Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
816 Posts
Found out by accident, posted symptoms on another forum because I was unsure of what I was experiencing and someone said oh that sounds like depersonalisation. found depersonlisation.com first and thought the description most accurately described what I was going through than anything else. A month or so later found this site and joined.

· Registered
1,237 Posts
I was searching for the symptoms I was experiencing and came across that UNREAL site, which had a lot of stuff on it that I could relate to. I then tentatively called what I "had" "DP", not wanting to permanently label myself with it. That went on for a few years then I decided to give up and just say I've "got it" and try to work through it rather than questioning the ifs and maybes (symptoms in its own right).

So here I am :)

· Registered
835 Posts
about 4 years after the initial episode i came across a paragrapgh in a psychology book that described it and gave it a name. then looked it up on the net

· Registered
723 Posts
this year i looked up transcendental meditation on the internet and saw that "depersonalization" and "derealization" could become a permanent side effect. i was SHOCKED when i read the descriptions of what those disorders were. they listed my symptoms one by one...i had told so many people what i was experiencing and no one had ever been able to help me. it was such a huge thing for me to finally have a name for what i was experiencing.

· Registered
806 Posts
For about a year I struggled to describe the symptoms to my stupid worthless psychiatrist (this was back when I was 17), while he played dumb and pretended that he didn't know what I was talking about.

When I was 18, I finally heard the word 'depersonalization' from a psychologist.

I struggled from the late 70's through the early 80's trying to cure it (to no avail). Then I gave up on that and just stopped thinking about it until the late 90's, when I finally went online.

I started doing internet searches on it (as well as Asperger's, my other big issue). Found scads of information on DP/DR, but nothing useful insofar as a cure.

I first started coming here just to lurk in the "Regaining Reality" and "Alternative Remedies" sections earlier this year (never imagined that I would ever actually join), to see if anyone had stumbled across anything brilliant.

But of course, to this day that hasn't happened. (But I can quote any movie now!)

At least there are other people who experience reality the same way I do that I can hang with online, and that's very comforting.

e

· Registered
79 Posts
i was scared and had no clue what was wrong with me. i went to google and searched "dream like state" and i went to this like link for whatever i dont know it had to do with drugs and it was a forum like this and it had someone else who was experiencing the same stuff as me and they said it was dr/dp and so they told me to research dp and dr.

G

·
falling_free said:
Found out by accident, posted symptoms on another forum because I was unsure of what I was experiencing and someone said oh that sounds like depersonalisation. found depersonlisation.com first and thought the description most accurately described what I was going through than anything else. A month or so later found this site and joined.
same

· Registered
223 Posts
A year ago I was told I'm depressed, but I knew that wasn't the whole story. So I crabbed my magnifying glass and wrote "no feelings" on Internet and came across a Finnish site on depersonalization which I interpreted saying I was on a magnificent journey to Enlightenment or something. Unfortunately I kind of believed it so it took me a while to realize I'm actually sick. Last summer I found this site and could at last relate to someone but I felt writing here would've sucked me from the true layer of being to a wrong one so I couldn't sign in (I was pretty nutty back then). After the medication had calmed me down I started to realize I have an illness and now I'm trying to forget it.

· Registered
630 Posts
i started to research the symptoms of anxiety when the docs diagnosed me \and came across the list of symptoms one of been dp/dr and looked into that moreand came across dreamers website and everything clicked into place.....i hate having dp but i am grateful for knowing what is wrong with me

G

·
I came in contact with an old highschool friend about 3 years ago, through another old classmate who told me, after she listened how I was doing, that the other friend also had the same symptoms. I set up an appointment with that old schoolfriend. She also told me about the Dutch DP site. Then I found Dreamer's site and DPSelfhelp. She is also one of few people I have met in my life who suffers from DP. She has been of great help and it was kinda strange it was someone who had been so close in my past.

G

·
I was diagnosed with the disorder yesterday on a formal basis. Untill then I had heard members of my mental health team bandy about with the words dp etc but untill yesterday I had just considerd a symptom of the bpd I suffer with (a dissacotiation type thing)

G

·
googled the symptoms and eventually came accross some sites defining depersonalisation/derealisation. Came accross the old site but the forum wasn't up then...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.