Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean come on I’m not trying to be mean but we’d all be cured. I’ve even sat and truly been in the moment and it still was there . I’ll be sitting there minding my own business not even thinking about it and it comes back. People have had it 20 years and you think they haven’t stopped thinking about it? None of us know what we’re talking about. Sorry to be so pessimistic. You can change my mind if you want.

·
Administrator
983 Posts
Well, it can depend on so many things, it's very subjective, like, what is "it" that came back? Some say it's an obsessive compulsive thing, can depend on how you were before, if you had issues beforehand, and your sense of moving forward, or not engaging fully with things around you and letting go. How long is a piece of string, ya know?

·
Registered
631 Posts
The people who talk about just not paying attention to it, or not being afraid of it, and it will go away, are a major reason why, when I was trying to figure out what it was I was experiencing, I questioned whether or not it was DP /DR.

For me, at least, there is nothing to notice or not notice; it's just there, and the experience I've actually at many times enjoyed. I'm just sick of trying and failing at life so many times. I'd like to have friends, hobbies, work, maybe a good relationship. Hell at this point I'd settle for being able to follow along with the TV and get a good nights rest. People talk about these things and I wonder what I'm missing. Not to mention I'm terrified because I can't work or live on my own in this state (I've tried and failed miserably).

I do believe in my case there's is a physical cause (I have many many physical symptoms as well), so maybe "not paying attention to it" works only for purely anxiety-induced DP / DR? Or perhaps "not paying attention" can reduce anxiety and panic, but the feeling is still there? I'm not sure what the "ignore it and it will go away" folks are really getting at.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Pretty good point it doesn't go away with me but it helps lower it maybe? Or maybe I just dont notice it?
Stress with me is my biggest trigger and hormones .
The last few months my anxiety has been bad but expected for me .

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had about 4 months out of the 5 years i've had the dpdr where my anxiety went way down and I completely stopped paying attention/caring about the way i felt. In that time it seemed to lower significantly (or maybe i just wasnt noticing it) but then as soon as the anxiety and hyperawareness of how i felt came back so did the horrible dpdr

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I dont know how ANYBODY is supposed to not think about something that scares the living daylights out of you??????????

If it was that easy this crap wouldnt even be a problem in the first place.........

Ignoring it is practically impossible.........

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
What ya really gotta do is expose yourself to it....I mean is that not what desensitization is.....Facing your fears?????

In fact this tells me that all the people who go on about leaving the site because its triggering and prolongs DP are basically running from it....Are they not????

·
Administrator
5,298 Posts
I've been on this forum for a long time. And really the majority of recovery stories are "don't think about it and it will go away". However I don't know many long term sufferers if any, who have just "stopped thinking about it, and it has gone away." Obviously like you point out, there are many times when we are not thinking about it, and yet it has not gone away.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i get so confused when i see depersonalization videos on youtube and they all talk about this.. it seems like 99 percent of the ppl that do the dp videos on youtube dont have the severe spectrum of this disorder.. ive legit only seen 2 ppl talk about the blank mind head pressure dp its kinda fucked up to me as i think this is somthing else.. maybe the ppl that have the severe kind are too fucked up to even make videos like in my case i wouldnt even know were to start

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
i get so confused when i see depersonalization videos on youtube and they all talk about this.. it seems like 99 percent of the ppl that do the dp videos on youtube dont have the severe spectrum of this disorder.. ive legit only seen 2 ppl talk about the blank mind head pressure dp its kinda fucked up to me as i think this is somthing else.. maybe the ppl that have the severe kind are too fucked up to even make videos like in my case i wouldnt even know were to start
It is very easy for people who have either recovered or improved (through either one method or another) to preach about how their method of recovery (usually ignoring it) was and is the only answer....Throw them back into full blown DP and its a very different story....They usually come running back with their tails between their legs begging for help...Often the "recovered" completely forget what the DP was even like in the first place and as a result will preach about how their lifestyle changes and determination and attitude simply was what got rid of their DP....

Its funny how alot of these people are usually on a medicine now too....They often tend to not realise that the medicine is doing most of the work....Most of them will falsely believe that over time the med is not required anymore and will foolishly stop it either cold turkey or unsupervised...The result???? Google search for "www.dpselfhelp.com" And the all too familiar story of "Hey Im back again"

This condition is always in the back of the closet doing pushups just waiting for an opportunity to strike no matter how well or recovered somebody thinks they are....The fact is if you dont improve your lifestyle drastically and in particular manage your stress levels better this crap can come back with a vengance out of literally nowhere...

·
Administrator
983 Posts
I remember reading a recovery story where the guy didn't talk so much about trying to ignore it, but it was more that he got bored of the whole subject and just lost interest. We certainly can fetishize and feed it, like some ancient deity we're scared of and worship at the same time.

When we're really struggling it's hard to ignore, and it's such a vague and abstract thing that it can seem like there's nothing we can really get a hold of and work with, where causes and symptoms become so disconnected, but I find it can help a lot to focus on other areas of mental health - things that are more concrete and can be worked on, such as building on sense of self and resolving old issues from our lives that may be continuing to drive problems behind the scenes. You may hit upon a major issue in the process and find your DP reduces as a result, but it also has the benefit of giving you something pro-active to focus on other than symptoms.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if it was caused by anxiety or an anxiety related thing is it best to avoid doing things that would have previously triggered the anxiety or try and overcome it like go out of your comfort zone? theoretically it's the best time to do it while we're desensitized but will that make the dp worse?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this theory does not work for most of us since there are underlying issues that have triggered the DP/DR in the first place. To me it seems that one has to first overcome those issues to a certain degree or at least manage to reduce the anxiety and stress connected to them.

It is very easy for people who have either recovered or improved (through either one method or another) to preach about how their method of recovery (usually ignoring it) was and is the only answer....Throw them back into full blown DP and its a very different story....They usually come running back with their tails between their legs begging for help...Often the "recovered" completely forget what the DP was even like in the first place and as a result will preach about how their lifestyle changes and determination and attitude simply was what got rid of their DP....
I agreed, many that recover pretty much completely forget what being in the DP mindset was like. Therefore they believe it was them forgetting and ignoring it that made them recover. In reality the reasons for recovery were probably deeper and more individual - just as individual as the respective causes.

·
Administrator
983 Posts
if it was caused by anxiety or an anxiety related thing is it best to avoid doing things that would have previously triggered the anxiety or try and overcome it like go out of your comfort zone? theoretically it's the best time to do it while we're desensitized but will that make the dp worse?
Don't push yourself, especially not if you feel a pressure from anything other people have said. Always be on your side. If you feel you'd like to do something then go ahead, without taxing yourself too much. Kid gloves and baby steps if you need them. Do things because you want to and not because you feel you have to. Don't say yes when you mean no and don't say no when you mean yes. In your mind, support yourself totally in everything you do, even if it's just a little thing :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man... that was a good way to put it... we can put it on the back burner until we become hyper aware of how we feel again... when I start feeling the brain fog and the tiredness... I become hyper aware and start obsessing on it. With in a few days I feel insanely disconnected and like I'm just a fucking robot going through the motions... not paying attention to it may be the wrong way to put it... accepting it and just continuing on with your life would be more of the appropriate term for chronic sufferers. I'm glad I can still get a laugh from these responses sometimes though... "it's in the back of the closet doing push-ups"
By no means is this a funny matter... but I can just relate to it too damn much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts