Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody just tell me they have been through this or something similar.

Is this dp or something worse? Just tell me honestly. I've known of no one who gets this thought. Dp existential thoughts revolve around life and death etc not about the f'ng nature of colour

·
Registered
182 Posts
People told you in your other thread they had the exact same thoughts. I have not specifically had these thoughts about colour, but the same thoughts about other things like clothes and sounds and any number of things.

I'm trying to look at it this way, our anxiety and dp/dr has simply made us temporarily a little bit thick and unable to think logically about these questions. So when you say a question like, 'why is red, red'? You won't be able to think of the idea of red as a colour logically, because your brain won't let you.

I used the example of the same principle with words before. Try it, try saying a word to yourself over and over again. It will lose meaning because your brain will lose the ability to be able to look at the word in the correct perspective.

I should really take my own advice for my problems too...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
People with depersonalization also typically have obsessive / intrusive thought patterns. Due to this, you're making something very simple into an incredibly existential crisis.

The simple answer your question about color is this: colors exist because we have receptors in our eyes that respond to certain wavelengths. Different wavelengths creates different colors - it's really as simple as that. This answer won't help you, though. I know the obsessive mind (as I have it myself) and you'll find a way to twist the answer in such a way to continue the existentialism. You need to target the issue at the core and accept that you are predisposed to having obsessive thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People with depersonalization also typically have obsessive / intrusive thought patterns. Due to this, you're making something very simple into an incredibly existential crisis.

The simple answer your question about color is this: colors exist because we have receptors in our eyes that respond to certain wavelengths. Different wavelengths creates different colors - it's really as simple as that. This answer won't help you, though. I know the obsessive mind (as I have it myself) and you'll find a way to twist the answer in such a way to continue the existentialism. You need to target the issue at the core and accept that you are predisposed to having obsessive thoughts.
But why does the wavelength appear as that colour?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
But why does the wavelength appear as that colour?
With tons of science, light, and eye anatomy.

I don't know exactly how the eyes work. What I can tell you is that it won't matter how much reassurance you get, you'll find something else to latch yourself onto. The important thing is not to search for the answer to the question, but rather figure out why you're asking the question in the first place.

Why does the idea of color startle you? Do you have insight as to why you're asking yourself these questions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With tons of science, light, and eye anatomy.

I don't know exactly how the eyes work. What I can tell you is that it won't matter how much reassurance you get, you'll find something else to latch yourself onto. The important thing is not to search for the answer to the question, but rather figure out why you're asking the question in the first place.

Why does the idea of color startle you? Do you have insight as to why you're asking yourself these questions?
Insight as in,psychotic? If you're asking me whether I'm psychotic,I will say I am because a psychotic person if asked the same question would say he isn't because he doesn't have insight. I say I'm psychotic which means I'm not.

I don't why it startles me;it didn't bother me last week.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Something my therapist told me helps me when I have questions like this. There are answers for everything, and there is a reason for everything: We just don't know all the answers yet. The smartest people in the world don't know all the answers to every question. Human kind is still discovering. That doesn't mean there isn't an answer, we just haven't learnt it yet. It means that there may well be answers for the questions your asking. You just are too anxious at the moment to even begin to discover that answer.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Insight as in,psychotic? If you're asking me whether I'm psychotic,I will say I am because a psychotic person if asked the same question would say he isn't because he doesn't have insight. I say I'm psychotic which means I'm not.

I don't why it startles me;it didn't bother me last week.
Insight, as in, why you have this cognitive loop.

You're not psychotic. Psychotic people are in an entirely different ballpark compared to these thoughts. This looks like textbook obsessive / intrusive thoughts.

Have you considered seeing a psychologist? A great way to break through this line of thinking is through cognitive-behavioral therapy. My therapist coached me through this therapy and it really does help a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As for insight. My reality has NOT changed. I lived 25 years of my life just accepting colour as it is. Since my panic attack in March my brain must have become wired differently. Reality is the same,my brain has just changed.

That's the best I can do for insight

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not dumb shit, and they do obsess over many different things. Look back at my posts. I've been posting regularly for months, and my obsessions are changing all of the time. I even posted a thread just yesterday about my most recent one. I still, like you, am never fully convinced it's dp, yet a lot of the signs point to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
But why does every other dp sufferer obsess of the universe and not dumb shit like this
Also, 'obsess' is the key word here. I used to obsess that nobody had the same symptoms as me, like you did here. Now I obsess that too many people have the same problems as me, too many to be true!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well the one I've been having for the last month has been pretty weird. I see coincidences everywhere. It takes over everything I do, all day every day. If I see one, I will think about how impossible they are to be true. I obsess over the idea that seeing these coincidences mean that I'm either creating them and everything else around me with my mind, and nothing else is actually real. Or that I have somehow magically transported to a different world. I ask my self every day, 'do I believe I'm in the real world', and can't honestly answer.

You see I've obsessed so much over it, I no longer know what I believe in, because stress fucks with your brain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts