Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does your dp/dr get worse by watching horror shows? Because mine definitely does...

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Funny thing is I used to be really into horror when I was much worse (hence the username) because I felt so numb and it was the only thing that could get through that numbness. As I got better and became more sensitive I stopped watching horror altogether as it would spook me and I preferred a good nights sleep to lying in bed listening for creeks or watching shadows! These days I still watch horror shows, but I avoid the very spooky ones if it's near bedtime.

Horror is designed to unnerve you, so it's maybe not surprising if it effects your dp/dr. For some reason though I kept a degree of separation between the feeling of being weirded-out by a horror and dp/dr symptoms, although they can obviously be very similar or the same. The idiosyncrasies of interpreting feelings I guess, but I would use that camera effect from Jaws, where he's sitting in a chair and he realizes there's a shark, to describe what a panic attack was like to people.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As much as watching horror movies lowers my fever when I have a flu.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i finished a horror anime today, it was 12 episodes. Im actually proud i pushed myself to get through the whole thing even tho my dp would only get worse, i will never watch anything scary with dp/dr ever again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It doesn't have much of an effect on me personally because I like horror, unless there's something about it that hits me hard or bothers me very badly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the shitty show of walking dead messed with dpdr and pushed me so hard back in dp i lost my mind over it struggling for months now

·
Registered
89 Posts
i dont think so, it must be different with every person, because i absolutely love watching horror

·
Registered
631 Posts
No, not usually. The lack of realism and fantastic storylines attached to most horror make it difficult to really empathize with the situations, DP or no DP. And the cognitive problems I have means most of the time I’m not really paying attention to it anyways. I used to love horror before this hit, and watching old horror movies I remember from my younger years cam give me a nice feeling of nostalgia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts