Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know how it was when I was in your shoes so I'll explain it very simply and clearly how I came to be cured:

I smoked weed, had a panic attack, started to derealize and started to think I was beginning to enter in a "psychotic" mode.

I freaked out like I never freaked out my entire life and I was like this for 3 weeks, I "lost" my minds while I was always logic, the sense of it was lost, which mean I only knew intellectually that I was indeed sane in a way, but I felt as if I was not.

I started to look on the internet and again, I become scared AF as I was reading about schizophrenia and psychosis etc (only hearing the words or reading it made me turn white like paper).

I went by my own request to a psychiatrist (3 different one) and they all agreed that I wasn't psychotic at all, and that I was just extremely anxious (generalized anxiety disorder was my diagnostic).

I had an obsession that I was possibly psychotic and I had intrusive thoughts, although I knew all of this was my own imagination and mind, the feeling of depersonalization and derealization being there made it FEEL like if I was psychotic.

I had my prescription, and after 2-3 days, I was relieved and started to practice grounding techniques.

I was able to sleep without sleeping pills after 2 weeks (or less, not more than 2 weeks that's for sure). And from 2 pills a day, I'm only taking half of one per day now, (planning on going half a dose per 2 days, to end up taking only one half per week until my anxiety is under control for good.)

Basically, it came gradually but I had confidence in my psychiatrist/psychologist.

You just need to learn to relaxe, dr/dp is a state of stress you can't handle, therefore you go numb in a feeling way.

Just go watch a psychologist/psychiatrist, if you're American just try to get it from an insurance, do not pay loads of money for it.

Yeah, what now? I go to the gym, I started a class in learning and practicing i what carrier I wish to do later, and I smile et laugh more than before, I smile about how ridiculous I was, and I actually know how most of you think I wasn't as bad as you now.

I had intrusive thoughts of the likes : "You're going to go home, take a knife and hurt someone", I knew all along it was an internalized fear of being schizo, when I watched movies and on TV, the schizophrenics are always shown as if all the psychosis they have is about killing someone they love, it's all BS, it's only thoughts but since I was afraid, I made it a big deal and couldn't move on, I never hurt no body when I was deep in dp/dr and nobody around felt threatened by me.

I was only hurting myself, not allowing myself to see daylight, to see people for what they are, people, not some kinds of perfect living things and myself the little cancer of humanity that I thought I was.

It'll be better, I would even advice, keep coming here... until you're having meds, than stop it and whoever you want to keep contact with, just add them on skype or whatever.

I had an other nickname when I was here, although some could find me easily by my IP address, I don't find the need to talk with my old username since I don't share the fear of dp/dr anymore.

Now my only fear is to die poor, and not showing my parents that I am properly grateful for all the good that they gave me and the support from them that I got during since I was born.

Go seek help, and take it easy, just don't victimised yourself and don't see yourself neither as the bad person.

Best hopes for all of you, this is what helped me, maybe you're way different but just look for help, and don't forget looking for help is a thing that only the brave in becoming can go looking for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats that's good you're feeling much better. The thing is for me I did look for help from doctor to doctor and meds only made it worse and the thing is there's a gazillion more symptoms on top of the dp that I am experiencing wich is odd when things start to accumulate I don't "think" it's a thing such as stress anxiety or depression that's causing it for me it's the other way around when I know something is not right with my body and mind. But I love reading success stories somehow gives me that little hope. Good luck :) I miss exercising I used to do taekwondo :) take care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anitas, again, this is only what I believe:

DP/DR are states of the mind when overwhelmed by X/Y, I strongly believe that one must find a way to learn to relax, for example I was a huge smoker since I was at least 18, now I'm 23, I didn't want to quit smoking altogether as it is a relief for me in a way.

Now I'm vaping, I'm having my "nicotine dose" but I don't feel bad about vaping contrary to when I was smoking, I gained some pounds, and didn't felt good when binge eating, now I'm doing intermittent fasting, and I lost some pounds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just try to look for what's makes you relaxe without having the guilty feeling of it, so if you lov smoking but feeling guilty when you do, start vaping.

You gained pounds because of binge eating? Start intermittent fasting, and you'll feel relieved in the long run.

I'm not in your shoes anitas, but I would steongly advice going in a sauna, then going in a cold bath (or cold shower) straight afterwards.

What made me more resilient when I was under DP/DR is that I always told to myself, if a literal schizophrenic can become someone and achieve, than I can also for sure.

I believe also that when learn to know that dp/dr are condemned to be temporary states of the mind, then the fear of it drops, sometimes I'm having glimpse of it, I owe some money to the bank and I'm feeling worthless when I'm thinking about it, but I know that it's not dp/dr that is making me feel stressed when this happens, but my procrastination that perpetuate it.

All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts