1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yep, my biggest problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For me, it's a mental inability to relax, my head is so wound up and bunched tight i havent felt relaxation in 1.5 years. Yes stuff like breathing techniques do not work for me, nor does watching tv, or taking a bath. However i still sleep, so i must have some latent ability to relax when i need to

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can´t relax while taking a bath, can´t relax while being on vacation; it´s sad when you rather go to work than stay at home. I didn´t have a "relaxed moment" for 1.5 y now as well, which is exhausting. I wish I could enjoy everything like I used to

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Has anyone experienced inability to relax? Physically? I feel like my body is so tense no matter what I do. Breathing techniques don't help. When I'm exhaling my body still is extremely tense. While I experience no anxiety whatsoever. (or maybe dp just disabled me to feel it)
This is fight or flight mode...Your body is in hyper alert...But Your mind has become numb to the anxiety....

Its classic DP where your body and mind have almost seperated....In a way your mind has decided there is too much going on and im checking out for a bit...Hence the numbness and lack of emotion DPers talk about....But adrenalin is still flowing through your body which results in that constant on edge sensation...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
yes this is me as well. the only time i feel slightly relaxed is when i'm laying down, which i know i'm not supposed to do too much if i wanna get better.
On the contrary laying down and resting and extra sleep is essential for recovery...Simply because our bodies and especially our minds need extra breaks from the constant bombardment of intrusive anxiety fuelled thinking.....If you are trying to push yourself harder towards recovery you are in fact adding extra pressure and stress to yourself...

And stress is DPs candy...

Reducing stress in all areas of our lives is absolutely essential when trying to recover from DP...And when you do recover you need to keep those stress levels down.....Otherwise you will be right back here in a few months/years going through the exact same hell all over again...

If we dont change our lifestyles drastically we wont recover or improve....Think of DP as a warning that you have been living the wrong way....Heed the warning and change for the better.....And when I say for the better I mean slow down, reduce all lifes pressures, eat better, take more relaxing types of exercise (walking in nature) and STOP trying to force yourself beyond your limits just because society demands you do.....Ive got news for everybody on here...We are human and do have limits....We need to recognise them and lower our personal bars....We CANNOT live up to everybody elses expectations constantly....Its impossible and as a result we in a way are our own worst enemies....We cause our own stress almost.....

We are ALL focussing on too much of what we WANT and not enough of what we NEED.....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
And I seriously doubt you even have dp eddy studying your posts
Really..................................................

I guarantee I know alot more about this condition than your narrow mind will ever even begin to comprehend...

Come out from behind the mask please..........

If youve read my posts properly you will know that I do nothing but encourage and back people up on this forum and have done for many years....

You also know nothing of my history as regards DP so please dont judge books by covers....

Has it occurred to you that maybe after 30 years of DP that I have learned a thing or two about this weird and wonderful condition...

Please dont be so presumptuous....You may just be coming back here one day with your tail between your legs asking me for advice on how to manage long term DP....Cos guess what....Thats what Ive learned to do....

Troll Alert..................

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps, when trying to relax, dont focus on relaxing. Focus on the thing in the here and now. If u take the focus away from relaxing and being anxious to just simply observing your breath or sounds around you in a meditative state, it may help. Not saying itll take the problem away but for a time, you may forget about relaxing and actually relax without thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I never ever thought a "tiny" vitamin could actually help me but honestly it has 100% improved my extreme restlessness. I am severely depressed etc and I do still think I have brain problem but please try Vitamin B1.

For the life of me I was not expecting it to work but I can honestly say my restlessness has been better since starting Vitamin B1. I do still get attacks of restlessness but nowhere near as long and as severe as before I started Vitamin B1. It hasn't helped my other problems but honestly please try it.

You get Vitamin B1 from a clean healthy diet such as vegetables, fish etc but I personally take "Berocca" I stumbled upon the effects a deficiency in B1 has on the nervous system by a doctor on YouTube and gave it a try. My pulse rate has been dramatically better too, but I can't sit here and lie and say it has cured or made my DP/DR better as it has not.

I will be researching into other vitamins & Minerals and will report back.
If you have bouts of low mood vitamin D is very helpful....The main source is from natural sunshine....I find natural bright sunshine amazing for my mood...Winter months here in ireland are dark, grey and long....It is the sole cause of my S A D and low mood...Im a different human on sunny days...Chalk and cheese...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It all makes sense. However, I don't have any obviously stressful situations in my life. But my body is tense all the time. Sometimes I just don't pay attention to it. There's like a wall between my mind and body. Seems like I can't resolve any issues cause I just can't get to them/be aware of them. What to do in that case?
If you are the type of person who normally cant sit still for too long theres underlying anxiety in your life and its been there for a while...Usually from a young age....The problem we have is that we have grown up in a tense state and its been the norm for us for a very long time...

As a result we often think we have no anxiety....It can be the simplest forms of anxiety to the most horrible traumas...But its been there from a young age....Its never been a problem until DP appeared...And then suddenly we are left thinking ...What the f**k ...Why have i ended up like this....I was fine until now....Until this switch flicked...

Truth is we have been predisposed to DP from years of anxiety but just were not aware of it...

I can almost guarantee that most DP sufferers are perfectionists, have low self esteem, are always rushing around trying to do a million things at once, find it difficult to sit with themselves quietly for too long, feel a sense of being on edge and are mentally lonely (even amongst family and friends) and have turned to drugs or alcohol at some stage for relief...

Weve always felt like outsiders froma young age...

Its no wonder we develop DP

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I don't feel we should judge one another on the severity of our illness.

I definitely find it hard to relax with this. I try so hard to only focus on the moment at hand but it's incredibly hard. Sometimes I take it hour by hour or even minute by minute. I also take meds though :/ not saying anyone should but I've had to function as a mom and don't get to take time outs with that one.

I try and think of the most comforting things. Your body is tense most likely from anxiety. I need to try more mindfulness when I'm NOT as anxious so it works better when I am. Are you familiar with DBT therapy?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I was once told by a very smart and wise individual that if you are anxious you are living with your head consatntly in the future and if you are depressed you are consatntly living with your head in the past..

The Solution ?

Live in the here and now....Keep your mind in the present moment...

Of course with full blown DP this is extremely difficult cos we just want out of it...

But WHEN we do recover or improve (and we do) its an excellent way to live in this crazy modern world of ours....

No matter how hard we think about it or try we CANNOT alter the past and we CANNOT predict the future...So maybe we should remain in the NOW...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Perhaps, when trying to relax, dont focus on relaxing. Focus on the thing in the here and now. If u take the focus away from relaxing and being anxious to just simply observing your breath or sounds around you in a meditative state, it may help. Not saying itll take the problem away but for a time, you may forget about relaxing and actually relax without thinking about it.
This is a nice form of distraction.......

Creative hobbies work wonders for this too....They not only distract and catch your attention...They also exercise and relax your mind at the same time...

The mind is a muscle it requires regular exercise and regular down time...Its all about striking a balance (When we feel better and alot less DPed of course)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't know one person who can sit with themselves. Most people run from themselves. Unless you're experiences enlightenment.

And most people feel lonely.

I don't know, I don't wanna label myself as a person with dp/dr anymore. I just call in being human.
You can absolutely learn to sit with yourself over time...I dont mean literally sitting alone staring at 4 walls in silence trying to force your self to obtain Intergalactic Omnipresent Oneness LOL....Im actually talking about having YOU time (with music or meditation or art or a good book etc etc) Basically doing somethign that captivates you and distracts you and loosens you up and at the same time helps ease your mind of worry and everyday STRESS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts