Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurricanes, Earth Quakes, Tsunamis so close together..... Hmmmm. Is this all just bad luck or is this signs from the master? Huge tragedies hitting parts of the earth that the bible says it would..... Is this just coincidence?

Discuss..... :lol:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
MrMortgage said:
Hurricanes, Earth Quakes, Tsunamis so close together..... Hmmmm. Is this all just bad luck or is this signs from the master? Huge tragedies hitting parts of the earth that the bible says it would..... Is this just coincidence?

It is said that these events will happen.

HOWEVER. Let's think about this.

Are they happening more or are we just better informed? The only reason I know that Pakistan just had a major earthquake is because of MSNBC/CNN and the Internet told me so...

It also says this:

"Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.'

English:
Travel will be much easier and frequent.
Knowledge will be greatly increased.

Pretty neat but who's to know.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MrMortgage said:

I've been thinking about this too. Thinking about the end of the world has always terrified me. I'm waiting for this rapture that is supposed to happen. Man that's gonna be freaky. After I learned about the rapture when I was younger I used to wake up in the middle of the night and check to see if my family was still there... to make sure God didn't snatch them up to safety and leave me to fend for myself in this doomed world.

·
Registered
853 Posts
THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO ENDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

please dont make me anymore anxious, im tired of worryin that a nuclear bomb/blckhole/giant rabbit from mars/Killer grannys/tornadoes/george bushes single brain cell/ THE LORD HALLULEH/ satan/

is going to send us to apcolypse

The end is not nigh

The rapture will never happen

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hurricanes, Volcanoes, Tsunamis and so forth, have been happening long before we were around. And they will continue to do so long after we are gone. They are natural processes, nothing more, nothing less. A lot worse has happened in the past, and every time we have people rushing to the confessional in fear of the end of the world...and it's never happened....it's a little bit boring. When I see the Manic Street Preachers (not the band) with their sandwich boards proclaiming 'The end of the world is nigh', I won't to go up and add: 'The end of the world is nigh, one day. Probably'

I can, however, guarentee that the world will end in about 4 billion years time when the sun swells into a read giant and burns the earth to a crisp.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Love each other and worship me,otherwise I will destroy you.Conditional love;the cornerstone of all mental illness.

A great book to read on the subject of organized religion,especially christianity is the Rough Guide to the Da Vinci Code.Its well written and without any agenda.I challenge anyone,christian or athiest to read it and remain the same about your beliefs after doing this.

In the meantime,I will continue to pack my now finished arc with cans of beans and hope God sends a flood,and not an earthquake.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I think falling free's thought of George Bush's single brain cell theory being the end of manknd could be close. :?

Rev, it was interesting reading your post. When you said at the end...Who knows?...I thought, Martin will know. 8)

Hey Martin, when you blow by, give me a shout out! :p

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Oi Terri*. I don't pretend to 'know'. I just, like most people who haven't got their heads stuck in the sand, look around at reality and make semi-informed judgements. I mean, what else can we do? Except dream up nice religious stuff of course?

:twisted:

·
Registered
447 Posts
There are these texts from all religions predicting future development of our speciment, as well as dissasters, pain, starvations, and so on.

Someone told me that the bible speaks of "iron birds" spiting fire, because of today's aircrafts. That's wrong, it's an older (way older than Christendom) myth of the Stymphalian Birds (one of the 12 labours of Hercules). But even if it wasn't, someone can interpret this in every possible way.

And besides, can we confirm the originality of religions' texts? They could have been re-writen many times (till they go in print at large),

Human race has been developing since the beginning (and thus transportation and information). The people who wrote these texts understood (well, it didn'took them long to think) that better technology (better take the horse than walk all the way) means more available information for a wider audience and better transportation mediums.

And as for disasters, they were always here, Copyright (c) Martin :D

I don't believe that there is god. However, I find small bits of religion-coping in myself, from time to time. Today, I am almost sure that (the thing that I am naming as) DP/DR got in when I realised that death was the end of my existance. I am against religion, but I don't hate it. I hate the people who take it under exploitation.

Sigmund Freud has two interesting quotes uppon religion:

Sigmund Freud said:
Religion... comprises a system of wishful illusions together with a disavowal of reality, such as we find in an isolated form nowhere else but in amentia, in a state of blissful hallucinatory confusion.

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis.
(I got the quotes from WikiQuote: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Oops, wait a minute...

that's better.

Sometimes it can take a while getting your head out of the sand. :)

Really, I don't feel I have my head in the sand or that I am dreaming. I just feel like I personally have an opinion that goes along with some thoughts I have come to have faith in over the years. Lots and lots of others thoughts and beliefs I just can't go with. Mine are quite simple.

I realize how religion of all kinds have been changed over the ages to suit man's needs. Because of that, when I read things like you wrote about as far as the Bible, Brainsilence, I have to say I agree that those things can't be confirmed.

I come to this thread to read people's thoughts and harass Martin a bit. It kind of brings me a balance for some strange reason.

Peace to all.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a Biblical end of the world. Rather I would worry about a purely scientific natural phenomenon that would wipe out the human race while leaving the earth just fine. We aren't the Earth, we're just animals like any other living thing on this giant rock.

Its funny when I hear, specifically about bird flu. The CDC, WHO, and other health officials are saying that a pandemic is inevitable, not a matter of if it will happen but when it will happen. Many countries, are not ready. The united states is saying that it plans more of a military response since drug companies are too greedy to spend money on development of vaccine. And even if a vaccine was development theres no guarantee that it would work. The net result of a flu outbreak would be major cities under martial law, rioting, mass death, large groups of people being quarantined and all that fun stuff. Ballpark figures are 5 to over 200 million people killed worldwide. What the disease doesn't kill the resulting economic depression and disruption of society may.

But then again it might not happen during our lifetime, and we may dodge a bullet. That just leaves global warming, war, terrorism, running out of oil, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

Don't worry though just go back to watching TV (NOT CNN) and forget about it like I attempt to do.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intersting scattered! I dont enjoy the "news" "media" cause the government controls the media, and if you control the "news" "knowledge" you control the masses. It goes hand in hand. In example most the time when people get laid off from work, they might have an idea that it could be coming but its not for sure, then one day you show up to work and you find out you got laid off.

If you and your fellow workers would of had the knowledge before hand the company would of been at your will, but the fact that you were kept in the dark about the situation, you were at their will.

Same difference with the media! That's why you notice that the media on each different TV station cover basically the same stories.

Like when a rat or mouse is running loose in city hall and makes front page news on each channel, You know there is much more interesting stuff to talk about but, all the news stations are working together with the government.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Scattered
The net result of a flu outbreak would be major cities under martial law, rioting, mass death, large groups of people being quarantined and all that fun stuff. Ballpark figures are 5 to over 200 million people killed worldwide. What the disease doesn't kill the resulting economic depression and disruption of society may.

But then again it might not happen during our lifetime, and we may dodge a bullet. That just leaves global warming, war, terrorism, running out of oil, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

Don't worry though just go back to watching TV (NOT CNN) and forget about it like I attempt to do.
And that seems to be the end result of mose predictions by the prophets of "doom and gloom". It gives you the perfect justification for giving up and sitting on your arse.

People have been predicting similar "end of the world" or "destruction of humanity" scenarios for hundreds, even thousands of years. Not once have their predictions yielded in truth.

That's not to say that yours won't. But even if it does it's a pointless position. The result of your gloomy predictions could be either:

A) You're wrong, in which case wasting your life due to this will be, well, a waste.

B) You're right, in which case we're "all fucked" anyway, in which case we may as well have a great time why we still can.

Whatever the case, it doesn't make sense to "sit and watch TV" while life passes you by. It's just another excuse, cloaked in false-rationality, to allow you to avoid life and its problems.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm not wasting my life based on predictions, believe me, there are many other reasons that I waste my life. Its just that sometimes people wonder why I can't just be happy. I feel like I can't be happy because I live in a world that has no prejudice when it comes to killing people. Women, children, babies, whatever. People die and suffer all the time and it doesn't make any sense. People try to justify suffering through religion or their own personal philosophies but none of these ideas hold, in my opinion.

I also believe that people who preach optimism, if put through a completely horrible situation such as mass disease, war, etc would crumble psychologically. We can deny pain, but when its staring us in the face its not so easy to be happy or justify suffering.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe humans make such senarios as a coping mechanism against ignorance:

"Since we have failed to fully understand this world (or at least, we feel this way) let's assume that it's going to be destroyed (preferably with a spectacular way) and that way it will be confirmed that it is indeed as futile as we (at least some of us) feel that it is. Thus, our perception, will not have to go through judgement. Hah!... Easy! P:D"

·
Registered
671 Posts
Had the world made itself known to me I wouldn't have to resort to entertaining ideas of destruction.

If I really saw above and beyond my complaining, something true and eternal and meaningful I wouldn't believe that this is all for nothing with no lasting qualities.

When I look at things as clearly as my distorted mind can see all I see is moments of great joy and moments of horrible sadness. This isn't proportionate. For every smile or laughter of joy there are an endless number of people in the most horrible of agony. People will tell you to ignore this. And they are correct. You should ignore this. But when I call attention to it, don't call me morbid, and don't call the action of thought pointless. It may serve no immediate purpose but its an illustration of our lack of an ability to put meaning to misery. Most people ignore, deny, or paint over the areas of shit psychologically.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. A lot Humans put a lot of faith in science and medicine, things that were made and discovered by man. For example, the laws of physics... We really can test the laws of physics, out of our solar system, In my opinion they can change every 1,000,000,000 miles. Who knows?

The point I'm trying to makes we human cant even live successfully on this one little planet, but yet we are so full of ourselves in thinking that we know it all, or know a lot.

If we cant even control ourselves on one little planet, we should be ashamed of that.

Needless to say I don?t put much faith in man at all, my brother studied astrophysics for 4 years at UC Berkley and even he admits that the laws of physics bend and change when they make a new discovery or the government wants it to.

So basically everything we know is just theory. EVERYTHING WE KNOW IS A PRODUCT OF OUR HUMAN MIND.

I choose to believe in Christ and GOD because it's the only text on this planet that gives knowledge, wisdom, and can I say "predictions" of future events.

Comon' the weather man cant even predict the weather a day before it happens but yet this ancient text gets major world events right 3000 years before it happens.

In the end who knows, I also must admit I'm only human and I lose my faith in God even though he has done some amazing things for me... It's human nature and the bible explains that. It's just interesting how a book that's so old, and written by such primative humans can has so much wisdom and knowledge it can teach us advanced human some amazing things.

Dont forget, the UK and The USA were built on Christianity.... :idea:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't see the Bible as being able to predict anything. If you are making reference to the title of this thread, well there have been similar events all throughout history. Earthquakes, tsunamis, asteroids, disease, war, etc these aren't Biblical things, these are things that are part of the package of existence. They happen, and just because we have been relatively sheltered from major disasters does not mean that the second we see an event on the horizon that threatens our life, its automatically armageddon or Biblical prophecy.

When it comes to predicting things, the Bible is vague enough that its "predictions" can and have been applied to anything. It doesn't predict, its simply human nature to see patterns where there are often none.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scattered said:
I don't see the Bible as being able to predict anything. If you are making reference to the title of this thread, well there have been similar events all throughout history. Earthquakes, tsunamis, asteroids, disease, war, etc these aren't Biblical things, these are things that are part of the package of existence. They happen, and just because we have been relatively sheltered from major disasters does not mean that the second we see an event on the horizon that threatens our life, its automatically armageddon or Biblical prophecy.

When it comes to predicting things, the Bible is vague enough that its "predictions" can and have been applied to anything. It doesn't predict, its simply human nature to see patterns where there are often none.
That's all true scattered but one thing that sticks in my mind is Gods word on "the war started in the east and it will end in the east" It also goes on by naming the countries that will be involved.

You have to read and study the bible to understand that the prophcies arent really that vague. I was on the same page with you scattered about 1 year ago, but once I started to study Gods word it all made sense. You have to do the studying yourself, and not count on the history channel and other people to tell you about the word.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts