Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just thinking what I would tell someone.. maybe help someone who just got it

I went 3 months without telling my parents, finally had to tell them cus my mom thought I was doing crack, I guess I was spazzing our pretty weirdly and when she said that I knew I had to say something

Everyone wants to get through this naturally, but me being myself, I feel like trying to do it myself, I increasingly made it really bad,

If I could go back, I think I would try a anti depressant from day 1, or week 1 or whatever,
I know life would be hell for however how long,
But I do see stories of people jumping on dp fast with medication and getting through this stuff with like 3 months to 6 months or whatever

I wish I did the medication route at first, was really against it cus I felt like the doctors screwed my mom up by giving her 18 different prescription medicine, and it really did screw my mom up, but a legit doctor who's trying to help

Wish I jumped on that from day 1

Cus now I have paranoia, and symptoms I can't even describe, I feel like there out of this world

Anyways, what would u guys do if u could have day 1 all over again

I'm like 2 years and 8 months deep

????????

·
Registered
343 Posts
If every other variable were the same other than that I somehow would've had the information that I was afflicted with DPDR from that day on and would've known exactly what it is, I would've surely freaked out, like I did back then. I still wouldn't have had any of the knowledge that pertains to coping with it.

Now if you suggest that I went back and retained *all* my experience up to this day regarding DPDR, or in other words the timeline was altered by inserting my current knowledge regarding DPDR into it, my life might've turned out completely differently because the bulk of the stress from DPDR would've been mitigated by that knowledge, the knowledge that it's not anything life-threatening and it's not going to get much worse over the years. A major part of the distress caused by it has been due to uncertainty whether it will get worse and such. It's impossible to tell just how I would act, but I probably would skip all the desperate attempts to cure myself because I would already have the knowledge that it's futile.

But realistically, I'd probably question my sanity because it'd mean that this knowledge would just appear to me out of nowhere. That'd be bizarre, to put it mildly. I still wouldn't have had any reason to research DPDR prior to that day, so I wouldn't have done so-and even if I had, it's different to read about something than experience it yourself, so like I said, for me to have had the relevant (coping) knowledge, it would've had to appear out of nowhere. You could go back in the timeline and alter it however much you want to reconcile it with the fact that that day I'll know about DPDR-so that the timeline makes logical sense-but you could never arrange it in a way that would give me the coping skills without them just appearing abruptly and unnaturally because they can only be acquired through actual first person experience. In short, I'd think I'm insane because I shouldn't have had that knowledge for any reason back then.

Hypothetically, imagine the information out of nowhere now popping into your head that you have chronic disease X, and you know exactly how to cope with it. Wouldn't you question the validity of that and whether your neural circuits have gone haywire? The weirdness of it all would in itself be a life-changing event.

So yeah, simply having known what DPDR was on that day wouldn't have changed anything because I figured it out in about 1-2 days anyway. I immediately googled it. On the other hand, having had the relevant knowledge that actually would've made a difference would've had to been acquired magically.

If I could go back, I think I would try a anti depressant from day 1, or week 1 or whatever,
If antidepressants don't help today, why would they have helped back then? Did the disease morph its mechanism somewhere along the way? For the antidepressant to have worked back then and not today, something like that would've had to happen.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If every other variable were the same other than that I somehow would've had the information that I was afflicted with DPDR from that day on and would've known exactly what it is, I would've surely freaked out, like I did back then. I still wouldn't have had any of the knowledge that pertains to coping with it.

Now if you suggest that I went back and retained *all* my experience up to this day regarding DPDR, or in other words the timeline was altered by inserting my current knowledge regarding DPDR into it, my life might've turned out completely differently because the bulk of the stress from DPDR would've been mitigated by that knowledge, the knowledge that it's not anything life-threatening and it's not going to get much worse over the years. A major part of the distress caused by it has been due to uncertainty whether it will get worse and such. It's impossible to tell just how I would act, but I probably would skip all the desperate attempts to cure myself because I would already have the knowledge that it's futile.

But realistically, I'd probably question my sanity because it'd mean that this knowledge would just appear to me out of nowhere. That'd be bizarre, to put it mildly. I still wouldn't have had any reason to research DPDR prior to that day, so I wouldn't have done so-and even if I had, it's different to read about something than experience it yourself, so like I said, for me to have had the relevant (coping) knowledge, it would've had to appear out of nowhere. You could go back in the timeline and alter it however much you want to reconcile it with the fact that that day I'll know about DPDR-so that the timeline makes logical sense-but you could never arrange it in a way that would give me the coping skills without them just appearing abruptly and unnaturally because they can only be acquired through actual first person experience. In short, I'd think I'm insane because I shouldn't have had that knowledge for any reason back then.

Hypothetically, imagine the information out of nowhere now popping into your head that you have chronic disease X, and you know exactly how to cope with it. Wouldn't you question the validity of that and whether your neural circuits have gone haywire? The weirdness of it all would in itself be a life-changing event.

So yeah, simply having known what DPDR was on that day wouldn't have changed anything because I figured it out in about 1-2 days anyway. I immediately googled it. On the other hand, having had the relevant knowledge that actually would've made a difference would've had to been acquired magically.

If antidepressants don't help today, why would they have helped back then? Did the disease morph its mechanism somewhere along the way? For the antidepressant to have worked back then and not today, something like that would've had to happen.
when i first started with dp, i was just super anxious, slurred my words, and had no thoughts in my head, pretty shitty, but stressing out everyday did manifest itself so a symptom i have today which what i say is, out of this world, i tell people, and they think its impossible

i guess me spazzing out hard every day and obsessing, i guess deep deep down im super uncomfortable, which i guess, everywhere i go, i make others feel uncomfortable, and im not even doing anything, just my pressence there i feel like i give off a uncomfortable vibe

i mean i googled and googled the shit out of this symptom, and found where like 3 other stories of the same symptom, it sucks feeling like everywhere u go u make people uncomfortable

and when i take antidepressants now, i feel as if that symptom intensify, sometimes the antidepressant makes me irratble and i get angry easy, and then i feel everyone around me is in a angry mood, it sounds retarded, but i feel like its super real.. and i do think its happening

but what im saying is, i got that symptom months to a year down the line, if day 1 i could of used a antidepressant, maybe i would be in a better place

cus now when i try them, people r just angry around me

sucks going to work and feel like everyone is in a bad mood because ur there

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i first started with dp, i was just super anxious, slurred my words, and had no thoughts in my head, pretty shitty, but stressing out everyday did manifest itself so a symptom i have today which what i say is, out of this world, i tell people, and they think its impossible

i guess me spazzing out hard every day and obsessing, i guess deep deep down im super uncomfortable, which i guess, everywhere i go, i make others feel uncomfortable, and im not even doing anything, just my pressence there i feel like i give off a uncomfortable vibe

i mean i googled and googled the shit out of this symptom, and found where like 3 other stories of the same symptom, it sucks feeling like everywhere u go u make people uncomfortable

and when i take antidepressants now, i feel as if that symptom intensify, sometimes the antidepressant makes me irratble and i get angry easy, and then i feel everyone around me is in a angry mood, it sounds retarded, but i feel like its super real.. and i do think its happening

but what im saying is, i got that symptom months to a year down the line, if day 1 i could of used a antidepressant, maybe i would be in a better place

cus now when i try them, people r just angry around me

sucks going to work and feel like everyone is in a bad mood because ur there
and im just saying, this is for the new people who get dp, what we'd do if we could go back ya know what im saying

or if we get cured, and get it again, whatever, hopefully that never happens, and we just get cured :D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
DP was a blessing in disguise for me...It scared me away from drugs like weed etc...

Otherwise I may just have turned out to be a complete waste of space stoner and drunk...

There is actually nothing I would change about my life now because I have learned that all of my experiences were part of my path in life and each and every one of them including all my dealings with DP have made me the person I was always meant to be...

The only thing i would possibly change if i could would be to be med free...But honestly a low dose of medicine daily is a small price to pay for my mental well being...

DP is not the death sentence it appears to be...I agree that when we are in the throws of it it is an absolute hell I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy...BUT when we come out the far side (and we usually do) we need to use the whole experience for the better...

DP is a warning that the way we were living wasnt good for us....So the answer is to IMPROVE and LEARN from it...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Unless your DPDR is caused by low serotonin levels, there isn't much reason to believe they would've done anything. And what I said still applies: if they don't help today, they wouldn't have helped back then any more than that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When DP happened to me before I had a mental meltdown at work and signed off for the rest of the day, I then went for a 10k run trying to get some endorphins going. However my anxiety and DP were serious and pretty incapacitating. It always is for me. In the weeks ahead I started meds, told my family I felt fucked, started CBT, kept on exercising. In the months ahead I quite my job and started Uni, got a new girlfriend, life changed and I got back to myself after a year and a half. I don't think it really does anything productive to think 'I should have done such and such'. Nomatter how far you are in you have a choice to start doing things differently: viewing what is happening differently; making lifestyle tweaks; start a new hobby. Eventually you will come out of your worst suckiest phase and the more time it has been, the more grateful you will be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The first thing a person should know in my opinion is it is just anxiety. Look at it as a weird feeling and make the necessary adjustments in life. If that is reducing stress, cleaning up bad relationships, friendships etc. also the main most important thing for me and for a lot of ppl is do not become obsessed by the symptoms. Do not spend every second of the day reading about it because it does dig yourself deeper in a hole. I would suggest get very busy immediately and surround yourself with friends and family and get busy. It may take a few days a few weeks but it would get better quicker this way than spending months worrying and researching it then deciding to take the necessary steps to recover. If you isolate, research research research it just adds more stress, more anxiety then depression sets in and the condition can go all over the place and develop other disorders. That would be my advice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The first thing a person should know in my opinion is it is just anxiety. Look at it as a weird feeling and make the necessary adjustments in life. If that is reducing stress, cleaning up bad relationships, friendships etc. also the main most important thing for me and for a lot of ppl is do not become obsessed by the symptoms. Do not spend every second of the day reading about it because it does dig yourself deeper in a hole. I would suggest get very busy immediately and surround yourself with friends and family and get busy. It may take a few days a few weeks but it would get better quicker this way than spending months worrying and researching it then deciding to take the necessary steps to recover. If you isolate, research research research it just adds more stress, more anxiety then depression sets in and the condition can go all over the place and develop other disorders. That would be my advice.
I'm living proof that it isn't just anxiety. Either that, or what I have is not what you have.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Unless your DPDR is caused by low serotonin levels, there isn't much reason to believe they would've done anything. And what I said still applies: if they don't help today, they wouldn't have helped back then any more than that.
sometimes the anti depressants do work, makes me more social, but the price is the weird bad vibe i put off intensifies were i have to stop taking the med, be blan again, but atleast i dont make others around me feel weird or angry and maybe before the weird vibe happend, i could of been on antis, feel good again, weird vibe would of never been a thing but i cant go back, dont even matter, just saying

·
Registered
125 Posts
For me, honestly I would have just done nothing. Ignored it and moved on because it wasn’t intense or anything, I just slightly felt off and anxiety kicked in. Because I had slight dr about 5 yrs ago after a panic attack and I think I searched up how I felt literally once and i read some where that said it would go away. After that day I forgot about it and maybe a week or so it went away. This time, I just made it worse

·
Registered
343 Posts
@perfectfifth. How did yours start? What was you main symptoms especially in the beginning?
I don't know how it started. One day I just noticed the world felt weird and fuzzy. It wasn't precipitated by any particular acute event. The symptoms have been the same from the beginning. Maybe it's gotten worse over the years; I'm not sure. I've probably got used to it to an extent, so it could be that it's much worse than it used to be but that I'm just used to it, so that offsets it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts