Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

TL;DR: I am confused about the concept of ignoring your symptoms so that they go away, which I have seen floating around the internet.

There is something that I have struggled with recently regarding DPD, and that is this idea of not focusing on your symptoms as a way to alleviate them. Meaning, reading a book, doing sports, doing activities with friends, as a way to almost be cured of DPD or push it to the back of your mind? I've read that on this forum as well as other websites, and I am struggling to understand it.

Some background about me before I move on:

Had my first episode of DPD at age 11, diagnosed with anxiety at 12, given Lexapro (which failed miserably), diagnosed with social anxiety by another psychiatrist who told me my feelings of dissociation would go away by 8th grade (lol) talked to a therapist on and off until 15, from thenon out I literally just tried to ignore my symptoms by not regarding them at all (did not work, in fact the feelings lasted longer from day to day and my memory/concentration became shot), recently visited at age 17 with another psychiatrist who formally diagnosed me with DPD, has prescribed me clonidine (I actually just started my first dose today, so if anyone has any feedback lmk). I have not suffered any trauma that I can remember (which I understand is the underlying cause for most people who have DPD), I have never done drugs, only had sips of alcohol, I do sports year round, eat a balanced diet without too much sugar or caffiene, have some friends, try to do all the normal teen stuff, etc. My theory is that I'm just one sensitive looser who feels too much/has underlying anxiety that is too unbearable, and subsequently the dissociation arives.

I've struggled with DPD for a while, it has enabled me from many things. I've gotten bad attacks that leave me almost paralyzed while at malls, doing my favorite sports, at my church, at parties, at friend's houses, at school, etc. It's terrifying as heck and awful, and I won't go into all my symptoms here but nonetheless I push myself to keep up the social life even if I'm hardly present for most of it-but let me get back to my question.

I simply cannot understand how people can say to ignore your symptoms and they will go away? I'm not trying to be pessimistic, and if that works for you that is great, but I feel like it is the same as telling someone with depression to just go for a walk outside? Or for someone with anxiety to do yoga? Even in the middle of a sport when I am concentrated on scoring the winning point, I am dissociated. Shopping at the mall with friends, I feel this overwhelming fear as a bad episode hits and renders me basically aimless-while still laughing with them. It makes me sad, the lack of information regarding this disorder, as well as the inability to treat it with mades, it honestly makes my suffering feel invalidated...but that is again a discussion for another day!

Again, if this works for you, that is good! But is there something I am missing? What do people mean when they say to stop focusing on the DPD? I hope this made sense.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think a lot of people experience an increase in anxiety due to obsessing about their symptoms, and the increase in anxiety is what make sure the dissociation worse and lasts longer. So some have found that by "ignoring" stymptoms and "living life normally" that the DP reduces or goes away. I don't think it works for everybody, of course, otherwise we wouldn't have lifers on here, like me. But I think it's generally good advice regardless of if it "cures" you or not. The brightest problem though is, depending on the severity of the symptoms, it may be impossible to ignore for some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts