Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I feel a lot better than when I first got dpdr, I feel like I'll have really good days then the next day I'll be super dp'd and depressed. Is this part of the recovery process? This past week I've been trying to not focus on my symptoms and just do normal things I used to do, it seems to be helping but I just feel like I'm so impatient and I'm not giving myself time to recover, because in the back of my mind I keep telling myself that I'll never be able to feel life like I used to. The existential thoughts are also hindering my ability to get better. Anyone else feel like this?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
very normal during the recovery process...Ups and downs...bad days and good...anxious days, depressed days....

Its a bit of a roller coaster to be honest...

You will find over time as you start to improve that the existential thinking patterns will become alot less troublesome and dominating and eventually will fade into the distance...

A big mistake alot of people make as regards recovery is the overwhelming desire to jump back into life as it was exactly before DP....Ya kinda have to let go of this idea because the truth is your life will become a little different after you get better....I think people (I did it myself) are preoccupied and obsessed with getting things back to the exact way they were pre DP.....Probably because they are afraid that if they dont get back to exactly the way it was before they have in some way lost out or have developed a different personality etc.....The truth is that the core essence of who we are will NEVER change as a result of DP but the way we look at things might change a little....

I think that instead of obsessing about getting our old life back we should more concentrate on being a new improved wiser version of ourselves....None of us will ever lose touch with our old lives....But it is up to us to make the best of things after we improve by accepting that things have changed a little and by doing whats good for us in the future as regards taking care of our mental health...Eat better, rest more, take up a productive interesting hobby, exercise a little more, reduce STRESS levels......

When we start to recover its up to us to use our DP as a life lesson and to become better people for it....

I think constantly pining for the old self and life actually hinders recovery.....Recovery is more about accepting things are now slightly different for all of us....

The ironic thing is that by concentrating more on getting better and improving your lifestyle the old you does start to come back (But in a much better form)

The constant wishing to be magically put back to exactly where you were before DP actually fuels the anxiety...And of course we all know what anxiety does to hyper sensitive people like us....Yup it fuels our DP...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yes it's normal. To paraphrase Janine who used to be on this board, dp is not like having a broken leg. If you break your leg, you cast it. It heals some the first day, more the second, even more the third.

Psychological recovery is NOT like that. It's up one minute and down the next and there are setbacks but that's part of the process and over time it just goes away.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Also your impatience is the big thing keeping you sick. You just have to be patient. The more you can be patient with the process of recovery the faster you will heal. Kind of like getting a shot, the doc will tell you to relax your arm otherwise it will hurt but your natural reaction is to tense up. So you gotta relax about this. You are in the right direction though so no worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts