Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I’ve had DP/DR for 6 years and I can care less about it tbh. If I had this shit the rest of my life I wouldn’t care. It is what it is. My only concern I have with this condition is being numb/unable to feel. Food deadass tastes like nothing which in turn makes it taste terrible by default. The entirety of my depersonalization I’ve been on diazepam. The medication has done wonders for me. At least I could actually feel to a certain extent. The problem is my psychiatrist is being a bitch and prescribing me a different medication called seroquel and labeling me depressed when I’m not depressed. I’m gonna go pick it up from Walmart when I get a notification on my phone that it’s ready. I’m going into this medication knowing full well it’s not gonna do anything like diazepam did. It only needs to make me able to feel things and not be so numb. That’s all I’m hoping for tbh. Has anybody taken seroquel before? I haven’t been on this site in forever because I don’t care about DP/DR and it’s so worthless to come here everyday.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
That is ridiculous! If XYZ med has helped you, this WHOLE fucking time, then why the hell would your psychiatrist switch you??? That's borderline malpractice! Can you not get a new one that will understand your needs?

I've taken a handful of meds during my time. But the only one that actually helps is the one I've been taking consistently for 12 YEARS now. And like you, it helps a LOT, (though not curing the DP/DR of course). My doc understood that I just need to stay on that one. I say "understood" in past tense because she just retired. So I have a supply of refills until January, after which I see a new doc in the same clinic. Hopefully he won't switch up my shit too!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ok so I’ve had DP/DR for 6 years and I can care less about it tbh. If I had this shit the rest of my life I wouldn’t care. It is what it is. My only concern I have with this condition is being numb/unable to feel. Food deadass tastes like nothing which in turn makes it taste terrible by default. The entirety of my depersonalization I’ve been on diazepam. The medication has done wonders for me. At least I could actually feel to a certain extent. The problem is my psychiatrist is being a bitch and prescribing me a different medication called seroquel and labeling me depressed when I’m not depressed. I’m gonna go pick it up from Walmart when I get a notification on my phone that it’s ready. I’m going into this medication knowing full well it’s not gonna do anything like diazepam did. It only needs to make me able to feel things and not be so numb. That’s all I’m hoping for tbh. Has anybody taken seroquel before? I haven’t been on this site in forever because I don’t care about DP/DR and it’s so worthless to come here everyday.
The answer is simple. Diazepam is a DEA schedule 4 controlled substance which puts additional requirements on the prescribing doctor. https://proficientrx.com/dispensing-controlled-substances/
Seroquel is not a controlled substance. It would appear to me your doctor is hoping the Seroquel will mitigate anxiety in a similar manner as the diazepam, while reducing the controlled substances he is prescribing to his patients. I've been on Seroquel. When you first begin the medication, it can make you very sleepy and lethargic. It is an antipsychotic that is often used in conjunction with an SSRI for depression. I've done that combination as well. I used it to combat my insomnia, and when I began sleeping well again, I dumped it. I did not like how Seroquel made me feel, but it did help me sleep. My doctor did something similar during one of my major depressive episodes. I had been taking a small amount klonopin (clonazepam) which had an immediate impact on my anxiety. Klonopin is also a benzo (shecule 4 controlled substance). He switched me to Buspar, (not a controlled substance) which might as well have been a placebo. I was suffering, but what did he care? He was managing his business, more than managing my mental illness. Put your hands on your doctors throat and tell him to stop fucking around with your medication regime.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate both of your replies. It has come to my attention that my doctor is most definitely fucking me over. She told me was putting me on seroquel but she put me on lamotrigine instead. And I have no idea if this shit is going to do anything. I’ve read that this shit is for seizures and bipolar disorder all of which does not apply to me, so why the fuck she gonna put me on this. Doctors man i swear to god you can’t trust them or depend on them. I hate all of them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I appreciate both of your replies. It has come to my attention that my doctor is most definitely fucking me over. She told me was putting me on seroquel but she put me on lamotrigine instead. And I have no idea if this shit is going to do anything. I’ve read that this shit is for seizures and bipolar disorder all of which does not apply to me, so why the fuck she gonna put me on this. Doctors man i swear to god you can’t trust them or depend on them. I hate all of them.
lamotrigine have been used in depersonalization for many years and some have benefit from it. It was the then depersonalization research unit in London who started with it as it in some trials could block the dissociative effect from ketamine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this lamotrigine shit aint doing nothing for me. im suffering and my doctor does not care. im about to switch doctors, i cant put up with her BS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was prescriped seroquel when I was on medication. It's a trend that whenever people describe their symptoms from dissociation to anxiety, psychiatrists have a tendency to label us bipolar. Seroquel is a medication that treats bipolar or schizophrenia. And i'm sure youre already aware, but no it doesn't do anything for you but make you number and sleepier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts