Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
I recovered once (unfortunately only for a little while). In my experience, I had massive physical shifts. If you're familiar with Peter Levine at all and Somatic Experiencing, I definitely went through the "completion of trauma". If you know the "frozen bear" video, where the bear is coming back awake after being stuck in freeze, I went through that exactly. I did start having headaches initially, yes...followed by more emotional feelings/presence, and then in a couple yoga classes I started shaking and sweating profusely. Not long after that, I was driving and I started to feel a little strange. I pulled into a random parking lot, and suddenly I was launched into a full-blown trauma release. I started feeling very psychedelic, having visions and my brain went all over the place...my body started writhing around, convulsing almost, my legs started naturally making running motions. I could feel blood rushing to my legs and torso - I became extremely hot and it felt like my organs were entirely rearranging and becoming more comfortable (which, after having bad ibs, was a crazy relief). I was uncontrollably making moaning sounds. Suddenly my breath became HUGE - for years I had been breathing so shallowly without realizing. It was scary, but I felt intense pure love and life, which I hadn't felt in years. It probably lasted 10 minutes or so, although I have no idea.

Afterwards, I felt alive again. It was like a gave birth to myself. I noticed everything outside, and how nothing had changed (I was in my childhood neighborhood). It was an intense feeling of "it's all still here, and all so beautiful". I then went home and took a massive nap.
In the next week or so, I had little mini versions of that happening again. When I woke up in the morning, I would naturally start wiggling around, feeling all this energy in my limbs and stuff.

I think my version of healing is kind of extreme, and also driven in part by kundalini yoga. I think for most people, the physical sensations start happening subtly or it's more like feeling more emotionally in touch, or suddenly having better sleep and appetite.

· Registered
531 Posts
I recovered once (unfortunately only for a little while). In my experience, I had massive physical shifts. If you're familiar with Peter Levine at all and Somatic Experiencing, I definitely went through the "completion of trauma". If you know the "frozen bear" video, where the bear is coming back awake after being stuck in freeze, I went through that exactly. I did start having headaches initially, yes...followed by more emotional feelings/presence, and then in a couple yoga classes I started shaking and sweating profusely. Not long after that, I was driving and I started to feel a little strange. I pulled into a random parking lot, and suddenly I was launched into a full-blown trauma release. I started feeling very psychedelic, having visions and my brain went all over the place...my body started writhing around, convulsing almost, my legs started naturally making running motions. I could feel blood rushing to my legs and torso - I became extremely hot and it felt like my organs were entirely rearranging and becoming more comfortable (which, after having bad ibs, was a crazy relief). I was uncontrollably making moaning sounds. Suddenly my breath became HUGE - for years I had been breathing so shallowly without realizing. It was scary, but I felt intense pure love and life, which I hadn't felt in years. It probably lasted 10 minutes or so, although I have no idea.

Afterwards, I felt alive again. It was like a gave birth to myself. I noticed everything outside, and how nothing had changed (I was in my childhood neighborhood). It was an intense feeling of "it's all still here, and all so beautiful". I then went home and took a massive nap.
In the next week or so, I had little mini versions of that happening again. When I woke up in the morning, I would naturally start wiggling around, feeling all this energy in my limbs and stuff.

I think my version of healing is kind of extreme, and also driven in part by kundalini yoga. I think for most people, the physical sensations start happening subtly or it's more like feeling more emotionally in touch, or suddenly having better sleep and appetite.
Reading this, makes me so sad and somewhat hopeful at the same time. I realize how numb I actually am, all these sensations and feelings people take for granted and we are stuck in this thick fogginess detachment. Pfff,

· Registered
31 Posts
Reading this, makes me so sad and somewhat hopeful at the same time. I realize how numb I actually am, all these sensations and feelings people take for granted and we are stuck in this thick fogginess detachment. Pfff,
Why does it make you sad? Maybe just the idea of everything being so different? (I know it makes me sad, that I had a window out but wasn't able to sustain it...ugh)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am currently reading Healing Trauma by Peter Levine. I've had my own hunches in the past about the nature of dissociation, and certainly observed the physical aspects of it you mentioned and connected many dots. The book has filled some holes for sure.

You said it was only temporary. How long did it last? Are you aware of any triggers? Would you say it wouldn't have happened without the yoga? Would you mind chatting in DMs.

· Registered
31 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. I am currently reading Healing Trauma by Peter Levine. I've had my own hunches in the past about the nature of dissociation, and certainly observed the physical aspects of it you mentioned and connected many dots. The book has filled some holes for sure.

You said it was only temporary. How long did it last? Are you aware of any triggers? Would you say it wouldn't have happened without the yoga? Would you mind chatting in DMs.
Currently giving you the whole, lonnnnng story in DMs, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts