Depersonalization Support Forum banner

I will have DP and DR for the rest of my life

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  eddy1886 
#1 ·
I've had it for 25 years. I have DP. I have DR 24/7. I don't know when it turned 24/7. My earliest memory of having is crossing the street to get a basketball and returning back just looking at everything because it looked dreamlike. Now I am 33 years old. I was diagnosed in my mid 20s. It was also determine I don't have PTSD or schizophrenia. I have symptoms of ptsd but not enough to meet the criteria for it. Actually meeting the criteria for ptsd and depersonalization isn't common. According to a book on it only 5% will meet the criteria to be diagnosed for both. The treatment plan I was told would be years of psychotherapy without medication (good, I hate medications and wouldn't take any). The problem is that it's so expensive. It's almost like it's only meant for rich people and none of the ones who specialize in treating dissociative disorders accept insurance to start off with. I don't even have any health insurance. It costs around $150 or more per session.... And it will take years according to the psychologist who diagnosed me and treats dissociative disorders. I even saw another one before her only 2 times because it cost too much. She's the one who told me to get diagnosed first. But she also said the same thing about it taking years of psychotherapy for results. This isn't going to magically go away on its own. As long as I am not receiving treatment for it I will always have it and it was caused by trauma. So I am being realistic about it. I will most likely have this for the rest of my life unless I win the lottery or something. People don't like hearing the truth because they fear it. I am so used to it that I don't even want to get rid of if for having fear of experiencing reality again. But that doesn't mean I don't experience uncomfortable symptoms due to the disorder. I am just more used to it than others.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear ya man....Have resigned myself to the fact its with me until I die aswell...

Im so used to most of the symptoms nowadays they are more of an annoyance than anything else now...But having said that take my meds away and watch me totally crash and burn...So its milder DP and anxiety and meds for the rest of my life...And thats fine by me....

To be honest the 6 out of 10 i am nowadays is fine by me until i exit this world....Its a hell of alot better than the total zero out of ten hell I came from...

#3 ·
There is a solution to your therapy dilemma. I don't know what it is but there is always a solution. Janine a former member had dp for 25 or so years and fully recovered. You can work out payment plans with some therapists. Ask around to see if there are resources for assistance. There is always a way. Hell, it sounds silly to some but I recommend if you believe in God then pray for a therapist you can afford! Never hurts to try, even if you don't believe.

#4 ·
There is a solution - if you go to a mental health clinic, ask if you can be put on a sliding scale system for payment. They will ask that you provide them with proof that you have no (or little) income and will adjust your bills accordingly. It's not a perfect workaround but it can get you in the door for less money. And yes, even once you do finally get billed (which likely won't be for at least six weeks or so) you can ask to go on a payment plan.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hear ya man....Have resigned myself to the fact its with me until I die aswell...

Im so used to most of the symptoms nowadays they are more of an annoyance than anything else now...But having said that take my meds away and watch me totally crash and burn...So its milder DP and anxiety and meds for the rest of my life...And thats fine by me....

To be honest the 6 out of 10 i am nowadays is fine by me until i exit this world....Its a hell of alot better than the total zero out of ten hell I came from...
You will make it to the 10/10, just stay true to your deepest essence and not what your mind tells you!

#6 ·
I hear ya too man! I'm 26 and i always fucking had it. The difference is i'm actually kinda hopeful these days. Making very small but still improvements and adjustments everyday.

Are you stuck in a crappy job or something? I'm back at my parents home for the time being and not in school or a job. It has helped me to remove all external stresses like finishing my bachelors (which i haven't yet).

#7 ·
I think for those that had it for several years are unfortunately facing a much deeper trauma that is causing this long lasting DP. But again I have my doubts -- and I'm sorry to say this -- with people that claim "I've tried everything". Reason for this is the many factors involved with this condition as well as the overall makeup of the individual. Cultural mentality is relative and so even thought-patterns aren't identical. Those that tried certain treatments are oblivious to other approaches. Why? They never thought of it, it never crossed their mind!

Before anyone thinks I'm disparaging people that have had it for years, I'd like to say that during my experience wit this DP I have searched and researched ALOT!

Now a lot to me can be quite different than a lot for someone else. Rest assured, I think I have the appropriate gene expression for "non-stop searching and browsing and endless curiosity" LOL.

I have a post regarding the possible causes and it is't complete but if anyone wishes to know more about it. Let me know.

I'm sorry for those that have this for years but you may very well find your cure if you lay out honestly and openly the things you cannot admit to be plausible or that you saw as a waste of time.

Some users don't believe that excessive masturbation can cause/worsen DP and yet there are some people that have recovered from DP by stopping masturbation!

#8 ·
u kno man, half my family is on meds and there normal as a mother, im not normal now but ive converted to medicine,

sometimes when u get the right 1,2 or 3 meds, its almost like ur normal, or u r normal

all it does is give u chemicals in ur brain that r not producing right

going back 2 my family, they r all normal as shit, u would never kno and there all hilarious af

if i have to take 3 pills a day to feel normal, fuck it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.