Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! that;s all i can say. for those who have recovered, have you recovered your feelings? i can say definitely that i can't feel em, though i do think in an emotional way.... it's hard to explain. maybe it's my mind "making up" what i can''t feel during the day. This explains my moodiness and inability to find pleasureable activities that i can do during th day. all natural joy and spontenaity seem to elude me. does anyone on here also inable to feel their feelings? And it seems like I dont have thought but the very thing that spurs me on to write this message tells me that i really do have thought, since i'm here typing this out right now. It behooves me to go and do some emotional releasing technqiues but I know it won't work because I really do have no feelings. Is this because I'm suppressing them so hard that they are not evident? I think this might be the case. I've also had days when i seemed to feel my feelings, but that was some time ago, and I still had DP while during it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I feel the same way. I seem to have no feelings toward anything. I briefly regained them shortly after coming clean to my father about a large lie i had told him. My head seemed to clear up and i got very excited. That went away again though. I think this was cause i slipped back into my lazy, self destructive habit of not doing what i know i have to and making excuses for it. I beleive my feelings will return if i live my life in an honest and determined way. Its hard though. There may also be a deeper problem i need to confront.

There is probably a root to why you aren't feeling anything and i think the only way to cure it is to identify, accept and fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Do you feel fear? Sometimes I think it would be better not to feel at all cuz then I wouldn't be terrified constantly.

G

·
are you really depressed?

sometimes when you are severely depressed, that can happen to you. its called anhedonia (absense of anything joyous, more of a flatline).

it can make you feel like you dont exist.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'm quite luckly that I didn't really experience a loss of emotionally quality during my DR/DP - although now I'm thinking that I didn't have any emotions to start with. But that's another story.

What makes me curious is why illness, like DR/DP, but more specifically, psychotic illnesses like Schizophrenia, the florid symptoms have such an almost entirely 'negative' aspect. Now I suppose the answer is obvious. You break a leg - it hurts, you can't walk. But why, in the case of schizophrenia, are the symptoms so positively (sic) negative. Terrible delusions, taunting voices, cursing, terrible visions. Why is that? Why don't they hear voices that are telling them how wonderful they are, with visual hallucinations of flowers and bunnies, and delusions that are mild enough not to think and act out that they are Napeolean or Jesus. I know they do now and again, but the vast majority of their symptoms are negative.

And with regard to DR/DP, why do the symptoms not manifest themselves in a rather less savage way. Instead of a terrible feeling of estrangement from oneself, why not a pleasant haze of detatchment, if there can be such a thing. Why, in the case of DR, does everything look so incredidly, utterly, alien. Why not just stupidly odd, which makes you laugh but doesn't interfere with your life. And why, WHY, with DP, are the only emotions that remain untouched, ney - magnified, are anger, rage, fear, anxiety, panic...why don't these emotions disappear along with the rest of them? Surely if the natural function of DR/DP was to protect us from unbearable trauma, then these most negative emotions would be the ones to disappear, and we would be left with a blissfull(OK, this might sound like mania) ignorance. Does this mean that DR/DP has an alternate function - this being that by retaining the negative emotions, the fear, the depression, the OCD, our brains are making us face whatever caused the DR/DP in the first place, at some point or another. So can DR/DP be simply reduced to people who haven't, or are inacapable for whatever reason, of dealing/coping/forgetting their triggers? I don't believe that.

I know this sounds spectacularly stupid, but why? I don't want to get all R.D Laing about this, because I think his ideas are/were rancid, but it makes me wonder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts