Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of DPers have experienced a surprising reaction from their family and friends and medical professionals, when they don't seem that concerned about your description of DP. I certainly have. The experience of this condition doesn't seem to translate well when described to people. DP is often described as nothing "feeling real" or feeling like you are "living in a dream". Imagine if you have never experienced DP and that description probably wouldn't seem that bad to you either. After all, dreaming usually isn't an unpleasant thing. Nothing "feels real" doesn't have much of an impact when described to someone either. It kind of sounds more like a mild depression.

Where do you think DP should be placed in terms of seriousness and danger to health? Do you think it should be considered as serious as Bipolar or a psychosis or should it be ranked alongside conditions such as a mild depression or social anxiety? I think medical professionals usually seem to place it alongside the latter ones. I often wonder if DP is a sign that your mental health has become seriously unmanageable and therefore should be treated accordingly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
there is no recognized treatment for DP, so I don't think it really matters much how severely medical professionals classify it. And since it is classified as a "mental health" problem, it's probably a good thing that they classify it is as not-so-serious, since they tend to aggressively destroy the brains of people whose issues they consider serious.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is no recognized treatment for DP, so I don't think it really matters much how severely medical professionals classify it. And since it is classified as a "mental health" problem, it's probably a good thing that they classify it is as not-so-serious, since they tend to aggressively destroy the brains of people whose issues they consider serious.
Good point

1 - 3 of 3 Posts