofficial chat here: DPSelfHelp - Chatzy. If you wanted to maximize your Discord server you could pull from multiple communities such as the r/depersonalization. Here is a list of public Discord servers tagged depersonalization and derealization: https://disboard.org/servers/tag/derealization

If you decide to use Zoom or a similar video chat client I'd be happy to help, just send me a message here on DPSH.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering the relative obscurity of depersonalization syndrome in the general population I'd consider using the Internet and Zoom. If you model your meetings off of group therapy sessions and have clear authoritative leaders it should go alright. An organization called Unreal UK is doing this. Some people from the US and mainland Europe have attended the support group but maybe everyone in the organization is British. There is a New York organization called Initiative for Depersonalization Studies but frankly it doesn't seem to be doing anything. If you want a group to attend right now it doesn't have to be tailor-made for depersonalization, rather you could attend a local mental health support group.

I see some of you are talking about making a Discord server. There is an unofficial chat here: DPSelfHelp - Chatzy. If you wanted to maximize your Discord server you could pull from multiple communities such as the r/depersonalization. Here is a list of public Discord servers tagged depersonalization and derealization: https://disboard.org/servers/tag/derealization

If you decide to use Zoom or a similar video chat client I'd be happy to help, just send me a message here on DPSH.
hey, thank you for sharing this information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts