Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, how can you make your mind understand that everything around you is real and not a 2d movie?

I would say my derealization was induced by stress, anxiety, post traumatic stress and a night of drinking. I got so drunk one night I just wanted to give up on life and just fall asleep forever. It's been around 6 weeks and I still feel I'm inside of a movie, I don't want to live my life like this forever. I'm 17 and I've recovered from this once, but right now I don't know how to deal with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And to add, I have prescription glasses which might alter my vision of the world from time to time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For me, it's hard to make my mind understand it by convincing it. To get some perspective, if I spend the whole day looking at a blueberry and telling myself "it's blue, it's blue, it's blue" I'll probably end up convincing myself the opposite just for analysing so much.

So honestly, I have no other tip but to stop analysing everything. I know it's easier said than done, but there comes a point where you'll probably get sick of constantly reassuring your mind everything's real when it tells you it's not. The truth is, you'll never know if everything is real or not, you just have to believe and trust that it is. Everything being a 2d movie is just a feeling, and the fact that you can put a finger on what feels wrong is the proof that it's nothing more than a feeling.

You've had this for 6 weeks? I've had it for about 5 months now and it hasn't gone easier but I have gotten used to it a lot more. I'm not saying this to undermine your feelings, just to assure you that no matter how long this lasts you'll survive it. And it won't last forever, even if it feels like it you will have to trust me when I say it won't. It's just induced by a difficult time period in your life.

You got this, I believe in you!:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mhm, screen time seems to induce this feeling more and interacting with objects like cards or whatever helps me cope a little. However sometimes I just wanna shut my eyes and keep it that way lmao. I hope yours goes away soon, it has to at the very least.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mhm, screen time seems to induce this feeling more and interacting with objects like cards or whatever helps me cope a little. However sometimes I just wanna shut my eyes and keep it that way lmao. I hope yours goes away soon, it has to at the very least.
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes even keeping the eyes open is pure torture. Whenever I'm experiencing extreme dpdr I'll literally just decide to shut my eyes and go to bed because I neither want or can deal with it. Screen time could for sure be something which induces the feeling, but honestly I have such a hard time putting my phone away because I feel as if my whole life is on it. Especially now with COVID that's the only way to keep in touch with friends, and all of my entertainment which might make me happy for the slightest second is on there lol. If I'm not on my phone I'm probably watching the tv or studying on my computer. It's all about finding something that works for you, I'd say try to do any tips you can get because even if 99% doesn't work, you'll find that 1% that helps you!

I really hope things get better for you. I'm 17 too and it's sucks to watch your life go by and not doing anything because of dpdr. But it will eventually get better!:)

Also, I wanted to ask, how would you say having glasses affects your dpdr?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the reason I wear glasses is because I’m shortsighted and sometimes when I take them off the world appears a bit more realistic and 3D. I suppose the effect the glasses create on my shortsighted vision replicates that of a TV screen, or perhaps the borders might remind me of the same borders when watching a movie on a tv screen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh okay! Well I’m shortsighted too but I wear contacts. I have noticed that when I try to put my glasses on I panic because my dpdr increases. Maybe consider trying out contacts? I can imagine wearing glasses would make everything look even more fake/through a window.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes, I seem to snap out of this feeling for a bit. I believe my condition might be related to depressive moods as well. Ever since this shit quarantine and disconnection from my friends, I felt like all there is to life is just consume media and so on. At this point in time I seem to find most things at school boring and time-consuming, like what the fuck is even the point? Sometimes, I get very angry. At my teachers, at my classmates, their stupid voices and gestures, I just want to kill them because of my anger haha. Don't take this the wrong way, please. I just seem to hate life and cannot stand it for a while. I remember on the night when I consumed alcohol I felt like I was at my worst - like life has no meaning and I wish I could go to my bed and sleep until the end of time. It was the first time I had fun in a long time during quarantine, so that might've been a factor. At this point school feels like work with no repayment, like an unbalanced system. With no quarantine the balance gets restored with parties, field trips, dances and so on. One more thing to add, there was a murder that took place in my town, a person got shot, usually these sorts of things are less commonly here because of how strict gun laws are in my country, however it happened and this stressed me out a lot, it made me realize how cruel the world can be in any part of it and how short and fragile life can be, how there's no going back after you or someone else dies - which most likely fueled my upcoming withdrawal even more. At this point, it seems like life is some sad, boring, hopeless movie/first person video game. I wonder if I COULD recover from this.

Any response from anyone who had a similar experience or any suggestions would be kind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could also explain why screen time makes me detached from reality - the flawless, pleasant reality and media on there sucks me into it and my brain refuses to deal with reality therefore it distorts it so I would have some sort of desire to escape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts