Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder how long everyone experiences this? I will have minutes and hourse where things just dont look and feel right! I will have days where things seem wrong! It is a matter of severity! Like all day today I have felt like I was in DP reality but in a mild way. A few weeks ago I had about 2 or 3 hrs where I swore I was still dreaming when I got out of bed!! I was convinced something wasnt real and then convinced myself it was and made it past it and then was pretty "normal" the rest of the day!

So I ws wondering how everyone experiences this? Do you have minutes and hours that are intense like me and then whole days that are just sorta fpoggy but not too bad? Do you have whole days where you feel "normal"? How often does it come on? Please share!

· Registered
669 Posts
I have a very very mild sense of DP all the time. Otherwise I have episodes. These episodes usually last anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. I'm able to maintain my head enough so as to stop them from going beyond a certain time period. However, it is possible for me to have it severely for an entire day. The intial episode that started this badly for me was 5 days of very severe DP 24/7. I believe I also developed a panic disorder because of this.

The symptoms that I do seem to have 24/7 is a lack of concentration, a slight feeling of being "off balance" and a foggy head.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
foggy head is a good way to explain it I guess. Like I feel hazy all day! I also have a constant lack of concentrationa dn I also have an anxiety disorder (self diagnosed). I am always thinking ... fearing something bad because of this unreal feeling! I am actually in the midst of a breakup and it is very hard in general. This is a 4yr BF and father of two of my children. Alos, he knows me and I am comfortable with him and it feels so comforting and safe to be around him when I am in the grips of a DP melt down! It is so scarey to think I will be without that now :( !

G

·
I also live with a mild form of 24/7 dp and some dr. Sometimes I get really intense dp for only a few minutes at a time. My dp gets extremely intense when I am sitting in one place doing something staring like: in counseling (which is probably the worst), driving, on my computer, reading, doing crafts (i/e. making cards, scrapbooking), etc. Anyway, in this way, I kind of know what will make my dp worse, so I try to stay away from these activities by being with people and making myself talk and engage with others even though it's hard. But unfortunately, I still feel very disconnected and isolated all the time no matter what I do.

· Registered
669 Posts
If im in any introspective state or doing something that would lead me to think more inward the DP is instantly recognizable and intensified. This can be something as simple as looking out a window, staring at a wall, laying down in a quiet room without any distractions. I need to be around my family or other people to make myself feel as if I'm connected, both to them, the world, and the concept of "normality" in general. The less active I am, and I'm generally inactive, the more DPed I feel. Its as if the rest of the world is somewhere else and I occupy a seperate and horrifying space that is away from all that is familiar.

· Registered
234 Posts
Chronic usually, weeks or months between breaks, not even really sure I've ever felt COMPLETLY "normal" since the first episode.

· Registered
298 Posts
squish,

Typically I have foggy-headed feelings (especially in the morning and later in the evening), but they are probably remnants of DP: nothing full fledged. I get DP more when I'm traveling or in a new place physically (well, that's probably derealization more than anything). Nonetheless, when the episode hits I can only describe it as up and down for a while (a couple of days) as I go in and out of over-awareness of self, etc. during the stressor period. It's periodic, never consistent.

I believe this periodic "foggy" and "intensee" back and forth is quite common and something most of us feel, some probably more on one side than the other.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I read your replies and think of the definition of DP I found on this site I realize that i have to be DR not DP! I have a total sense of self! I dont get those weird feelings like I dont exsist I get feelings like my world doesnt exsist... much like the difinition I found here: like I am on an uninvited acid trip! I feel as though I am a part of the reality but watching it go on as if an actor in a play. I still have all my emotions and feeling I just fear I will realize I really am dreaming one day! Or come to find out the reality I always knew was wrong!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.