Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to solve this mystery as to why I feel better when I get a cold or something that is moderately painful.My mood increases, I feel like I can feel my body more, I have more emotions and my depression eases.Could this be related to the opioid receptor ?
Also why could a kappa receptor antagonist help and at the same time things like codeine, morphine etc also help, doesn't morphine also stimulate the kappa receptor ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lol. I’ve experienced this too. I see that it’s like a placebo effect, but only because when you’re sick you don’t care about it anymore. Think about it this way. When you’re sick you have nothing to lose right? But when you’re not, life could be oh so much better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am trying to solve this mystery as to why I feel better when I get a cold or something that is moderately painful.My mood increases, I feel like I can feel my body more, I have more emotions and my depression eases.Could this be related to the opioid receptor ?
Improvement due to a cold might speculatively be due to an immune reaction, since there is evidence that inflammation could be involved in some mental disorders. That's why for example minocycline was studied for treatment-resistant depression.

On the other hand an improvement due to pain might possibly suggest the opioid system.

Also why could a kappa receptor antagonist help and at the same time things like codeine, morphine etc also help, doesn't morphine also stimulate the kappa receptor ?
Did opioid agonist reduce your symptoms?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lol. I’ve experienced this too. I see that it’s like a placebo effect, but only because when you’re sick you don’t care about it anymore. Think about it this way. When you’re sick you have nothing to lose right? But when you’re not, life could be oh so much better.
But then it should work with many other things than getting sick, right? Like for any difficult moment in life that is not connected to DPDR.

·
Registered
293 Posts
But then it should work with many other things than getting sick, right? Like for any difficult moment in life that is not connected to DPDR.
Any difficult moment that is not connected to dp/dr? It’s not that because being sick is difficult which creates the placebo, you don’t care anymore because there is no pressure. Even if you do get better from DP while you’re sick, youre still sick. So it doesn’t matter. I have seen this kind of process in myself, but it can be otherwise hidden

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Improvement due to a cold might speculatively be due to an immune reaction, since there is evidence that inflammation could be involved in some mental disorders. That's why for example minocycline was studied for treatment-resistant depression.

On the other hand an improvement due to pain might possibly suggest the opioid system.

Did opioid agonist reduce your symptoms?
Codeine does make my head feel clear, and depression goes away.I have read the study about minocycline that is being tested in Germany for depression and watched a documentary too.It look's promising.Minocycline came to attention when it stopped schizophrenia symptoms on 2 patients in Japan.There are also several cases in some other countries where minocycline also improved their symptoms.Actually.I got it prescribed for something skin related but haven't tried it yet.The only thing that I am worried about is minocycline induced hyperpigmentation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I experience the same when having a cold with elevated temperature. Usually heat just exacerbates my Dp and stress level and can make me feel lightheaded due to a drop in blood pressure.
Maybe it's inflammation related and/or the immune system pushes the vagus nerve/parasympathetic system.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Codeine does make my head feel clear, and depression goes away.
About kappa-opioid-receptors: It's thought that both receptor systems oppose each other somewhat. Both dull pain, but mu makes euphoric, while kappa makes dysphoric or even depersonalizes. Perhaps people who would respond to kappa-opioid-antagonist could benefit from mu-agonists and vice-versa. But that's speculation, just like always.

.There are also several cases in some other countries where minocycline also improved their symptoms.Actually.I got it prescribed for something skin related but haven't tried it yet.
For depression you need a dosage higher than for skin disorders. I think it was 200 mg/day, but you better look that up.

The only thing that I am worried about is minocycline induced hyperpigmentation.
It can have lots of nasty side-effects and many of them are worse than the smurf syndrome, like for example pseudotumor cerebri, where you can get blind. You should defintely inform yourself about the adverse effects prior to taking it, since it is one of the harder drugs out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts