20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is having an inner voice bad or normal
Is feeling like you hear your inner voice bad?/normal

Anyone relate?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is normal to have an inner voice. It is an idea and/or thought generator as well. I do wonder how the mind might work in someone who never learned a language. Would they think in grunts and snorts?, or just through emotional sensations.

Anyway, the inner voice, thought and or idea generator is prone to dysfunction, just like your stomach. When your stomach is upset, you get gas, diarrhea, bloating, etc. So it is when the brain has pathology. You get symptoms which, I guess, would

fall under the heading of OCD. I have had routine and unwanted and inappropriate impulsive suggestions. I don't mind thinking 'out of the box", but too far is too far. I had quite a variety of psychiatric symptoms over 40 years, and my experience

tells me they are all related and intertwined and interdependent. The reason I say this, is that ECT in 2014 ended my recurrent depressive episodes and ended all associated symptoms.

I still have ocular migraines on occasion, but everything else has resolved.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is having an inner voice bad or normal
Is feeling like you hear your inner voice bad?/normal

Anyone relate?
You couldn't have written this post without it, nor would you be able to think any thought whatsoever. Yes, it's normal. Not having it would be highly abnormal, and you'd pretty much be braindead or would've had to grow up in an environment without any language.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
You couldn't have written this post without it, nor would you be able to think any thought whatsoever. Yes, it's normal. Not having it would be highly abnormal, and you'd pretty much be braindead or would've had to grow up in an environment without any language.
This is false. Many in the DP Community claim "Blank Mind" as a symptom. I've experienced it myself for nearly 16 years now. Proof: When someone has a brain fart they are able to vocalize "I just had a brain fart". You certainly can type/speak, even "think" without the inner monologue. And the Blank Mind is just that, loss of an inner voice.

·
Registered
449 Posts
if I identified what you mean correctly (if what I think you mean is actually what you mean) then yes I think it is very normal . me personally I would actually be more concerned if that inner "voice" wasnt there . but I can understand that it might also disturb you a little when that inner "voice" is too chaotic . but that comes from your anxiety or stress etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is false. Many in the DP Community claim "Blank Mind" as a symptom. I've experienced it myself for nearly 16 years now. Proof: When someone has a brain fart they are able to vocalize "I just had a brain fart". You certainly can type/speak, even "think" without the inner monologue. And the Blank Mind is just that, loss of an inner voice.
I don't believe at all that you would've been able to write that post without an inner voice or at least visualizing the words. That'd imply thinking without language. Utilizing language without thinking through language seems impossible. How can you write down a sentence without thinking about that sentence; how can you speak a sentence out loud without speaking that sentence to yourself in your head as you speak it? Thinking without using language is one thing-though you need some sort of mental language/symbolic system even if not a conventional language-but communicating without thinking in the language that you're communicating in seems like a complete absurdity.

I don't believe that it's possible to speak a sentence without speaking that sentence to yourself in your head as you speak it. Not having an inner voice would at the very least render speaking impossible.

Proof: When someone has a brain fart they are able to vocalize "I just had a brain fart".
I have no idea what this means. I don't see any proof for anything here. Brain fart pretty much equates to a confabulation, i.e remembering something wrong. How does that imply the person not having an inner voice when they vocalize "I just had a brain fart"? I don't see the connection.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
I'm not going to debate this with you as you are obviously and simply not open to the possibility that the common symptom "Blank Mind" is a complete and utter loss of inner monologue/inner voice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not going to debate this with you as you are obviously and simply not open to the possibility that the common symptom "Blank Mind" is a complete and utter loss of inner monologue/inner voice.
I'll change my mind if you can provide a cogent argument that accounts for communicating, especially speaking, using a language without thinking in that language while doing it. Just try speaking; you'll notice that you're actually utilizing your inner voice for speaking.

But fine.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
Consciousness itself is barely understood by science. Scientists are currently debating if Consciousness even exists. I believe one day, if Consciousness does exist, which I believe it does, then it will be potentially possible to detect and study and maybe even manipulate Consciousness. The point being that the subject we're talking about here isn't even understood fully by the experts. I'm just a guy who lost his inner monologue 16 years ago and it hasn't come back, ever. And a quick look through the search option on this forum will indicate that many with DP/DR report a loss of inner voice AKA: Blank Mind.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
Before this began, I once asked a bilingual friend if he thought in English or his Mother Tongue. He said he thought in images/pictures. I didn't understand it then, but I kind of do now. I know of people with DP/DR that can't even conjure mental images, let alone words or inner voice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Consciousness itself is barely understood by science. Scientists are currently debating if Consciousness even exists. I believe one day, if Consciousness does exist, which I believe it does, then it will be potentially possible to detect and study and maybe even manipulate Consciousness. The point being that the subject we're talking about here isn't even understood fully by the experts. I'm just a guy who lost his inner monologue 16 years ago and it hasn't come back, ever. And a quick look through the search option on this forum will indicate that many with DP/DR report a loss of inner voice AKA: Blank Mind.
It's pretty well established that complex reasoning requires language and thus an inner voice. It's also possible to think in images, but the extent of complexity that this goes is nowhere near verbal thinking. We conceptualize complex matters in language in our minds.

Consciousness obviously exists because we have it. The question is how exactly consciousness works. I don't know how many scientists today are dualists, but I'd wager not many. Neuroscience has showed us that properties of our consciousness correspond to certain areas in the physical brain, and our knowledge of these correlations is constantly expanding.

Consciousness is already easy to manipulate. All you have to do is smoke some weed or maybe grow a brain tumor.

And a quick look through the search option on this forum will indicate that many with DP/DR report a loss of inner voice AKA: Blank Mind.
People's anecdotal reports on this forum are hardly evidence of anything. First, there's the problem of subjective interpretation: "blank mind" could mean 50 different things depending on who you ask. Then there's the problem that people tend to exaggerate a lot of these forums. I've seen things such as "I have no emotions". That's a blatant exaggeration. Yes, I believe this inner voice can be impacted in some ways, but losing it entirely seems implausible for the reason that complex thinking would become impossible.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Before this began, I once asked a bilingual friend if he thought in English or his Mother Tongue. He said he thought in images/pictures. I didn't understand it then, but I kind of do now. I know of people with DP/DR that can't even conjure mental images, let alone words or inner voice.
Then how do they think at all?

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
Lucky for me I don't have to prove blank mind exists to you. Would you ever know what being high from smoking weed is like, without experiencing it? No. Would you ever suspect symptoms of dissociation exist without first experiencing it for yourself? No. Do many of us try to explain our conditions to family and loved ones who don't have it and are met with resistance or incapacity to understand this condition? Yes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lucky for me I don't have to prove blank mind exists to you. Would you ever know what being high from smoking weed is like, without experiencing it? No. Would you ever suspect symptoms of dissociation exist without first experiencing it for yourself? No. Do many of us try to explain our conditions to family and loved ones who don't have it and are met with resistance or incapacity to understand this condition? Yes.
Yeah, maybe you're right. I just can't see someone entirely losing their inner voice and still communicating somewhat normally. But all I have is conjecture, so I'll just leave it at this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts