Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and have found it very comforting to find others who understand how I feel. but, how do you explain this to someone who has never experienced it? I don't think I could have fully grasped derealization before it happened to me. I have a supportive spouse, yet I haven't felt comfortable sharing this with him. I feel like I am going crazy and have no idea how to convey this to him or anyone else. Does anyone have any tips on having such a conversation? I'm very worried about trying to effectively communicate this to people who care about me so I am feeling more isolated by the day.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Welcome to the site!

From my experience, I was would try to first explain how you fell into derealization. For me, it happened from crippling anxiety. When I tried mentioning it to people, I led with that. If I had just described my symptoms without any foundation, I found that people were very easily worried and frustrated - mostly because they didn't know how to help. So, I would give that a shot. It seems to me that your spouse is supportive, so I don't think you'll have any trouble communicating this with him.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Describe it to them using analogys...

For example "Its like im constantly in a terrible nightmare that I cant wake up from"

"Its like im constantly distant from the real world"

Tell them .........."I cant concentrate" "My memory has gone bad" "I cant sleep" "I am in a constant state of panic and hyper awareness" "I am very scared" etc etc etc

Show them this website and some of the stories and examples of symptoms...

Show them this..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Actually the section about Naloxone in that link is kinda interesting...Wonder if anybody on here ever tried Naloxone to treat Depersonalization....Sorry for hijacking your thread...I will start a thread myself...

I wish you the best ConfusedK...

You will get better in time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts