Depersonalization Support Forum banner

How to calm back down to baseline faster?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Emptyflask 
#1 ·
Hi,
ive concluded that essentially my dpdr is due to anxiety, i could probably get diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder without a problem.
However, thats still super hard to conquer. This one thing is something i have yet to find anything close to a solution for:
Basically, 90% of days i hit an overwhlem point during the day. Usually after the first few hours of the day and doing some activity. It feels like im speeding up internally faster and faster, stress hormones rise, mind spins faster. etc.(dpdr ofc gets insane then)
Essentially anxiety but without that classic "fear component"(belly and chest sensations).

I usually go home after those peak points, hoping ill calm down soon, but i dont.
On average id say it takes about 6 fking hours until my nervoussystem is on a managable and bearable level again.Every day.
Thats too long.
Im at home and feel like i cant sit or lie still, cant focus and be with anything, its just a tournado of undirected stress inside. And that goes on for hours and hours. Until eventually, usually around midnight i start to calm down.
I have yet to find anything that helps me calm down faster.

A lot of my anxiety is kept alive through my need to control the present moment all the time, thats very true and theres many moments where my ocd is whats keeping me stressed.
But in this overwhelmed state, not even giving up control etc. seems to help or be the driving force behind it.
It feels like im physically stuck there until my body decides to calm down.

Any tipps or thoughts are appreciated!
thx!

See less See more
#3 ·
It is really hard to do for a while when you first try this method im about to mention because anxiety is not easy to control but what you need to do is train yourself to stop thinking about whats happening to you in that moment and think about something else, like your breathing or your heartbeat are good examples. Controlling your breathing and training yourself to only focus on the breath is very helpful in calming the body down very fast because you are not thinking about the problem or anxiety, only breathing. Also having a full belly helps. Hunger seems to exacerbate anxiety ive noticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.