Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys let go of the fear that this might be forever??? Or where do you get the reassurance that this is a temporary thing?
I know that when it's a symptom of anxiety that it will go away for sure, but how do you know that yours is a symptom of anxiety?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've accepted that it's likely to be forever. I've already been in this state for more than a decade, so I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to never go away by now. It's most definitely not anxiety-related for me because my mood has absolutely no effect on it.

Reactions: Cancermoon and REB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've accepted that it's likely to be forever. I've already been in this state for more than a decade, so I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to never go away by now. It's most definitely not anxiety-related for me because my mood has absolutely no effect on it.
okay so, how did you get it? And what makes you think that this is forever?
I want to recover, ive had this now for 13 months after a panic attack after using xtc

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have accepted DP as part of my life now.... (Im not even going to mention how long Ive had DP for)......

By accepting it as part of me it helped take the power out of it and also helped me give up that ongoing losing battle I had with it to try and get rid of it completely..

Having said all this without meds I would be f****d......Meds have helped me to keep my DP at a manageable level for many years now...

BUT Nothing ever made it go away completely...It has always been there in the background for me and on several ocassions has raised its ugly head back into the chronic form I originally dealt with....

As a result I decided years ago to stop the fight agaisnt it and accept DP as part of my make up...It became less troublesome then...

NOW if I was now dealing with 24/7 chronic DP like I was all those years ago I would probably not be able to say the same things as above....I would literally want it gone....Because chronic DP is hell to go through...

I have manageable DP now and part of that was accepting that its there and probably always will be....Although who knows whats around the corner,,,Modern science is wonderful and is constantly evolving....One day DP will be very treatable I reckon...Just like all those other crazy killer illnesses that at one time or other were death sentences...For now I will accept that my DP is for the most part manageable....

Im a pretty regular 6 out of 10.....Which is fine by me...Because I can remember being seriously incapacitated by DP, literally unable to function at any level...I was a constant zero out of 10 then...Not very nice at all....So 6 out of 10 is a huge improvement that I dont complain about....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I needed to mourn the fact that I might experience important life events in a derealized haze, and that the joy of daily life is gone. The mourning is initially very intense, but it subsided and became something I only experience from time to time.

As for being like this "forever," that isn't necessarily the case. People have made amazing recoveries and done amazing things in spite of their mental limitations. For all you know, you could be fully recovered or living your dream life years from now. People are becoming more aware that fulfillment is attainable and comes from within, so you won't be alone in your quest.

At the very least, you'll eventually die, and then you likely won't be feeling any kind of way. Make the most of it, and don't give up on the prospect of full recovery.

As for knowing what DP is a symptom of, we would first need to know what DP is, which we do not.
I really want to have a full recovery but that fact that so many haven't made a full recovery is a huge setback for me :(
Why do some recover and some don't

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I really want to have a full recovery but that fact that so many haven't made a full recovery is a huge setback for me
sad.png

Why do some recover and some don't
If we knew this we would all be recovered fully...

Thats the main problem with DP...Treating it is a game of trial and error...What works for one doesnt necessarilly work for another....

We just try to find stuff that helps and when we do we stick to it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best "cure" for severe anxiety is to fix or at least fully address all of the problems in your life, including any tendencies to obsess or worry about things outside of our control. This can easily take a decade, if not longer, depending on personal finances and where you live.

Unfortunately, I don't know many people with DP, let alone people with DP who fully fixed their lives. So, there's no statistic on how well this is supposed to work on DP.

There are also people like Forest from DPSH and BigNoKnow from YouTube who had undiagnosed conditions that were causing their DP. They claim that their DP subsided after their conditions were properly treated.

I think counseling helps with specific personal issues. They may be able to help you "fix your life," as I put it, or work you through a crisis. Far as I know, symptom reduction from talk therapy is possible but not guaranteed.

Maybe this sheds some light on why some people's chronic depersonalization subsides and other's doesn't.
Thanks for the reply. But a loooooot of people are cured by just ignoring it or by adressing the issues/ lifestyle changes etc etc.
So it doesn't have to be that hard i think, i kinda have a clear picture on what i need to change and why i am in this place, i figured this out in the first month of having this with my mom. It doesn't have to take a decade i think.

I don't want to ignore your answer and i know that i made this topic but i kinda freaks me out still :( so i'm just searching for positive reactions

·
Registered
343 Posts
okay so, how did you get it? And what makes you think that this is forever?
I want to recover, ive had this now for 13 months after a panic attack after using xtc
I don't know how I got it. It just appeared. What makes me think it's forever? Extrapolation. If a trend continues unchanged for a long enough period-and that's more than a decade for me-I'd say it's reasonable to expect that the trend isn't going to change.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Why lean towards the expectation of improvement, or no improvement, when both are sources of unhappiness? It's easier for me to take life as it comes.
Well, I'm not actively leaning towards either, meaning I don't give it much thought usually. I only think about it when prompted, like now.

Absolutely. I take it as it comes too. If I'll be cured one day, that'd be great. If not, then it is what it is. I'm not in despair over it. Of course, life would be better without it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it’s important to accept the possibility of DP/DR never going away in order for you to find peace with yourself. The more you dwell on how long it will take for it to go away the harder life will feel. Some people learn to live with it and for others it goes away eventually. Whatever the end result may be it doesn’t mean we can’t make it in life, just means we have to push ourselves harder than others.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think it's important to accept the possibility of DP/DR never going away in order for you to find peace with yourself. The more you dwell on how long it will take for it to go away the harder life will feel. Some people learn to live with it and for others it goes away eventually. Whatever the end result may be it doesn't mean we can't make it in life, just means we have to push ourselves harder than others.
This is absolutely the way of it.............

Accept it....Dont fight it.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts