Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was getting better felt better was sleeping well dreams no longer troubling me in the morning & somewhat closer to people & animals life bit more worth living. Then something changes didn't even know what this time now I feel bad. But is feeling good & bad correlated with how depersonalized you're feeling? I've had this before where I would start feeling again then I'd cry and the next day I'd be super numb again, it's as if I can't handle emotions any more. Did I feel better because I was in a happy dp bubble floating in the sky? What if I only felt better so I could feel worse (the happier you are the worse sadness will be). I haven't been this bad for over a month. Inclined to distance myself bc then I've created the loneliness so I can't be hurt by others. I feel isolated and lonely but maybe that's bc how I feel in reality too (even without distancing myself.) How do you even know if you're getting better? Losing hope it's all hollow again

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
Is feeling good = how much DP'd you are? sure it can be, for me it can be either way however, either really not DP'd and feel good or the floaty which you explained where everything doesn't really matter as you may as well be walking on air, that's the kinda where DP is in full force and has you numb.

Is feeling bad with DP the only way to feel better? NO, you can and will feel good without DP making you numb.

I see how you might have some intense emotions and go back into the bubble floating feeling for a while, for us who have been feeling numb a while, emotions will take a while to be regular and feel normal and not intense I guess but i've experienced both and emotions slay the bubble feeling.

I would try and not isolate yourself 'so you can't be hurt by others', that's something therapy sounds super useful for as life is about people.

How do you know if you are getting better? In my experience the major steps I made took months and I didn't notice them until they were gone, until then it was one foot forward, one step back and i'm still on my journey. Don't micro manage DP it will only add stress and won't help, if you have anxious thoughts it will just keep them going, most people who cure DP and I know a few personally who never used this site all say they didn't know when they cured it, they realised one day it was gone, my theory is simple, they had got to that 80/90% mark where they were too busy living there old life again.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
When the persistence of the DP eases and also when it starts to become less disturbing and terrifying....These are good indicators of improvement and ultimately recovery....

Often it tends to linger in the background for along time once its dominance eases off...But this doesnt mean you are not getting better...

People also often also say that recovering is like 2 steps forward 1 step back....They will be fine for a few days and then all of a sudden its back to helll again for another while...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts