Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is waaaaay off topic, but weather is an interest of mine.
Folks in and around Fort Myers, Florida are currently experiencing sustained winds of 145 miles per hour. That's the constant, steady breeze. Gust are over 175 miles per hour. They will have winds, sustained, of over 100 mph for at least three hours.
That's incredible to me. Most places in the world, winds of that speed and that duration would blow absolutely everything away. Trees, bushes, grass, dirt, buildings, cars, cats, dogs, people, etc. While they're used to the occasional hurricane down there, this one made landfall as a Category 4. Very big bummer. Storm surge is predicted at 20 feet, add some 25-30 foot waves on to that, and there might be a problem. Large parts of that whole state aren't 40 feet above sea level.
Best of luck to any DP'ed Florida friends......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sc said:
this is waaaaay off topic, but weather is an interest of mine.
I'm still waiting for the whole day after tomorow thing...
I'm an equally interested Canadian...errr ice block...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came through New York last night and was a complete "non event" - had tapered to nothing but rain and a little wind.

But yes, the devastation in Florida is horrible.

I grew up in New Orleans and we had several terrible hurricanes when I was a kid. Terrifying! One blew our kitchen windows out. (no, that is not when my anxiety and dp started, lol)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always wanted to go through a hurricane. Like I say, weather is an interest of mine. I've been lucky enough to be in the vicinity of three tornadoes though. Now THAT is destruction. Once when I was still a kid - mom had to forcibly drag me down to the basement just as our garage exploded. Didn't blow away, it actually exploded. Very cool.
I see Tropical Storm Earl is floating towards the Carribean right now - and I have still another two weeks off work.
I also like to take long drives. Tempting...........

·
Registered
86 Posts
My brother and his girlfriend were in Florida starting about 2 days before Charley hit. But they're back now, they made it. They just sat through it and played cards. And slept, too. At least they're fine.

Grant with an "R"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.