Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered if something really bad happened to me and that's where this DP came from. When I talk to therapists they always want to know what was going on at age six (the onset of my DP) or before. Before that age I can't remember anything bad and at that age the only bad thing was the DP... or actually it wasn't "bad" yet it was a weird rush like being on a rollercoaster. I guess it started getting bad soon afterwards when I couldn't get the feeling to go away.

But anyways... my current therapist thinks I have DP because I was molested as a child and the DP is my coping mechanism so I do not have to remember and deal with the pain or something. I'm not so sure of this... I know I have been sexually abused AFTER I already had DP so how come I remember these times and not the other(s)? Well children are obviously much more fragile I guess that could be why.

As far as hypnotism goes..... anyone here been hypnotized? Was any horrible event unveiled by it? Could people like me who just developed DP out of nowhere be victims of things we don't even remember? And maybe by not dealing with these things we have DP?

I don't know. I kind of want to be hypnotized, but I have weird feelings of it cuz my uncle used to tell us stuff like that was evil and we'd go to hell if we participated in it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have always wondered if something really bad happened to me and that's where this DP came from. When I talk to therapists they always want to know what was going on at age six (the onset of my DP) or before. Before that age I can't remember anything bad and at that age the only bad thing was the DP... or actually it wasn't "bad" yet it was a weird rush like being on a rollercoaster. I guess it started getting bad soon afterwards when I couldn't get the feeling to go away.

But anyways... my current therapist thinks I have DP because I was molested as a child and the DP is my coping mechanism so I do not have to remember and deal with the pain or something. I'm not so sure of this... I know I have been sexually abused AFTER I already had DP so how come I remember these times and not the other(s)? Well children are obviously much more fragile I guess that could be why.

As far as hypnotism goes..... anyone here been hypnotized? Was any horrible event unveiled by it? Could people like me who just developed DP out of nowhere be victims of things we don't even remember? And maybe by not dealing with these things we have DP?

I don't know. I kind of want to be hypnotized, but I have weird feelings of it cuz my uncle used to tell us stuff like that was evil and we'd go to hell if we participated in it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ive often wondered if hypnotizm might help me, i guess it's something i should really look more into.
as far dp hiding some past trauma, i tend not to think it does, as such.
i think no matter what the trauma, i think that deep down inside you would know about it, and with all the extra stress and trauma of dp itself, i think it would surface somewhere.
i know i have a few, i guess bad things in the past, ive managed to forget them for the most part, but i cant forget them completly, know what i mean.
i dunno, im no expert and i can only speak from own personal experience.
anyways, i think i might look into hypnotizm, who knows, it may be helpfull, good luck either way
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ive often wondered if hypnotizm might help me, i guess it's something i should really look more into.
as far dp hiding some past trauma, i tend not to think it does, as such.
i think no matter what the trauma, i think that deep down inside you would know about it, and with all the extra stress and trauma of dp itself, i think it would surface somewhere.
i know i have a few, i guess bad things in the past, ive managed to forget them for the most part, but i cant forget them completly, know what i mean.
i dunno, im no expert and i can only speak from own personal experience.
anyways, i think i might look into hypnotizm, who knows, it may be helpfull, good luck either way
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have been looking into NLP and Time Line Therapy...you can find plenty of information about it on the internet...

it is a form of hypnosis that identifies the problem (whether you are aware of the problem or not) and helps you through it again and look at it in a different way...

and helps you gain control of your life...look at the future with a purpose...

it could really help but i am not so sure if it will help dp/dr people...

anyways...have a look and judge for yourself...

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have been looking into NLP and Time Line Therapy...you can find plenty of information about it on the internet...

it is a form of hypnosis that identifies the problem (whether you are aware of the problem or not) and helps you through it again and look at it in a different way...

and helps you gain control of your life...look at the future with a purpose...

it could really help but i am not so sure if it will help dp/dr people...

anyways...have a look and judge for yourself...

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
i went for hypnosis about 4 months ago. they wouldnt do it on me as im scared of the detachment and they say that is how u feel after it. im detached 24/7 so ididnt think it would hurt to try but wot would i now i leave in hell.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i went for hypnosis about 4 months ago. they wouldnt do it on me as im scared of the detachment and they say that is how u feel after it. im detached 24/7 so ididnt think it would hurt to try but wot would i now i leave in hell.

·
Registered
967 Posts
when i was 17, i heard a song that triggered a memory from when i was very young. the details are sketchy.. but i know for a fact that it was a molestation experience. i was molested a few more times when i got older.. i remember those. but this one incident i sort of pushed out of my mind i think because it was too traumatic. i told my therapist about it, ( i think shes wonderful) and she told me that its probably better that i dont remember it.. and sometimes memories like that are better to be left behind. she said that hypnosis would most likely bring it back. if thats what i want but she didnt think that it would help me much. i kinda agree with her.

she thinks that the dissociatating is a good thing cause its a way that ive learned on my own how to deal with things that are dangerous or scary. its a defensive mechanism that we all have. but for some of us that defensive mechanism gets stuck and doesnt shut off. or we overuse it to the point where we're dissociating all the time even in non scary situations.. and the line gets really blurred to the point where you dissociate all the time. i think that in my case this is accurate. i learned how to turn it on as a kid so that i could remove myself from a situation even if i was "physically" there. but it was such a safe nice place to be.. that the whole world felt unpleasant.. so i just dissociated further. when i look back at the timeline of my life. this is very very apparent.

im not really keen on the whole hypnosis thing. i would never go to a psychic either. i dont want anyone prying into my mind. theres stuff there thats not for anyone else but me. plus hypnosis is so spooky. its like youre under a spell and completely helpless. im not a big fan of giving up my control. :shock:

·
Registered
967 Posts
when i was 17, i heard a song that triggered a memory from when i was very young. the details are sketchy.. but i know for a fact that it was a molestation experience. i was molested a few more times when i got older.. i remember those. but this one incident i sort of pushed out of my mind i think because it was too traumatic. i told my therapist about it, ( i think shes wonderful) and she told me that its probably better that i dont remember it.. and sometimes memories like that are better to be left behind. she said that hypnosis would most likely bring it back. if thats what i want but she didnt think that it would help me much. i kinda agree with her.

she thinks that the dissociatating is a good thing cause its a way that ive learned on my own how to deal with things that are dangerous or scary. its a defensive mechanism that we all have. but for some of us that defensive mechanism gets stuck and doesnt shut off. or we overuse it to the point where we're dissociating all the time even in non scary situations.. and the line gets really blurred to the point where you dissociate all the time. i think that in my case this is accurate. i learned how to turn it on as a kid so that i could remove myself from a situation even if i was "physically" there. but it was such a safe nice place to be.. that the whole world felt unpleasant.. so i just dissociated further. when i look back at the timeline of my life. this is very very apparent.

im not really keen on the whole hypnosis thing. i would never go to a psychic either. i dont want anyone prying into my mind. theres stuff there thats not for anyone else but me. plus hypnosis is so spooky. its like youre under a spell and completely helpless. im not a big fan of giving up my control. :shock:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Firstly, I think that there are many types of dp, even for myself and throughout the years, I have felt different types of dp, some more physical, some meore emotional symptoms. I truly believe that some people develop the skill to dissociate from trauma and abuse. Like sleeping beauty said, when she had been molested, she purposefully turned it on as a kid to protect herself.

If however, you are predisposed to being able to turn this thing on, it would take less for it to happen, if you know what I mean. There are many many people on this website who haven't been abused but it's so easy to get caught up in the hype. I have spent ages trying to remember if i had been abused but i just plain wasn't. My first experience of anything related to dp/panic was, like you peacedove at around age 6/7. I was in the car thinking about thinking etc and my only guess is, I felt dp'd, as I panicked and threw up. The scared feeling stayed with me for a few weeks and then went away. And same as you, a counsellor said that something must have happened before that. I can remember clearly what happened before that. I can remember being two years old for christ's sake. Just before that first panic attack I had lunch in a pub with my parents, I can even remember what I had to eat. I can remember the pub. The incident in the car scared me so much, that I have very vivid memories of the day.

Up until recently, I had no idea what happened to my mind that day and spent 18 years trying to put it to the back of my mind. But, just like any thing else, being abused, trauma, accepting something and looking at how we relate to it today, is the key. I spent hours chatting to my dad at a very young age about infinity, god, the world, and my dad encouraged it bcos he was so excited to have an intelligent child who was interested. I honestly believe that that first panic attack was the product of my own mind, and since that moment, I have always been afraid of just how capable I am of spinning myself out. By trying not to address the issue, I never realised how if I exposed it for what it was, ie just scary thoughts, it would no longer haunt me. Like many others with dp, I can remember looking in the mirror at a very young age and feeling that observer feeling, detached from the reflection. I can remember actually trying to push my mind to think of the weirdest things possible. My dad used to talk about the universe and say that it was entirely possible that there was another universe exisiting on the leaf of a plant, that it was infinite, and that we had no idea what was really out there (he was in the sciences).
The only things I remember about childhood that were not all pleasant, were times when I would be pushing my mind/scaring it. Never anything tangible, always related to something introspective. I spent a lot of time on my own so it was a breeding ground for this kind of thought. Then anxiety would follow. I am beginning to think that this could possibly be primary dp. Growing up, the nature of this has changed, sometimes triggered by anxiety, sometimes arriving on its own.
Even if something occured in the preceeding hours to that first panic attack, uncovering it would make little difference. It is not the event, it is how we think about it now, how we relate to those thoughts right now, not what happened. Deconstructing the emotions and behaviours brought about by that event is key, not reliving, rehashing the past so that it makes you feel sh*t all over again.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Firstly, I think that there are many types of dp, even for myself and throughout the years, I have felt different types of dp, some more physical, some meore emotional symptoms. I truly believe that some people develop the skill to dissociate from trauma and abuse. Like sleeping beauty said, when she had been molested, she purposefully turned it on as a kid to protect herself.

If however, you are predisposed to being able to turn this thing on, it would take less for it to happen, if you know what I mean. There are many many people on this website who haven't been abused but it's so easy to get caught up in the hype. I have spent ages trying to remember if i had been abused but i just plain wasn't. My first experience of anything related to dp/panic was, like you peacedove at around age 6/7. I was in the car thinking about thinking etc and my only guess is, I felt dp'd, as I panicked and threw up. The scared feeling stayed with me for a few weeks and then went away. And same as you, a counsellor said that something must have happened before that. I can remember clearly what happened before that. I can remember being two years old for christ's sake. Just before that first panic attack I had lunch in a pub with my parents, I can even remember what I had to eat. I can remember the pub. The incident in the car scared me so much, that I have very vivid memories of the day.

Up until recently, I had no idea what happened to my mind that day and spent 18 years trying to put it to the back of my mind. But, just like any thing else, being abused, trauma, accepting something and looking at how we relate to it today, is the key. I spent hours chatting to my dad at a very young age about infinity, god, the world, and my dad encouraged it bcos he was so excited to have an intelligent child who was interested. I honestly believe that that first panic attack was the product of my own mind, and since that moment, I have always been afraid of just how capable I am of spinning myself out. By trying not to address the issue, I never realised how if I exposed it for what it was, ie just scary thoughts, it would no longer haunt me. Like many others with dp, I can remember looking in the mirror at a very young age and feeling that observer feeling, detached from the reflection. I can remember actually trying to push my mind to think of the weirdest things possible. My dad used to talk about the universe and say that it was entirely possible that there was another universe exisiting on the leaf of a plant, that it was infinite, and that we had no idea what was really out there (he was in the sciences).
The only things I remember about childhood that were not all pleasant, were times when I would be pushing my mind/scaring it. Never anything tangible, always related to something introspective. I spent a lot of time on my own so it was a breeding ground for this kind of thought. Then anxiety would follow. I am beginning to think that this could possibly be primary dp. Growing up, the nature of this has changed, sometimes triggered by anxiety, sometimes arriving on its own.
Even if something occured in the preceeding hours to that first panic attack, uncovering it would make little difference. It is not the event, it is how we think about it now, how we relate to those thoughts right now, not what happened. Deconstructing the emotions and behaviours brought about by that event is key, not reliving, rehashing the past so that it makes you feel sh*t all over again.

G

·
If you don?t have any conscious memory of being abused in childhood, be VERY very skeptical about any therapist who is doing what I call ?diagnosing backwards.?

SOME people have dissociation as a result of massive trauma in childhood. Sometimes those people even claim they no longer remember the events. Sometimes therapy brings back memories.

That is VERY very VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY very.................... very rare.

The COMMON reality is this: sometimes we are driven into dp land NOT because of some violence or sexual abuse - but for things much more tame...yet, HIGHLY disturbing to US. Don?t buy into some therapists? beliefs that every ?trauma? must look like it belongs in a movie of the week staring Sally Field.

It is VERY rare for someone to not recall a trauma. VERY rare.
(sometimes during a horrible violent event, the person will recover and not remember while it actually happened, but those memories are NEVER coming back, they do not exist - there is no ?memory? ?in there? to come back.

The concept behind repressed memory is extremely complicated, and I could write a book on it. But...I am knowledgeable in the field of dissociation - and VERY well read re the best of the best psychiatric and analytic writers - most of them, the good ones, consider what your therapist is suggesting to be HIGHLY suspect.

Caution.

Peace,
J

G

·
If you don?t have any conscious memory of being abused in childhood, be VERY very skeptical about any therapist who is doing what I call ?diagnosing backwards.?

SOME people have dissociation as a result of massive trauma in childhood. Sometimes those people even claim they no longer remember the events. Sometimes therapy brings back memories.

That is VERY very VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY very.................... very rare.

The COMMON reality is this: sometimes we are driven into dp land NOT because of some violence or sexual abuse - but for things much more tame...yet, HIGHLY disturbing to US. Don?t buy into some therapists? beliefs that every ?trauma? must look like it belongs in a movie of the week staring Sally Field.

It is VERY rare for someone to not recall a trauma. VERY rare.
(sometimes during a horrible violent event, the person will recover and not remember while it actually happened, but those memories are NEVER coming back, they do not exist - there is no ?memory? ?in there? to come back.

The concept behind repressed memory is extremely complicated, and I could write a book on it. But...I am knowledgeable in the field of dissociation - and VERY well read re the best of the best psychiatric and analytic writers - most of them, the good ones, consider what your therapist is suggesting to be HIGHLY suspect.

Caution.

Peace,
J

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree with that.
the other thing is that if my subconscious has blocked something from my memory because it is too hard to bear, i don't want to unblock it. apart from if i was in a full on dp state and there was reason to believe that unblocking the memory may help lift the dp.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree with that.
the other thing is that if my subconscious has blocked something from my memory because it is too hard to bear, i don't want to unblock it. apart from if i was in a full on dp state and there was reason to believe that unblocking the memory may help lift the dp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
pdr said:
I'm not sure if you're at all recovered or not, but if you aren't, you'll definitely want to uncover ANY little detail of your life that could be bothering you and causing the DP- that's how you need to get by it. By facing it. But if you have recovered some, be careful.

Exponentially,
Grant with an "R"

·
Registered
86 Posts
pdr said:
I'm not sure if you're at all recovered or not, but if you aren't, you'll definitely want to uncover ANY little detail of your life that could be bothering you and causing the DP- that's how you need to get by it. By facing it. But if you have recovered some, be careful.

Exponentially,
Grant with an "R"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts