Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due to start this tomorrow and strangely it hasn't been mentioned on this website before. Clomipramine is the only 'DP drug' I haven't tried yet, but is low in supply and my dr recommended this instead. It is the same as clomipramine but as the same suggests clomipramine has a chlorine molecule attached. Don't know if there is going to be much difference but I will try anything at this stage for some relief

Has anybody tried this or clomipramine?

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, but I’m currently taking Adrafinil and it’s helping a lot. However, I’m going to switch from my SSRI to clomipramine soon. I’ll let you know how things go. I plan on going with this combo- Clomipramine, Lamictal, Adrafinil/Modafinil.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to know. It didnt help me unfortunately but everyone is different. Hoping imipramine does me some good tonight. First dose. The only drug I have seen that has depersonalization listed under medical uses (only on wikipedia tho lol but its something)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Imipramine (Tofranil) is a tricyclic antidepressant that came on the market in 1957. Clomipramine (Anafranil) added a chlorine molecule to imipramine, was patented and approved for depression in 1970. Adding an inert molecule to an approved medication,

patenting and marketing the new medication, is an old trick of big Pharm to make more money without doing any labor. Is your doctor in his 80s, or is he just a fain of the oldies? One of the benefits of these older tricyclics is that they are available as generics.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh I know this all too well. And then use statistics to change the side effects profile; "New and improved formulae with fewer side effects and ever so slightly better at treating depression".

Lol nah my doctor is young but supportive. I asked for this one as there have been a few cases where this 'cured' DPD specifically, as well as clomipramine being the only drug with Depresonalization being listed under medical uses (on Wikipedia, but still its rare to see it mentioned anywhere). Unfortunately couldn't read the link it was attached to on wiki

It seems to be helping me relax at least. Which is quite strange as it is day 2 but definitely feeling the effect of the drug even on 25mg. Havent had that with an antidepressant before except mirtazapine. Optimistic at the moment, slight improvements at this stage cant be a bad thing. Will try and update daily/with changes

·
Registered
821 Posts
2nd day on imipramine and feeling some good from it. Slight relaxation despite it strangely keeping me up all night when its meant to be a sedative. I am optimistic about this. It feels more tolerable than when I took venlafaxine (effexor) as it gave me issues with my wiener. Effexor did seem to help my DP a little when I took it, but it was at the beginning of DP and for some reason the willy problems worried me. Mainly because I read of people becoming permanently impotent and my Dr having no knowledge of this so wasnt exactly reassuring.

Imipramine seems to be similar to Effexor as it increases serotonin and norepinephrine as well as raising BDNF levels... so I am hopeful and if I get any problems with the little guy this time I will push through. Hoping to get some sleep tonight

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9715363

The above was a tiny sample size but showed one patient responded to desipramine and one to clomipramine (out of 8 total). Also considering that 2 patients discontinued due to side effects this is quite strong... I can't see the dosage they were given, but hope they were tapered onto it like I am- 25mg a day at first noting side effects and then up to 50mg when they subside. I had a bit of nausea and insomnia the first few days but my body seems to have adapted. I am a but more fatigued than usual and sleep more but perhaps this is what my body needs

Don't know why I just found this, it's a shame there are no large studies on medication with DPD. King's college London really seem to be pushing the psychotherapy agenda at the moment. It is something that can help some but their research seems more based on this recently. I guess if you can have an 'effective therapy' you can charge obscene amounts (which they do). I would imagine that therapy of any kind would be thorough and take years.

Anyway, side effects are completely tolerable to me at the moment and am on 50mg. Plan to stay on that dose for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give it a go. My only advice would be start on as low a dose as possible. I started on 25mg, am now up to 50mg. For me the side effects have been fine, I am eating less but sleeping more. Need the rest though. I had a bit of nausea and insomnia the first few days but that passed and now I sleep better.

The side effects for this one often stop people but push through it if you can! Good luck, I am waiting for a while with this one as there are no side effects for me now which is nice (only a bit of constipation but nothing major). There are quite a few recovery stories out there with this medication. It increases serotonin, norepinephrine and BDNF (Brain derived neutrophic factor (grows new brain cells)). BTW this drug is pretty much the same as clomipramine, they just add an extra hydrogen atom or whatever and it is a 'new drug' with a new patent...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update; this seems to be helping slightly. Have slightly improved sense of smell which is an odd thing to notice. Feel more relaxed and sleeping better but eating less. Only been 2 weeks and am up to 75mg so still early days. There was a study on DP and sense of smell but it found no correlation, although it is something that is experienced with ptsd which I believe I have (CPTSD). Will update if there are any more improvements

·
Registered
89 Posts
i had never heard of this med
huh.png

i'll stick to citalopram for now, and if in more months it doesnt work, i think i'll switch/add this one

(also, do you have a blog here where you can keep us updated on your progress? if not, i think maybe you should consider it
smile.png
)

Reactions: Broken

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried escitalopram but it didn't help me, but everyone's different especially with DPD it seems.

I don't have a blog no, but I will add any improvements here if there are any.

Today was another slight improvement. Perhaps the DR is slightly better but this can change from day to day. Also feel more relaxed/less tense and my sense of smell was again noticeably stronger today.

Imipramine is a really old fashioned drug but many with depression swear by it. I'm in the uk and the only reason I didn't try clomipramine is because there are issues with supply here so my GP recommended this. Will be back with more when/if things continue to change!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't worked out for a while. I do intend on starting running again.

I take niacin, vitamin b3 that causes a 'flush'. Thought to be caused by releasing serotonin and b3 also increases bdnf which grows new brain cells. Other than that I have a fairly healthy diet, but the medication has been the main thing that has helped.... will give it some more time, but no negative side effects for me, Woke up today with a weird crackling in my ear. Hearing has been a big issue for me so hopefully it is helping that

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hearing is a big issue for me as well, sinusses always popping when i swallow and a minor ringing in the ears 24/7. Sometimes when i'm running my sinusses are cracking as well, it's like they want to pop open for real this time, but they never do :(

Let me know if the medicine is changing your hearing for the better!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"the following cocktail has given me nearly complete relief. Lamictal (lamotrogine) 300 mg; Zoloft (sertraline) 25 mg; Tofranil (imipramine) 10 mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 4 mg"

"After many years of screwing around with various meds, it just -happened- one day that I was feeling better, took a look at my situation and realized I had been unintentionally shifted into clonazepam, lamotrigine, and imipramine (clomipramine's father)."

"On 100 mg of Clomipramine and 200 mg of Lamictal now... I think I've been starting to notice some of the DP/DR easing up over the past few weeks. I'll keep you guys in the loop as I continue to titrate the clomipramine."

"When I had a relapse more than 10 years ago, Imipramine (Tofranil) blocked my panic attacks and eliminated all anxiety, and DP gradually wore off too."

"Well im on amitriptyline(brand name elavil) and id have to say it works great for depression. If you have the type of depression where you are awake allnight obsessing about everything tricyclics are probley the best option."

Above is a list of others experiences with imipramine or similar drugs. I think amitriptyline is quite similar to imip/clomipramine. It looks almost identical in structure and acts in a similar way. I am hopeful about this medication, it certainly is helping sleep which I feel is a major influence on my DP and anxiety.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"the following cocktail has given me nearly complete relief. Lamictal (lamotrogine) 300 mg; Zoloft (sertraline) 25 mg; Tofranil (imipramine) 10 mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 4 mg"

"After many years of screwing around with various meds, it just -happened- one day that I was feeling better, took a look at my situation and realized I had been unintentionally shifted into clonazepam, lamotrigine, and imipramine (clomipramine's father)."

"On 100 mg of Clomipramine and 200 mg of Lamictal now... I think I've been starting to notice some of the DP/DR easing up over the past few weeks. I'll keep you guys in the loop as I continue to titrate the clomipramine."

"When I had a relapse more than 10 years ago, Imipramine (Tofranil) blocked my panic attacks and eliminated all anxiety, and DP gradually wore off too."

"Well im on amitriptyline(brand name elavil) and id have to say it works great for depression. If you have the type of depression where you are awake allnight obsessing about everything tricyclics are probley the best option."

Above is a list of others experiences with imipramine or similar drugs. I think amitriptyline is quite similar to imip/clomipramine. It looks almost identical in structure and acts in a similar way. I am hopeful about this medication, it certainly is helping sleep which I feel is a major influence on my DP and anxiety.
That fourth quote was from me. I should charge you royalties.
icon_smile.gif

The TCAs were replaced by the SSRIs because of the side f/x of the TCAs.

I was DPd 24/7 until the tenth doctor I saw put me on 100mg's of Amitryptiline. It got me out of the hell i was in, but unfortunately, it had tremendous sedative side f/x, and people could tell just by looking at me that I was on drugs.

When I was put of imipramine for DP panic attacks years later, it took about 350mgs to block my panic attacks.

Like all ADs, they take about a month or so to work, and can affect your heart rhythm, so you have to go for EKGs.

You can OD on them, so people were very frightened of using large doses. They cause dry mouth and lower blood pressure, so you've got to pour a lot of salt on your food if they affect your BP.

Amitryptiline will really help your sleep, but the sedative effect is noticeable. Imipramine won't help your sleep until you go above 250mgs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Neurological onditions which can cause dp./ dr can also have effects on the vestibular system. I suffered tinnitus for several decades following an initial neuro-psych trauma at 17. (that trauma would later be understood to be

temporal lobe seizures).

The tinnitus consisted of popping and cracking in my ears. It was similar to what you might expect from eustachian tube dysfunction, but it was chronic and constant. Turns out the tinnitus was rare in that is was objective. The noise was discernable from the outside. It was real,

and it was caused by errant electrical activity from my epileptic syndrome. The condition is called palatal myoclonus.

Another reason to be evaluated by EEG if you suffer dp/dr with any of its side issues.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts