Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I take vitamin D orally at the request of my primary MD. (5000 IU). I also take 250mg of magnesium in tablet form. I began taking the magnesium after experiencing arm and hand tremors which affect my ability to

play billiards at a high level. I did some research and saw advice to eliminate caffeine and take a magnesium supplement. The improvement was dramatic. Fortunately, my tremors are apparently not the result

of neurological illness. About the same time that I began to experience the tremors, another high level player at my local club also began to have them. I haven't seen him at the billiards club in about a year, so

I asked a known friend what his story was. I was told his tremors worsened to the point he can no longer play billiards. I guess he has the onset of a neurological illness. I think the primary benefit of taking a supplement is the belief that you are actually doing

something to help yourself. It's called "the placebo effect". For the most part, supplements are a billion dollar snake oil business. Here is a brief summary of testosterone precursors for athletic enhancement

and sexual health. You can spend anywhere from $25 to $70 a month on this worthless garbage.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031395507000880

The single best thing you can do for your health is eat a balanced diet, and take a daily walk.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Most supplements I take are in powdered form, which I take with a swig of water, so you don't usually have to take a pill or capsule if you have trouble with them.

The one I take most regularly these days is spirulina, a natural food stuff well absorbed by the body, that contains lots of things like B-vitamins, magnesium and zinc, and acts like a natural multi-vitamin. I find that it feeds and supports my nervous system when under stress.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I pop the pills up my bum. Not sure they have an effect but it sure gets me going in the morning!! lol jk I swallow them.

I have started taking choline recently and huperzine A (supposedly increases acetyl choline). Cod liver oil, magnesium/zinc/calcium tablet, b vits. I am thinking that increasing acetylcholine and gaba are the best bet at getting the body to relax, activate the parasympathetic nervous system and perhaps repair my frazzled nerves.

Not high jacking the thread, just making a comment here. I've tried a billion supplements, and the things that actually make me feel better consistently are DOING things rather than taking things. I think if you want to increase gaba/acetylcholine and actually feel more embodied, things like meditation, yoga, exercise and diet are great for that. The only thing special about my diet is oats, yoghurt, kefir in the morning as gut bacteria make GABA. The brain studies showing changes in important attentional/emotional/memory structures is pretty rife. Supplements having these effects however, there aren't a lot of studies.

I just did an hours meditation, 40mins yoga, then a 20 min jog. Feel pretty good! Am dedicating solid time to it now, then tapering down a bit. Just need to solidify in my mind that these things make me feel better/more relaxed NOW!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts