Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else look at humans and see them as animals, monkeys, or aliens? Can you describe what this symptom is like for you? Does it induce anxiety?

Also, do you ever look at modern technology and feel like we are in the future, or look at the sky and realize we are walking around on a planet? I feel like dpdr causes you to see things how they REALLY are... can anyone else relate? I'm curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All these feelings are typical of DP/DR. That's how everything feels, it's not how they are. You're intrigued by these feelings because they're new, and perhaps for that reason kind of interesting. And maybe this intrigue will cause you to think about them in more depth, take them seriously, maybe even try to enjoy them. Some of the feelings and realisations aren't specific to DP/DR, they are just a result of the abstract thinking that DP/DR encourages. For instance, the feeling/realisation of walking around on a planet. You don't need DP/DR to realise this, you just need to think abstractly. The feeling of seeing humans as animals etc. though is a feeling specific to DP/DR, caused by your semi-asleep brain, and this isn't very enjoyable - no one enjoys looking at their Mum and not recognising the alien before them. So, be careful to not conflate the cool realisations of abstract thought and the awful feelings of DP/DR. Maybe you will accidentally conflate the two and try to enjoy it for a bit (I think that's what I did at the start of my DP/DR) but trust me it will get boring as fuck.

So yeah, try not to conflate some of the coolness of abstract thought with the awful pain of DP/DR - like I certainly did!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All these feelings are typical of DP/DR. That's how everything feels, it's not how they are. You're intrigued by these feelings because they're new, and perhaps for that reason kind of interesting. And maybe this intrigue will cause you to think about them in more depth, take them seriously, maybe even try to enjoy them. Some of the feelings and realisations aren't specific to DP/DR, they are just a result of the abstract thinking that DP/DR encourages. For instance, the feeling/realisation of walking around on a planet. You don't need DP/DR to realise this, you just need to think abstractly. The feeling of seeing humans as animals etc. though is a feeling specific to DP/DR, caused by your semi-asleep brain, and this isn't very enjoyable - no one enjoys looking at their Mum and not recognising the alien before them. So, be careful to not conflate the cool realisations of abstract thought and the awful feelings of DP/DR. Maybe you will accidentally conflate the two and try to enjoy it for a bit (I think that's what I did at the start of my DP/DR) but trust me it will get boring as fuck.
So yeah, try not to conflate some of the coolness of abstract thought with the awful pain of DP/DR - like I certainly did!
Ok, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Does anybody else look at humans and see them as animals, monkeys, or aliens? Can you describe what this symptom is like for you? Does it induce anxiety?

Also, do you ever look at modern technology and feel like we are in the future, or look at the sky and realize we are walking around on a planet? I feel like dpdr causes you to see things how they REALLY are... can anyone else relate? I'm curious.
This is existential thinking....Its common with DP...Almost like we are over analysing the things and people around us....Makes us feel we are observing things in a way that most other people cant...It is a direct result of being hyper aware and also because when we are anxious or DPed all our senses are heightened...Its classic DP hyper awareness...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Humans *are* animals. Comparatively intelligent animals. It's just acknowledging a truth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have felt that way. It is definently wierd because we are animals, we are related to other primates but it feels like we dont belong and we look so different from everything else living here and think about everything in a way we can only call human nature. When u study it, it makes sense why we are the way we are but it still feels weird. To me, i feel misplaced, as if we shouldnt exist but i just have to remind myself how everything makes sense and forget about it. I even had that feeling yesterday so i get what u mean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts