Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Edit: For those who have not heard of C-PTSD, from it's Wikipedia page:

Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD; also known as complex trauma disorder)is a psychological disorder thought to occur as a result of repetitive, prolonged trauma involving harm or abandonment by a caregiver or other interpersonal relationships with an uneven power dynamic. C-PTSD is associated with sexual, emotional or physical abuse or neglect in childhood, intimate partner violence, victims of kidnapping and hostage situations, indentured servants, victims of slavery, sweatshop workers, prisoners of war, victims of bullying, concentration camp survivors, and defectors of cults or cult-like organizations. Situations involving captivity/entrapment (a situation lacking a viable escape route for the victim or a perception of such) can lead to C-PTSD-like symptoms, which include prolonged feelings of terror, worthlessness, helplessness, and deformation of one's identity and sense of self.
If you can related to this symptom list and C-PTSD, which symptoms specifically and were they before and after DP/DR hit or strictly after?

Some collected symptoms from online sources:

Interpersonal/Social:

• Difficulty describing feelings
  • Restricted range of affect
  • Trust Issues
  • Hates crowds
  • Proud of ability to not show emotion
  • Proud of self reliance
  • Prefers to be alone when stressed
  • Difficulties interpreting body language of others
  • Feels need to please everyone
  • Can't say no
  • Fear that others are talking about you
  • Fear that others don't like you
  • Feeling that others cannot be trusted
  • Periods of inability to feel close to other people
  • Feeling that people will take advantage of you if you do not protect yourself
  • Preoccupation with acceptance or approval
  • Anti-social or disconnected behavior
  • No or limited interest in peers
  • Withdraws under stress
  • Selective mutism

Cognitive:

• Memory issues
  • Difficulty making decisions
  • Poor concentration
  • Difficulty starting or completing tasks and projects
  • Episodes of disassociation - severe daydreaming or zoning out
  • Sudden blankness of the mind
  • Forgetfulness/memory loss
  • Memory loss surrounding the trauma
  • Periods of disconnection from reality
  • Stutter or other speech impediment

Emotional:

• Reactive depression
  • Stresses out in normal situations
  • Sudden feelings of sadness, anger, or fear with or without provocation
  • Distressing feelings of loneliness
  • Feeling that there is no future, you have no future, your life/future will be prematurely cut off
  • Argumentativeness/aggression/irritability
  • Feelings of Guilt or Shame
  • Feeling that you deserve to be punished
  • Lack of emotions - feeling neutral/numb

Physical:

• Sudden or frequent nausea/dizziness/faintness
  • Pain in the chest/heart
  • Poor apatite
  • Rapid breathing
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Inability to catch breath
  • Muscle jerks, especially in limbs
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Weakness
  • Hyper/hypo-sensitivity: extremely sensitive to touch or insensitive to pain

Self-abandonment/self-harm:

• Difficulty identifying or understanding feelings
  • Does not believe self body language means anything
  • Difficulty taking care of physical or emotional needs
  • Self harm/self punishing eg cutting
  • Seeks high risk activities
  • Cavalier attitude toward death
  • Failures of self-protection

Hypervigilance/hyperarousal:

• Difficulty relaxing - always being alert
  • Periods of restlessness - just wanting to move around or frequent fidgeting
  • Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
  • Jumpiness/Exaggerated startle reflex
  • Nervousness when left alone

Other:

• Loss of interest
  • Loss of ambition
  • Anhedonia
  • Low self-esteem/confidence
  • An overwhelming sense of injustice and a strong desire to do something about it

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can relate to all the social, cognitive and “other” category but I have almost none of the physical or self harm ones. What is the difference between c-ptsd and ptsd?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never heard about this but yeah I can say I have been struggling with almost everything on the list. Everything but nothing in the self harm part.
It was some parts of it before dpdr but the majority is more recent after onset.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeh I've mentioned before that I recon I have this. PTSD is usually defined to one core event like being in a tank that exploded in battle. Complex PTSD (cPTSD) is related to many traumas both minor and major that may well be years apart. This could be from emotional abuse/neglect, physical or sexual abuse or a mixture of all three.

Also glad to see there is no mention of flashbacks in this definition. I spoke to a consultant psychiatrist and asked him if I had this. He said "do you have constant flashbacks". I said no, I seem to have repressed memories that I am gaining more access to recently though. He said "you don't have flashbacks so it can't be ptsd"... he looked confused when I mentioned complex ptsd so he probably hadn't heard of it. Another fantastically trained and underpaid mental health professional at work

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of my children had a suicide attempt about 3 months before this all started.its the only thing i can actually cry about.all my life ive never been able to cry properly.i dont think i get flash backs but a lot of things keep reminding me of it and it keeps coming into my head.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm sorry to here that. I can't imagine what that must be like to go through. I would personally say that is a significant trauma enough to cause Depersonalization disorder. I think therapy would be a good option as well as getting your child help.

That could certainly be enough to cause PTSD. I think cPTSD would be more unlikely in this case but not impossible. I would recommend an anti depressant that could help such as mirtazapine

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im on 45mg mirtazapine,50mg pregabalin twice a day and starting another antidepressant next week.
Mirtazapine got me sleeping and eating but does nothing for anxiety.i think the pregabalin is starting to help with the anxiety somewhat.neither have improved the 24/7 derealization though.i dont get depersonalization though.once or twice but inly while i was panicking

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can relate to all the social, cognitive and "other" category but I have almost none of the physical or self harm ones. What is the difference between c-ptsd and ptsd?
Based on what I've read the difference between the two is PTSD is from one major event such as war, where C-PTSD is from prolonged and continuous trauma typically inflicted by a care-giver or by somebody who has power over you somehow (older sibling, teacher, uncle, etc.) during childhood. This can be emotional neglect, or emotional/physical/sexual abuse. Here is another article on it from a site that has articles specifically revolving around childhood abuse and C-PTSD related things :https://childhoodtraumarecovery.com/2014/07/28/the-difference-between-ptsd-and-complex-ptsd/

Dissociation is a key component as well: https://childhoodtraumarecovery.com/category/dissociation/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I absolutely believe this is what we all have. It's trauma stuck in the body. A big enough event or an accumulation of too many stressors finally pushed our brains over the edge so to speak, and we have shut down subconsciously. Keep having hope everyone. Accept that it's going to be shitty for a long time. I've been in this for 14 months but things are VERY slowly getting a little easier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts