Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that exercise can really help dpdr but I'm about 40 pounds overweight currently (200, should be around 160), and exercise just completely throws the rest of my day off and I spend the whole day stressing about all these existential questions because of how out of it I get, so I just had to stop completely. Does anyone know if I continued through it until I lost the rest of my weight, would it eventually get better and not mess me up so bad?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You don't need especially strenuous exercise-or exercise at all-to lose weight. Even walking an hour at a decent pace will burn a decent amount of calories. It's your heart rate that counts; the higher the HR, the more calories burned. The primary component to losing weight is eating less, though, not exercise. You're simply trying to create a calorie deficit. You could potentially lose weight by not exercising at all and simply eating less, or more healthy, to create that calorie deficit.

You can use this to calculate your basal metabolic rate, aka how many calories you burn per day by doing literally nothing. This amount is theoretical, and you'll always end up burning more than this because you're not essentially asleep, so keep that in mind.

https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Good luck.

Reactions: WreckingHotelRooms

·
Registered
821 Posts
Perhaps try and deal with the thoughts first. When I say 'deal' with, IME meditation has helped. Just watching thoughts and learning not to see them as a threat. Also, focusing on the breath as a distraction from thoughts. It calms the body which can help.

As for losing weight I have never had the issue, I have quite the opposite. But bullet proof coffee can help. For breakfast just butter and coconut oil in coffee with milk... and I know that sounds completely backwards. But if you have just that for breakfast it gives you a surprising amount of energy. And it also keeps the body in fat burning mode which can really help. A sugary breakfast is the last thing you want to lose weight. Then have your carbs with dinner as this increases tryptophan absorption which then increases sertonin and then melatonin which helps you sleep....

Bit off topic there, but more fat and protein and less sugar (until the evening) could have quite a big impact. Going full keto or the atkins diet can be a bit less sustainable, but something like I described above could be a more long term plan

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wouldn't do it if it makes you feel worse. I would go for losing weight through diet, and though that itself may be unrelated to dp maybe you will feel better/life will be easier losing the extra pounds and you'll have accomplished something big so you will feel better, which is always good.

Just like the other guy mentioned. Calculate your basal metabolic rate online....and start counting your calories... my fitness pal helps count things for you...never eat more than that basal metabolic rate number and you will lose weight with time. Just stop eating junk/fast food completely or near completely to stop the blood sugar spikes and thus need to eat more. Learn to cook. Drink more water....and just stop buying anything you don't want to go in you. Don't tempt yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.